Pack ‘n Play turns 20!

The Pack ‘n Play turned 20 years old on December 3rd. We had a little celebration here in the office to commemorate the occasion – noisemakers, birthday cake, sparkling cider (honest)- the whole shebang! It’s quite an accomplishment for a product to set the standard for an entire category and remain the leader for two decades!

Pnp turns 20 cake

I was fortunate to have been a part of the Pack ‘n Play team here at Graco for about a quarter of that time…..It began as a simple rectangular playard that folded easily to go places. It has since evolved into an essential part of a new mom’s wish list and home with lots of useful features being added to the product over the years.

Personally, I found that the earlier you start using a playard with your child, the easier life will be and the better you can keep your child contained (that’s the word moms use in research)- so you know where he or she is. Unfortunately I waited a bit too long and couldn’t keep my son in it long enough to get anything done around the house. He’d always be jumping out, running through the house, asking to borrow the car keys, whatever. But really we did not use it early enough for him to become accustomed to it and so by the time we tried it, he was used to the freedom of the open hallway….ZOOM! He was off to the races. So I grew accustomed to having projects half-finished, showers half-taken, and meals half-cooked.

I became rather skilled at running after him saying “NO,NO,NO,NO”….”SIT,SIT,SIT SIT” “STOP IT, STOP IT, STOP IT, STOP IT!”

I spent nearly 5 years working on the Pack ‘n Play team and envied the moms who, in focus groups, would tell us how wonderful playards are in helping them get things done around the house and keeping their little ones out of trouble. 25 million kids using Pack ‘n Plays over the past 20 years, and I get Harry Houdini – the escape artist! Now he’s 13 and can’t get out of bed in the morning! But I suppose it all works out…he’s turning into a really good kid. Maybe now I can get back to some of those incomplete projects around the house, take a nice long shower, and eat a well done steak for a change.

Happy Birthday Pack ‘n Play!

8 Responses to “Pack ‘n Play turns 20!”

1. Devra Renner January 8, 2008 at 3:11 pm #

We used Pack ‘n Plays for both of our kids. I especially liked using them when we were staying in hotels. Many hotels have old cribs that do not pass todays safety regulations (I know, that isn’t supposed to be the case, but trust me, we have seen som scary cribs at hotels!). So when we were able to bring our own safe place for our kids to sleep, the whole family slept better in that hotel room!

Happy Birthday Pack ‘n Play!

2. Jon DeHart January 9, 2008 at 3:18 pm #

Hi Devra!
    Thanks for your response.

No denying it, there are definitely some crusty old products out there. Good thing the Pack n’ Play is so easy to use at home or on a trip – travel with the family doesn’t have to be scary when you can simply take your own stuff. Leaves more time to actually enjoy parenting when you worry less. That’s what it’s all about, right?

Thanks again – and we really appreciate you being our 1st link too.

3. Devra January 9, 2008 at 9:40 pm #

Hey John,
    Yup, worrying less is kind of our mantra over at Parentopia too. And linky love is what makes the blogosphere go ’round.

Welcome to the blogosphere!

4. Candelaria April 7, 2014 at 5:38 am #

Everything in Mixel can be shared and remixed, making it the world.
    s person interface additionally helps a series of advanced touch screen gestures capabilities together with
    multi-contact pinch, lengthy faucet and zoom and
    vertical and horizontal swiping. If you are easily
    disturbed by psychedelic color patterns, rigid geometric shapes or an overdose of vivid colors like fluorescent pink or green,
    then having these on your computer desktop screen could irritate you and slow you down significantly.

Here is my webpage … lots of Latest images (Candelaria)

5. Nice answer back in return of this matter with genuine arguments and explaining the whole thing about
    that.

6. áo sơ mi nam hàn quốc July 22, 2014 at 12:50 am #

I do trust all of the concepts you have offered for your post.
    They’re very convincing and will certainly work.

Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for novices.
    May just you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time?
    Thank you for the post.

7. áo sơ mi nữ đẹp khuyến mãi July 22, 2014 at 11:06 pm #

Hello everyone, it’s my first pay a quick visit at this website,
    and piece of writing is in fact fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these content.

8. váy đầm nữ 2014 phong cách August 4, 2014 at 4:32 pm #

Can I simply just say what a comfort to discover someone who actually knows what they’re talking about online.
    You actually understand how to bring an issue
    to light and make it important. More and more people must look at this
    and understand this side of your story. I was surprised you aren’t more popular because you surely have the gift.