Baby #2 vs. Baby #1 (a totally different pregnancy!)

Let me just start by saying that I am the oldest child in my family. It is only now, now that I’m pregnant with Baby #2 (due in T-minus 2 months), that I’m starting to see the gripes of a second child. (don’t tell my sister I realized this though!)

And, yes, for me the differences start way before birth as you can see from my expereiences below. So, to my unborn child I’d like to say: “Little Hercules (my husband’s friend named her), I promise I’ll be better when you’re born — although don’t expect the same number of pictures as big brother Boog; it’s just not going to happen.

Baby #1 Baby #2
Names Read through 3 name books and created at least 5 lists by now “Why don’t we just use one of the names we chose from last time?”
Research Read or went on-line every day to make sure I was prepared and knew what was going on. “What the heck. I’ll just wing it.”
Baby Clothes Got it all and got it brand new. “Hand-me-downs. I love hand-me-downs!”
Room Completely set up and read to go by month 7 “Yikes! Guess we’d better order Boog some new furniture so we have a crib for Hercules”
Rest Napped and rested whenever needed – which was pretty much all evening. “zzzzz” (me. Falling asleep in a meeting since I went to bed at midnight and ended up with a 2 year old sleeping perpendicular in my bed)
Food Ate the exact number of recommended servings of each food group each day “Mmmmm. . .Left over mac & cheese!”
Overall I savored every moment & every little kick “Baby? Am I pregnant? Can’t think about that right now – must go stop Boog from jumping off the couch”

6 Responses to “Baby #2 vs. Baby #1 (a totally different pregnancy!)”

1. Shannon February 26, 2008 at 11:04 am #

Totally hear you on this one! Other than the big belly, I hardly realized I was pregnant myself as I went through the motions of work and taking care of a 2 year old. My first child’s baby room – finished by my 7th month. My second one? just under the deadline of the c – section!
    Sorry to say it doesn’t get much better after #2 arrives! The quiet feedings and relaxing while the baby sleeps doesn’t exist anymore! BUT if you are anything like me, you are much more relaxed with the second one so that takes care of some of the worry! While one is great – there is nothing like having two great kids! Enjoy the great times to come!

2. Christine February 26, 2008 at 2:24 pm #

I know exactly what you mean! When I was pregnant with my second, I sometimes worried that I wouldn’t be as good a parent to my second being a first child myself. It has always been important to me to not make the first child feel left out, that I will often ignore babies. But it didn’t take long after my second was born for all my fears to go away. Just wait till you have to protect her from harm (Boog’s fingers nearly poking her in the eyes…) Your fierce maternal instincts will have you protecting #2 at all costs!!
    Now that isn’t to say #2 will ever have equal number of pictures or entries in a baby book. Just don’t worry about those little details!

3. Kim February 26, 2008 at 9:09 pm #

Now I know how mom may have felt when having me :-) and yes I did get all the hand-me-downs…at least little Herc. will have clothes she probably hasn’t seen in the house before (sort of like new.) Josh and I were just discussing how strange it would be to not give all our attention to just Ella. I think I will wait a little bit before venturing into the 2 zone. Let me know how it goes. By the way I love being the second child! You are a great big sis!

4. Gretchen February 27, 2008 at 1:42 pm #

You always hear about the second child syndrome….and to me the phrase ”Marsha, Marsha, Marsha” comes to mind. So it sounds to me like the parent of a “second-child-to-be” just has a little more insight that everything is going to be ok. Even if you don’t read every name book, or have the nursery perfect, I think a parent has proved themselves that they can handle the late night feedings and just “winging it.” Now, as a third child in my family, I see why my older two brothers constantly whined “Why does she get to stay out late, why does she not have to go to bed before nine, why does she get to watch MTV…” and so on. Hmmm….now I think my parents realized (while pregnant with one and getting the other two to stop playing football in the house) that everything would turn out just fine. You are going to be a wonderful Mom of two!!!! And when all else fails – take them to Wegmans. :)

5. Amy February 29, 2008 at 10:46 am #

Ahhh. So all the rumors of the second child syndrome ARE true. At least my poor little Hercules won’t be alone. I’ll have to find some playdates with other “seconds” so they can console each other :-)

6. D. Perreira March 9, 2008 at 8:56 pm #

Don’t feel too badly about the loss of focus on the details of your second child. It’s perfectly natural!