Second Pregnancy Superstitions

Coming off what was an amazing first pregnancy and delivery (well, at least in my mind it was) with a baby that slept well right off the bat, barely cried and gave us plenty of happy smiles and coos, I felt incredibly lucky that Punkin’ Bear decided to take it easy on her dear old parents.  But now that I’m expecting my second little one, deep down I must admit that it in some way it leaves me wondering “Did I have anything to do with Punkin’ Bear’s happy disposition and easy-going nature?” Okay, let me rephrase.  I’d like to believe that I had something to do with her happy disposition and easy-going nature. And thus, out of that have been born some admittedly silly superstitions for my second pregnancy.

Well, maybe they’re not exactly superstitions, they’re more like idiosyncrasies. Regardless of what you call them, my rational mind tells me that they had little to do with my little girl being such a happy, loveable and smart child. Yet I still find myself inexplicably eating almonds every day because deep down I suspect that the fatty omegas fed into her mental development. Are they reason she can count to 10 in Spanish and read and she’s not even three (did I read that somewhere)? Or, if you step into my car, you’ll only hear “easy listening” music, which is not my first preference, but my intuition tells me that exposing my tummy to slow paced, soft music is the reason she was such a calm infant.  And do I really believe that making sure I watch at least one TV show a week that makes me laugh hysterically is the reason that Punkin’ Bear laughs and laughs at the silliest things? Rationally, no. But deep down, yes.

I know that we’re going to feel like the luckiest people in the world no matter what BrotherSister’s disposition is or how well she does or doesn’t sleep for us during her first months, but as most parents you do everything you can to make sure that the odds are stacked in her favor. If it means being a little silly or superstitious then that’s what I’ll do. After all, do baseball players really believe that wearing the same pair of socks without washing them all season helps their game? Rationally, probably not. But deep down, yes.

I know I’m not the only one! I’d love to hear what your superstitions and crazy idiosynchracies  are. (so maybe I don’t feel so silly)

84 Responses to “Second Pregnancy Superstitions”

1. Cousin Trish March 15, 2008 at 11:47 pm #

Best wishes for baby number 2 !!!!

2. Millie Kaliss March 16, 2008 at 1:22 pm #

Dear Kristin,
    All the things you are doing sound like good ideas, no matter what. However, However, siblings can be so different that their parents sometimes wonder if they came from different planets! One things, though, that is certain is that your new little one will be incredibly blessed to have you and Shawn for parents. Much love and all best wishes. Millie and Bud

3. Evelyn March 16, 2008 at 1:49 pm #

Baby 2 is a wonderful blessing…no superstitions are necessary!

4. Nicole March 16, 2008 at 1:58 pm #

Best of luck with #2!

5. Ken March 16, 2008 at 2:02 pm #

There is no doubt concerned parents raise better children.
    However, they each will have their own personality – and quirks.
    Accept that and love them all.

6. Suzy March 16, 2008 at 2:39 pm #

These comments are so humorous! I’ve never been a mom but I know and love alot of children–you’ve got me curious about what some of their moms may have done while pregnant!
    Best wishes to you and Shawn and Punkin’ Bear as the waiting continues!
    Peace and blessings–Suzy

7. Susan March 16, 2008 at 4:30 pm #

You are already mothering your little one! Enjoy this special time!

8. Judy March 16, 2008 at 6:17 pm #

I don’t have any superstitions to share, Krisitn, but I’d like to add to the “they are all different” train of thought. The deliveries are all different, too. I was in the hospital 45 minutes before the birth of my first…. 6 hours for the birth of my second! Best of luck to you. Enjoy them both.

9. margaret March 16, 2008 at 6:48 pm #

Best wishes to you–just tell your babies you love them all the time–that’s what they want to hear and they do hear it—-I still tell that to my 28 year old daughter-who is expecting her 2nd….Grannie

10. Katie March 16, 2008 at 7:23 pm #

Double the fun!!

11. Sara & Naomi's Mom March 16, 2008 at 8:10 pm #

Very funny – never thought about eating the same thing to encourage similar personality traits. Forget about eating the right things, just try to get your rest now! And start playing up punkin bear’s special status as the big bro/sis. Good luck!

12. Noreen March 16, 2008 at 8:15 pm #

Congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy!

13. Terry March 16, 2008 at 8:52 pm #

My experience – baby2 will come out a little more rambunctious. After all baby2 has competition for mom and dad’s attention from the beginning and will get right to work vying for it. Great challenge, great fun.

14. Theresa March 16, 2008 at 9:45 pm #

Hi Kristin,
    Birth is truly a miracle. Best wishes for #2.

15. kitty Ghen March 16, 2008 at 10:12 pm #

It is great to hear your ideas on your second child. I am the mother of 2 also. Mine are teenagers now, but I remember the days when they were babies. It will go by so fast, enjoy these early days, they are precious. Keep asking about their dreams. What a lovely bedtime routine that is.

16. Christine March 17, 2008 at 6:50 am #

We’re trying for number 2 now too and I have the same worries! At least I’m not alone. :o )

17. Rebecca March 17, 2008 at 7:27 am #

Kristen,

I think that your “silly superstitions” are not silly at all and I can’t wait to see if the second is as enjoyable as the first. Everyone has a piece of advice about being pregnant.. what to do .. what not to do.. and things they swear by. Although you can follow EVERY rule and suggestion…it sounds like you are good parents… which I also believe has so much importance in having a ” good” well adjusted baby! Good luck.

18. Jeanine March 17, 2008 at 8:35 am #

I just had #3 (about 7 months ago) and he is as sweet as his two older sisters. I hope I had something to do with their dispostions too but you never know. I must say though, I did the same exact thing with each of them to get into a routine and I think that helped. No matter what you will love the new one just as much and be sure to take joy in their smiles, laughter and love and it will all be wonderful.

19. Jill Davis-Ranford March 17, 2008 at 9:22 am #

Kristen,
    Eating Kiwi fruit will make your second baby have curly hair!

20. Frank March 17, 2008 at 1:17 pm #

Kristen,
    I’d listen to Jill; I’ve heard she might be neighbors with the stork. Just remember: Any advice from Pop-Pop Bell, try the opposite.
    Good luck to all of you.

21. Kathy Hunt March 17, 2008 at 5:32 pm #

This is the best time of your life. Enjoy every minute of the interesting personalities of each of your babies. Every day is an adventure with children.

22. Kathy Shields March 18, 2008 at 6:12 am #

With the 2nd baby you will now feel like an expert! You’ll have more confidence in your parenting skills and almost nothing will surprise you. Relax and enjoy the ride.

23. Lauren March 18, 2008 at 12:40 pm #

Thanks for bringing this issue up, Kristin! It’s relieving to know that other people have thoughts just like mine (and that somewhere, I might NOT be crazy)! I just had child #1 and I have secretly wondered what did “I” do to make her come out so perfectly. It sounds so egocentric, but I often wonder to what degree my husband and I have influenced our smiley baby, how much my low-stress pregnancy affected her, and how much is just HER.

Have fun with your next and be sure to tell us all about it!!!

24. tommy_pete March 18, 2008 at 2:14 pm #

OK – and this coming from a guy. SING a song (and often) instead of listening to them. The vibrations from your own vocal cords and the emotional intent will have a direct effect. My suggestion: a good country music song like “Mama, don’t your babies grow up to be democrats”. Ha Ha. Then again, perhaps something more upbeat…

25. Mark K. March 21, 2008 at 9:19 am #

Do what works for you! Embrace those rituals and superstitions now, and let them give you some hope that child number 2 will be from the same behavioral mold as number 1!!

That being said, having two wonderful children myself has made me realize that despite all your best efforts you should get some sleep now!!! (you know… just in case)

Congratulations and Best of Luck to you!

26. JoAnn March 25, 2008 at 4:03 pm #

Best of luck to all of you!

27. TJ March 29, 2008 at 2:11 pm #

Having two children is wonderful. You will get less sleep, but will have enough love to give to both your children. No matter how good or bad the day is they always put a smile on my face. Good luck!

28. Abram Akerson May 24, 2010 at 12:14 pm #

Don’t let this article die please. Learning spanish is so much fun and ecciting, not to mention it is the current language of love :) . Do not stop posting this kind of info I love them and will keep coming back to this site. Thanks

29. Anne Bosques December 2, 2010 at 9:46 pm #

This really is such a fantastic useful resource that you are offering and also you give it absent free of charge. I love seeing web sites that understand the value of offering a top quality useful resource for free. It?s the outdated what goes around comes about program.

30. Marina at My Busy Children December 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm #

A friend of mine believes that getting ready for a baby before she/he is born is a bad sign.
    That may be , but I dont want to bring a baby into a house where you cant even find a diaper, let alone a crib

31. appbrain app market 6.02 apk June 29, 2013 at 1:15 am #

I tend not to comment, but I read a great deal of remarks here Second Pregnancy Superstitions
    | Graco Heart to Heart Blog. I do have a couple of questions for you if it’s okay. Could it be simply me or does it appear like a few of these remarks come across like they are coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing on additional places, I’d like to follow you.
    Would you make a list of all of your social community pages like your
    twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

32. tablet pc input panel August 12, 2013 at 12:53 am #

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the
    book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is
    magnificent blog. A fantastic read. I will definitely be back.

33. Ismael April 15, 2014 at 6:51 pm #

Hi would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re utilizing?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different internet
    browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot quicker then most.
    Can you suggest a good hosting provider at a honest price?
    Thank you, I appreciate it!

1. Jenny & David's Blog - March 11, 2008

Superstitions and odd behaviors…

A friend over at Graco listed a few things she did to give her first child a leg up. I’ve listed some of the oddities that Jenny & I have employed and give a glimpse of the poor parents that we are likely to become……