I’d Like to Schedule My Baby, Please

OK.  So I had a really strange conversation this past week.  At 35 weeks pregnant, I finally broke down and decided to have a c-section for the birth of my little Hercules.

“Broke down?” you ask.  Well, I didn’t have a c-section for Boog but let’s just say that he was “too big” for me.  Ahh yes.  We’ll leave it at that since co-workers are reading this too :-)   Despite this, I never considered having a c-section until I started to learn some of the risks I could face if Hercules is also “too big”.

Ultrasound

Even armed with this information, it was still a tough decision since it made me feel like I was not up for the challenge (yes. I have a bit of a competitive streak).  Finally, after talking to every person I know who’s had a c-section, I accepted the fact that my long term health is a bit more important than feeling like I was “wussing out” (aka “being stupid”).

So. . . this led to me scheduling my baby.  Yes.  Very strange.  I got a call from my doctor’s office asking if I was free at noon on the 26th.  My automatic response was to pull up my calendar.  Fortunately, I only had a 9:00 meeting so I said “Sure.  I think I can do that.” Whoa!  Double take!  What?  Did I really just schedule my baby in Outlook?  The answer is “yes” – although I only blocked off an hour so hopefully it doesn’t take too long!

I’ll keep you all posted on the progress – my personal hope is that I can reschedule the birth (I’ve made sure to leave my calendar open just in case) since I’d really like to go later.  Yes.  Maybe I’m insane, but I still feel great and I still have a lot to get done before she comes.  Oh.  And did I mention that I’m still under the illusion that Hercules will simply fit into my schedule or that I’m in for a rude awakening?

8 Responses to “I’d Like to Schedule My Baby, Please”

1. Busy Mom March 18, 2008 at 2:15 pm #

Nothing wrong with scheduling, but just know I went into labor the night before my 3rd c-section…

2. Steve White March 26, 2008 at 9:05 am #

Amy – Good luck! We’re thinking of you here at PF. Don’t worry about the Red Sox being a .500 ball club so far this year, it’s no big deal! Stefan and Tyler better take good care of their girls.

3. Monica March 26, 2008 at 12:25 pm #

Amy,
    Scheduling is OK and so is a C-section (especially for your reasons!) I scheduled Brianna, but she was induction not c-section. I’m convinced she would have stayed in for another 2 weeks. Being a type A it made it easier for me to know when. Looking at the time right now I bet Baby Sleep is already here. Yipee! Remember the way baby Sleep comes into the world is not the destination – welcoming a healthy baby girl into the Sleep family is the beginning of a new journey :)

4. Gina March 26, 2008 at 1:20 pm #

Amy, Good luck today! Just think about how much you’ll be able to share with other first-timers afterward. Looking forward to your next blog!

5. Jane Tarring (Grammie) March 26, 2008 at 7:00 pm #

Hi Amy, This will probably be the last time she conforms to a schedule for a while, so enjoy! Now that little Allie is here we look forward to meeting her and seeing Tyler’s reception of his baby sister. Love, Mom

6. Meverly March 28, 2008 at 5:11 pm #

Congratulations Amy! “Hercules” really is a Hercules at almost 9 lbs and 22 inches HUH?! I know it will be tough with a new baby (and with your BlackBerry in hand) but I do hope you are able to get some rest while you’re out, and relax with Ellen and the Kardashians! :)

7. Amy March 30, 2008 at 1:59 am #

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone! In the end, I think scheduling a c-section was the right decision for me — not only for the convenience with Tyler, but also given Hercules’ size and the concern for the impact on my health. Who would’ve guessed she’d be so big!

And, Meverly, don’t worry. . .I’m getting plenty of rest — although not what I’ve been used to. Right now it’s 3:00am and I’m watching TLC, typing, and staring at my beautiful baby lying on my lap (how’s that for multitasking!) Hmmm. Maybe I’ll go to bed now!

8. Tommy's Mommy March 31, 2008 at 6:55 pm #

Good for you! I’m glad you did what was best for you and the baby. As a mom (aka Superwoman!), we beat ourselves up over every stinkin’ decision. Why do we put so much pressure on ourselves? There you go… I just handed you a topic for your next blog post. Check that off your “to do” list!