Best Friends at 2 Years Old?!

BffsWinnie the Pooh said it best; “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I don’t have to live without you.”

It’s hard to believe a 2 year old can teach a life lesson…but it happens when you least expect it. Our daughter, Bear, is teaching us about the importance, beauty and happiness in life that comes from having a BEST FRIEND. Everyone needs one, even a 2 year old. It’s been quite amazing and a bit of a miracle to watch these two little girls connect – even before they could communicate. Bear’s best friend is “Dee”. They met when they were 6 months old at Little Gym. And it’s been a blossoming friendship ever since.
You ask Bear who her best friend is…and quickly “Dee” becomes the topic of conversation – Bear lights up when she knows she is going to see Dee or when she is telling me about their afternoon in the park. I love to see how friendship can transform the spirit of a child.

The best part – they expect nothing from each other, rather they delight in any and every moment they get together. Whether it is playing in their new kitchen from Santa, sharing cupcakes at their birthday parties, splashing in the pool or most recently signing up for their FIRST Dance Class.

bffs2

Dee and Bear are the only children in their families and that may be driving this special friendship, when you have siblings you have built-in best friends. I’m fortunate to have 2 older brothers and a sister who are some of my best friends. But I still envy the beauty of the special friendship between these 2 year olds.

And the beauty of this friendship is the simplicity! So the lesson my husband and I are amazed by is that as adults we overcomplicate our friendships with expectations and in return can destroy the authenticity of what friendship is all about in the first place.

Seeing the world through the eyes of a child – it’s truly remarkable.
We would love to hear the story of your child’s best friend and lessons you’ve learned.

6 Responses to “Best Friends at 2 Years Old?!”

1. Erin McHugh March 24, 2008 at 3:12 pm #

I don’t have children, but I am still best friends with my childhood best friend, Danielle. We officially refer to each other as “Best Friend” (it’s silly I know). We are so in sync with everything we do. We are getting married together, buying our first homes around the same time and hopefully having our kids together. It’s funny to think- we went to our first day of elementary school together, maybe that’ll be our kids someday!! It’s truly amazing to have someone who knows you better than anyone to share these experiences with. I feel blessed that Danielle and I are still BFF. We always joke that we could never get rid of each other, but neither of us would ever try :-)

2. Aleda Madison March 25, 2008 at 2:56 pm #

Bear is indeed special and today she did lunch with yet another buddy, Charlie. Charlie and I (Nam) attend the weekly art class with Bear and several other precious 18 month to 2 year olds. Today Ali and Steve (Bear’s Nanny and Daddy) decided on lunch at Paneras and while seated at the table Bear and Charlie held hands and talked baby talk to each other. They truly created Kodak moments as they just plain enjoyed each other’s company. Yes, children are special and I am really enjoying my experiences through my Grandson as he experiences all life has to offer.

3. Ali March 25, 2008 at 7:14 pm #

I have to agree with Aleda. It was pretty special watching Bear and Charlie at lunch today. I have to say my favorite moment was when the two of them decided to belt out “old mcdonald had a farm” during the middle of our lunch. Bear is pretty good at singing then letting someone else “pick the animal”, today however she insisted that the animal had to be a snake!

I love all of Bear’s best friends…as well as their Mommy’s, Grandmas, Nanas, Nams, Daddy’s and etc. that come with them!

4. Kristen Lebresco March 26, 2008 at 12:27 pm #

Kim-
    I can really relate to your story about bestfriends at age 2. My daughter “Dee” and her best friend “Bean” really have a special relationship. The girls met at My Gym when they were a little over a year old and have really developed a beautiful and pure friendship. “Beans” mother and I (also one of my bestfriends now) often say that their relationship is not forced and that they genuinely love spending time together. I love the smile that comes across “Dee’s” face when I tell her that we are going to see “Bean”.
    As a mother, it has been great watching my daughter shine through her first true friendship.

It is really lovely to experience two little girls growing and learning about their world together without having to worry about who is friends with who or what brand name clothing they each of them wear. We can all learn a lot from these types of friendships…I know that I have.

5. annuaire webmaster September 8, 2010 at 3:26 pm #

This write up is nice. I’ll post in my blog and translate it in French.

6. Dion Brandner October 13, 2010 at 7:25 am #

I just wondered, if anybody can recommend a dependable software that will Auto Tweet, do a little bit of following and a bit of unfollowing. Many thanks