Ultrasound Uncertainty

UltrasoundThere is something that has amazed me about each ultrasound I’ve had (two with Punkin’ Bear and two so far with BrotherSister). It’s not that you doubt that you’re pregnant, because you have the pitter patter of little feet and bops of little hands inside your tummy to remind you of that. It’s just an overwhelming mix of joy, excitement and to some extent relief to see those 10 little fingers and 10 little toes. It’s a fun experience as you try to determine “Who’s chin does he have” or “Oh, that’s definitely your nose” (this level of detail has been made possible with the 4D ultrasounds).It’s a glimpse into who this little person is that you’ve been nurturing and feeling for months. 

And for many, that in and of itself is all they need to know and to keep them going until they meet their baby face to face.  But, for others, there’s one additional, practical side to an ultrasound…it’s something everyone asks you when you’re pregnant: “Are you going to find out what you’re having?” Well, I’m one of those who couldn’t resist. I tried to when presented with the prospect before going into my very first ultrasound, but all of the practical, rational reasons kept piling up. Weellll…it would be nice to know what color to paint the nursery. And it couldn’t hurt to start buying some of those adorable outfits in pink or blue. And for a couple of people as indecisive as my husband and me who can’t even narrow down what we want for dinner within a reasonable timeframe, you can only imagine what we faced with selecting a name. So why not at least narrow it down between boys names and girls names? It actually wasn’t a decision that we came to easily, but once we did it seemed to work out well. During Punkin’ Bear’s ultrasound, the doctor gave us clear, concise “visual aides” that we were having a little girl. And so the planning began. 

Flash forward to BrotherSister’s ultrasound. This time the decision to find out came with much less hesitation. It seemed to work out well the first time and all. And as with Punkin’ Bear, it was absolutely amazing and awe-striking to see that beautiful little baby moving around. And after we were done counting fingers and toes and determining who’s nose the baby has, and the time came for the doctor to show us whether PB was in fact going to have a brother or a sister, our sweet little baby decided to cross her legs and make it pretty tricky to come to a conclusion. So for the rest of the procedure, we saw little hands moving, feet kicking and a head bopping, but low and behold no way were those little legs going to budge. Then, at the very end in a last ditch effort, the doctor tried to view things from a different angle which resulted in the opinion that she was 80% sure we’re having a girl.  

While 80% are admittedly good odds, there is still a 20% chance that she is a he. These are the same odds that we were given with Punkin’ Bear, but for some reason I’m just not so sure that BrotherSister is a sister. It could be an intuition of sorts, or perhaps it’s because my two pregnancies have been pretty different (though I hear from quite a few other second time parents that it doesn’t really mean anything). Or it could even be because Punkin’ Bear has recently taken to calling BrotherSister just Brother despite us telling her numerous times that she’s having a sister. And of course, there’s the “hearbeat myth”. I’ve always heard that boys heartbeats are in the 140s, which is what BrotherSister’s heartbeat has been over my past few visits, and girls heartbeats are typically in the 150-160 range.  

Despite not knowing whether we need to narrow our names down between boy or girls names, or whether we need to go buy some little boy outfits and steer clear from painting the nursery in purple and pink, I have to admit it is kind of fun not knowing. It’s added a level of excitement to an already highly anticipated event – meeting our new little baby in just a 2 ½ more months! I would love to know, though, if you’ve had any similar intuitions or incidents with your ultrasound “prediction” turning out the opposite when your baby did arrive- drop me a comment!

Graco Contributors

Graco contributors...


Get the latest updates on news and subscribe to our feeds
By submitting, I agree to receive emails from Graco Children's Products Inc. regarding news, updates, offers and promotions regarding Graco's products. I understand I may withdraw my consent at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy or contact us for more details.

5 Responses to “Ultrasound Uncertainty”

  1. D.E.B. March 25, 2008 at 7:18 pm #

    Never underestimate the power of a mothers intuition! My first major parenting lesson came when I thought I had my maternity leave planned to the second and then my child arrived 2 weeks early! I knew I wasn’t in control anymore :)

  2. Tommy March 25, 2008 at 7:32 pm #

    What’s the fourth D in 4D?

  3. Vicky March 26, 2008 at 3:44 pm #

    I had a friend who was having a girl- rose colored Wendy Bellissimo baby room and all. Then lo and behold- Jack arrived. They kept the photo of grandma holding the, “it’s a girl!” balloon in the baby book.

    They had two sonograms.

  4. Frances March 27, 2008 at 6:12 pm #

    I couldn’t agree with you more! Go with the 80% girl theme and paint 20% of the nursery blue or boy color and you have it made!

  5. Nicole March 30, 2008 at 7:51 pm #

    I was told by my doctor and then my labor nurse that the heartbeat thing ISN’T a myth. My son’s hearbeat was in the 140 range all of my pregnancy.
    BTW- I didn’t find out with my son, but everyone thought I was having a girl b/c I’m so girlie… except me- I just had a feeling the whole time I was having a boy… and I did.
    I know I’m biased being a ‘boy mom’ but it is incredible how sweet boys are with their mommies.
    Of course – girls are great too- as you know :)
    Good luck!
    one more thing- We had the nursery painted a Winnie the Pooh landscape with a honey tree and everything and then realized that the whole room was light blue (the sky). I still remember my husband saying to me- I hope you’re right about this feeling of a boy or we’re going to have to go out and buy the pinkest curtains around to make this room a little more feminine!