A Blankie Addiction

Blankie2My son has one. He’s got it bad. But guess who’s not ready for rehab? Me. Jagger’s blankie is the love of his life right now – no, not after Mommy and Daddy – I mean the love of his life- A #1, numero uno, TLA. And who can blame him? Who wouldn’t fall in love with these qualities??:
- It will never let you down
- It won’t judge you
- It will never ignore you
- It won’t bite (even when bitten! That’s more than Jagger’s sister can say)
- It won’t tell you to “hold on” “please wait” “not now” “maybe later” – it’s ready whenever you are
- It won’t lie to you (white lies people – I’m just talking Santa and the Easter Bunny)
- It will always be there for you
- You can count on it to do whatever you want- always.

At this point, Jagger has 3 identical blankies but he only knows about 2 of them.  I interchanged those 2 for almost 3 years without him even knowing there was more than one. I wanted to be sure I always had a back up in case one got lost plus, this way I could wash one when the other one was being used. (brilliant, right??) They both got so nasty that my MIL and I found another one on Ebay to have a “cleaner” alternative. He was thrilled when he opened that present on Christmas but of course now he likes the clean one the best- giving us one option instead of the intended 3! Luckily (I think) the 3rd one is getting nice and nasty just like the others.

Blankie1

My daughter B has a blankie problem too (apparently my husband and I are dealers) but it isn’t as bad. She carries it with her everywhere around the house (they are generally not allowed out of the house and mostly kept in the bedrooms) but B’s habit isn’t quite as problematic as Jagger’s. B simply holds it and rubs it on her face as she settles down for bed. Jagger, on the other hand, bites it- all night long. It is disgusting. I was happy when I heard someone else was dealing with this same issue but her son is only 2-she’s has time to change that (if she wants).

He’s totally getting an overbite because of it, he’s becoming more and more reliant on it and asking to keep it with him more often, and did I mention it was gross? And with all that, I still don’t want to “break him of his blankie habit.” I read Kim’s post about Bear getting rid of her binkies at two years old and for a split second I felt guilty about my slobbering, 3-year old with a mean overbite – but then I stopped. I realize that I love his blankie as much as he does. I love that it is, and will always be, the most reliable companion he can ever have. That blankie will never let him down or ignore him or yell at him and frankly, I know I will eventually do all of those things. I know a son’s true love can’t always be his mommy (and I was replaced at quite an early age) but maybe I’d rather be replaced by a blankie than another woman  :)   I hope his future wife won’t be jealous of Jagger drooling over “someone” else because if it were up to me, he may still have his blankie then.

11 Responses to “A Blankie Addiction”

1. caitlin April 8, 2008 at 1:04 pm #

Lindsay,

So funny that you posted this today because my husband said to me this morning, “Alright, tomorrow’s the day. The blankie has got to go.” And my reaction is that I am not sure that my son is ready . . . and I know that I am not ready. But when is there going to be a logical time to take it away? Will he just give it up on his own, or do we need to decide for him when it is time for the blankie to go? I am getting a little stressed out about it! And I am worried about his teeth!

Your kids are adorable, by the way.

2. Lindsay Lebresco April 8, 2008 at 1:29 pm #

OMG! Tomorrow is the day??! You’re exactly right – there is no good time to do it and the longer you wait, the worse shape you are going to be in. Good luck- to both you and your son! Please tell me how it goes.

3. Jared April 8, 2008 at 2:44 pm #

I was a blankie baby. :D I didn’t really carry it everywhere I went, but I had to have it to go to sleep. It’s funny…I can still remember how it smells…20 years later. :D

I eventually grew out of it (I’m guessing 7-8 years old???). Probably out of fear of getting made fun of by my friends or girls. I can’t really remember. :D

4. Laptop Television Mom April 8, 2008 at 4:20 pm #

Love this post! My daughter, who is 3.5 years, is a blanket girl. Except she calls it a “Beelah.” It’s a comfy, cozy pink chenille blanket, er I mean Beelah, that goes everywhere with us. It’s getting a little tattered and torn on the edges, but to me that is a sign of love. Now, we have progressed to the point where Beelah goes with us… but stays in the car. And Beelah can stay in the car becuase Lulu (the Lamb) is still part of the family 24×7!

– LTV Mom (Stacy from Voce)

P.S. Great to see you at BlogHer!

5. Lawyer Mama April 9, 2008 at 7:42 am #

I was a blankie baby too! I actually wrote a post about my blankie last year. LOL!

My 2 year old is a blankie boy too. Unfortunately, he became attached to the one blanket that wasn’t made anymore! I FINALLY found a duplicate on Ebay but if those two get nasty, we’re screwed.

6. Lawyer Mama April 9, 2008 at 7:44 am #

Ooh, here’s my blankie post:

7. Dawn April 9, 2008 at 10:22 am #

Your children are so adorable!

8. Christina April 9, 2008 at 1:25 pm #

My older daughter had a blanket bunny that was her best friend. It was a bunny head and arms, with a blanket for the body. We owned 5 of them so we always had one if needed. One stayed at the grandparents as a backup, one hid in the glove box in the car, etc. She stopped carrying Bunny around when she turned 3, but she still wants Bunny in bed with her at night.

My younger daughter is already getting started with the same, only hers is a zebra that she clutches at night and plays with in her crib. I have a feeling the zebra blanket buddy will be her best friend, too.

9. Jessica (aka Rose) April 9, 2008 at 11:23 pm #

My daughter has a stuffed doggy problem and I’m pushing a blankie problem on my baby… I myself had a stuffed bunny problem. My problem was SO bad that I kept my bunny until my first baby was old enough to want to play with it. Yes. I’ll admit it: I didn’t put my lovey away until I was 29!
    In a scary scary world a lovey can go a long way towards making our kids feel safer or at least braver. Why would we want to take that away from them?
    We limit the use of loveys and pacifiers to bed, car, and stroller, which helps with overbites and wear and tear, but I never plan on taking them away.
    Long live the loveys!

10. caitlin May 5, 2008 at 1:33 pm #

Lindsay . . . I am back (SEVERAL weeks later) to say that Brendan’s love affair with his blanket rages on because we haven’t gotten the energy up to do battle with him over taking it away. I have a new excuse each week (“But this week is his birthday week, I am worried he mightbe coming down with something.”) Who am I kidding . . . that thing isn’t going anywhere!

11. Jenny October 15, 2009 at 9:00 am #

I’m 20 yrs old and I still have one. It has helped me cope with stress of college and anxieties of life that I have. Think of it this way by letting them keep it you won’t have to spend money on counseling later in life.