I absolutely love “interviewing” my son. No- I’m not getting him ready for corporate America already, I just love hearing what he thinks about stuff. All kinds of stuff. My husband rolls his eyes at me but I could do this for hours with Jagger. It’s one of the sweetest things about kids this age (3) because they have started articulating their thoughts pretty clearly, they have LOTS of thoughts (and they never stop talking about them) and they ask a million questions.
This harkens back to the days when Bill Cosby hosted “Kids say the Darndest Things.” His little interviews produced some of the funniest, cutest, responses ever. We recently saw this video floating around You Tube and loved it so much we wanted to share it:
I thought I might give you some “interview” topics that I’ve enjoyed using lately with Jagger:
- How was your day? (start off easy)
- Tell me about Mommy’s/Daddy’s Job.
- What does it mean to be a “good person”?
- Why do you like your ____ (insert favorite object) so much?
- What is the movie “Cars” about?
- What is your favorite animal and why?
- How long have you had a Mommy and Daddy?
- Who is your best friend and why?
- Where does milk come from and how do we get it?
- Now that you’re ____ (insert age here) what are you going to do?
A quick tip with this – use “wait time.” (it’s an old tool I learned back in my college education classes) If they don’t answer immediately, just wait. They will fill in the awkward silence and pauses with more and more thoughts. It allows for a stream of conscienceness of sorts (this works great for getting to the “truth” too!)
Now get your journals and/or video cameras out and record this- it’s great to watch as your kids grow! If you have some “interview” questions of your own, share them with us!