Can I Freeze Time, Please?

OK.  I admit it.  I’m not a newborn baby person.  There.  I said it.  Hopefully this doesn’t put me in the “Bad Mom” category.  I love my new little Hercules and I loved Boog when he was born too.  However, I didn’t fall head over heels crazy in love with my Boog until he started really playing, talking and interacting.

Little babies are good to cuddle and snuggle, but at the same time they’re little blobs that cry a bit too much for no apparent reason (did I mention that I feel like a bad Mom for admitting this?)

My two year old isn’t always sweet and he doesn’t want to cuddle as much as I’d like, but he’s filled with pure joy and pure emotion.  He sees and explores the world and lets me see it all for the first time again.

My heart aches when he’s sad and at the thought that he might not be as joyful at daycare as he is at home.  My heart leaps when I see him laugh and run and roll around.  And my heart nearly explodes when he hugs me, holds my hand, or cuddles up with his Dad.

I only wish I could be sure that I will always remember all the little things he does.  I’m trying to get them on video, but it’s never quite the same once the camera is rolling and it’s almost impossible to get the spontaneity of some of my favorite moments on tape.

I’m doing my best to soak up every “Thank you, Mommy” (pronounced “Tank you, Mommy”), all the proud “I did it!”s), each and every “I cuddly” (what he says after a bath when he’s all wrapped up in a towel).  And I’m trying to burn into memory all of our hallway races (“I running!”), silly dances, and driveway sporting events.  My laundry pile is definitely suffering as a result, but until I learn to freeze time, I’m willing to make that sacrifice.

I love the stage my Boog is in right now and while, of course, I want him to grow up, I kind of dread it too.  Not only will I have numerous more worries (Will he make friends?, Does he like school?, Is he safe?), but I’ll also no longer be the center of his life.

I guess you could also call me greedy, but I just love my little guy to pieces and before I know it he won’t be my “little” guy anymore.

8 Responses to “Can I Freeze Time, Please?”

1. Lindsay Lebresco May 22, 2008 at 12:00 pm #

Ok well I never usually write comments here on our own blog but I was totally compelled to by this post. You had me at “I am not a newborn baby person” – me neither. In fact, not so sure I’m even an infant person either. But when they get to talking and walking, pointing and laughing- I could just eat them up!! I love talking with my son so much. He makes me think, laugh, [get mad], pause and then yes- want to freeze time.

I remember someone forwarded me one of those mom e-mails and this one just had me in tears. It was from a mom who was a recent grandmother and looking back at the memories she made with her own children. She said she just wanted to remember certain moments- like sitting on a blanket in the backyard on a warm summer evening and what her kids voices sounded like then, how their hair smelled after their bath and how it curled around her finger just so. It struck me how precious these memories are.

However – time moves on and often what you find around the bend is better than what you left behind.

2. Amy May 22, 2008 at 3:24 pm #

I am with you on this one. I also would admit that I didn’t feel an immediate “this is it” when I held my child for the first time. I thought he was cute, but it wasn’t that movie moment that I thought I was going to experience.

Great post!

3. Stephanie May 22, 2008 at 4:31 pm #

I actually agree in many ways. The newborn stage is full of wonder in its own way, but the toddler stage is more fun! I love all of the activity – blowing bubbles, going on walks, the way my daughter says “bounce!” after bath-time every night to get daddy to bounce her on the bed, all of the little moments. I wish I could capture them all – freeze them in time – so that I could come back later to reminisce…

4. Jen May 22, 2008 at 8:19 pm #

Oh my gosh. I love the pic!!! I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same way… I think we were talking about this just the other day.

We only have one kid and I can’t seem to catch all the moments I want to on video either. It’s partially me not grabbing the camera when I should and partially because everytime T has any camera pointed at him he gets the biggest grin and says, “CHEESE!”, stopping all cute activity. I just try to keep a little notebook handy and jot down all the little stuff I want to remember. Nothing special, just a little notebook. I already look back on some entries I made a few months ago and laugh at all the things I’ve forgotten already.

5. Chris Byrd May 23, 2008 at 9:40 am #

Great post!

The old cliche is true, “they grow up way too fast”.

When they are newborn, you can’t wait until they can walk and talk and interact more. Once that happens and they become more independent, you miss having them to hold and cuddle.

I guess that’s why so many of us choose to repeat the love and have another child. =)

6. Jamie May 30, 2008 at 11:31 pm #

I have to say that I just LOVE that photo!

My youngest daughter turned 3 in March. There are so many funny mannerisms and expressions she still has that I want to remember. I realize in watching video of her big sister that I’ve already forgotten some of the toddler time with her. SNIFF! :(

Enjoy this time. It really does fly by.

7. Jamie May 30, 2008 at 11:31 pm #

p.s. I’m not a big fan of newborn babies, either! ;)

8. Amy June 1, 2008 at 9:13 pm #

THANKS, everyone for making me not feel like a “bad mom”. It’s good to know that I’m normal (kind of, at least!).

–Amy