Many of you know that I have an insaniac 2 year old boy who’s constantly on the go and who I think would not sleep if we didn’t make him go to bed (seriously, my hubby and I have considered just letting him go to see what time he would actually fall asleep).
Anyway, one thing my outdoorsy, active 2 year old has recently done is remind me of all the fun summer things I did as a kid. It’s sad to admit, but I had forgotten about so many of these.
In a way I’m now able to relive my own childhood memories while making more for me and him (OK. So he’s only 2 and won’t remember any of this when he’s older, but I like to think he will anyway). It’s so fun to remember being a kid at summer and spending hour upon hour doing nothing and loving every minute of it. Every day was filled with imagination and fun. Ahhhhh. It’s just too bad I wasn’t able fully appreciate it all when it was happening, but at least I can appreciate it all now.
With all of this, I now give you my list of “How to Tell It’s Summer” based on all my old (and new) memories. Hopefully these bring back some fun memories for you too.
- Eating Popsicles on the front steps
- Laying on the grass and figuring out what all the clouds look like
- Running through the sprinkler
- Water guns
- Dirty feet (seriously black-bottom feet)
- Sand found everywhere. Yes-everywhere.
- Sitting in the driveway watching ants walk away with bits of the apple we left for them
- Playing wiffleball and hide & seek and tag and red rover and. . .
- Rolling down grassy hills or spinning in circles to see who can stay standing the longest (I was pretty darn good in my day!)
- Staying up way past bedtime since it was still light out
- Lightening bugs
- The warm smell of asphalt when it rains (I love that smell) — and jumping in the puddles, of course!
- Riding my bike all over the place
- The ice cream man! (mine was called Jolly Joe)
And since I’m sure I forgot a few, make sure to send me some of yours!