Great Children’s Bedtime Books

storytime1There is nothing like a good book!
Bear, Love Bug and I have a nighttime ritual that I absolutely love and look forward too…“snuggle in and read”. I’m sure many of us share this same routine before bedtime.

It’s amazing as a mom, my strong desire for a GREAT children’s book. How many of us encourage our children to grab their favorite book and as they return to bed with THREE books, we dread their selection and we gravitate toward the books we love? Ok, I will admit it…I do. (If I have to read Elmo Goes Potty one more time…) Over our 3 short years of reading nighttime stories together, I’ve discovered some awesome books out there. I wanted to share our favorites and why ~ and I would love to hear about your recommended reads.

As the proud mom of 2 little girls, there is something about a great little girl book.
Spider Sisters is an all time favorite that teaches the important lesson of ‘sisters are forever, friends will come & go’. It’s an awesome and inspiring book for sisters (of all ages).

Pinkalicious, adorable and fun. A quick, entertaining read that ALL little girls will love, including mom.

If you want to teach little girls about day-dreaming I would encourage you to read Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs? (the illustrations are so cute)
And if you want to take that day-dreaming to something a little more adventuresome read We’re Going on a Bear Hunt or Daddy Mountain.

I’m a true entrepreneur at heart and passionate about marketing. Sure, I have a desire that our 2 little girls will share this same passion for business…so Lemonade for Sale is a must for marketing moms like me. (Thanks Lindsay for a great gift) I would describe Lemonade for Sale as the children’s version of  The Wealthy Barber. Both apply basic principles to saving money.
storytime2

I personally try to live the mantra that “all things are possible.” As a mom, I want to find new ways to instill this same optimism for life’s opportunities and a thrill for trying new things. Well…some great books that foster that type of thinking and dreaming:
Oh The Places You’ll Go and On Beyond Zebra (Dr Seuss, you are on to something)

There is no way you can put into words the love you have for your child. And I’m confident they won’t fully understand the love a parent has until they become a parent themselves. Two of our favorite books are:
You’re My Little Love Bug and On the Night You were Born

If you’re a mom who grew up in the 80’s & 90’s don’t forget the classics;
Little Rabbit’s Loose Tooth and Caps for Sale. And a new book that takes you back in time is; Fruits Scratch & Sniff

And just because I like to dance and sing…there is something about The Barnyard Dance or Pajama Time.

Please share your favorite bedtime stories with us – we’re are always up for trying a new book!

6 Responses to “Great Children’s Bedtime Books”

1. Deanna March 16, 2009 at 3:12 pm #

Caps for Sale is one of my all time favorites – a great gift for a little guy. Buy him that book, and 2 or 3 flat caps in different colors and what fun he will have!

2. Karen Hartzell, Graco March 16, 2009 at 4:01 pm #

Thank you so much! There is a book fair this week at Baby’s preschool. I will be printing this post and taking it with me to shop. Our favorite at bedtime is Dinosaur’s Binkit by Sandra Boynton. It’s perfect for anyone’s child that has a blanket as a lovey.

I like to keep a secret stash of new books on hand. That way I always have one on hand to give to Baby as a surprise reward for super special good behavior or success.

3. Kristen March 16, 2009 at 7:13 pm #

What a fun post to reflect on all the wonderful bedtime stories out there. I have so many favorites having been an elementary school teacher, but now that I have a toddler (and one on the way), I can’t even narrow down my top picks!
    Ok. If I have to…
    - One of our absolute favorites for mellowing out at night is I Love You Through and Through by Bernadette Rossetti Shustak. I’m completely convinced this story is what taught my son where his ears and nose are! I also find that reading this book after we’ve had a day where he might have been a little extra whiney or stubborn really makes ME realize how much none of that matters and I do just love him through and through!!
    - Another one of my son’s favorites is The Monster Who Loved Books. I think he really likes the pop-up part of the book and how that makes a good story that much more interactive.
    - I also love The Little Squeegy Bug. The title is so catchy and the story simply sweet for preschoolers and helping teach children about finding their identity. Besides who couldn’t love ‘a squeegy’ bug. :)
    - And last but certainly not least – Corduroy! Simply a classic.

Thanks for sharing your favorites.

4. William March 20, 2009 at 3:14 pm #

Where the Wild Things Are…that is a great bedtime book.

5. Sarah March 21, 2009 at 2:58 pm #

We have a new favorite given to us by some good friends – Edwina the Emu. After reading this for weeks, I found the book Edward the Emu…how Edward and Edwina met. :) I can only find it online – definitely worth it. Fun for the kids, fun for parents to read. Knuffle Bunny and Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus from Mo Willems are also great.

6. Kristen October 16, 2011 at 3:04 pm #

There is a new childrens book I wrote called “Bedtime is Fun”. It is a great way to start a bedtime ritual. It can be found on amazon and barnes and noble. An app is also now available to download on your ipad or iphone. There is also some great features….you can color the pages, there is also a page to do a puzzle and you can record your own voice to read the story to your child, in case you are not around. This is a great book….I hope you enjoy it!! :o ) A great gift for any child, grandchild, or friend too!!