Nurturing a Young Green Thumb

garden2Spring has sprung, and lately it even feels like we are fast approaching Summer. In the past few weeks of Spring, Baby has been learning all about flowers in preschool. Her class has drawn pictures with labeled plant parts and planted seeds to watch grow. To add to her excitement, she received her very own gardening bag, gloves, spray bottle and kid sized tools in her Easter basket this year instead of the Peeps I love candy. I even found the cutest flower shaped magnifying glass for exploring. Baby asks constantly to plant flowers at home, and on a recent weekend, the schedule was finally clear enough to make a day out if it.

Early Saturday morning, we all took a drive out to Ott’s Nursery. For anyone close to our area, the nursery is definitely worth a visit if you have small children. They have a small mountain in their parking lot usually covered with flowers with stairs to climb, a huge indoor green house with several different rooms to explore, and even an indoor waterfall with goldfish in the connecting pond. With magnifying glass in hand, Baby and I explored the entire property looking closely at flowers and leaves of every type of plant imaginable.

garden1With our exploration complete, I pointed Baby in the direction of the types of flowers she could choose. We have a big flower box in the front yard that gets full sun and was a perfect spot for some Verbena (according to the little plastic description thing in the pot). After laboring what seemed like hours a few minutes over the available colors, Baby finally made her decision. We bought our flowers and left for home to get to work.

Baby knew all the things we needed to plant our flowers and make them grow. We found worms that help the soil as we dug holes. We added stones to help irrigate the roots. We even added plant food to make them grow strong. I am not sure who to thank more for all the knowledge…her preschool teacher or the Max and Ruby episode on wormcake.

I’ll be honest with you. I have never been one for spending large amounts of time doing outdoorsy stuff. Just ask DH. I tend to run the other way when it comes to working in the yard. This was different. My daughter was sharing all the things she had learned in school, and I was enjoying every minute of it. In fact, it was so much fun, that we are planting more flowers this weekend, but the planner inside me may have to do a little more research on gardening this week. I’m hoping our bouts of flower planting will eventually turn into a love of gardening for us both, and something we can continue to share as Baby gets older. I am even secretly hoping that next year we can expand our horizons and add a small vegetable garden. But shhhhh…pleeeeeeze don’t tell DH. If he finds out, then he will expect me to help with the lawn.

8 Responses to “Nurturing a Young Green Thumb”

1. CanCan (Mom Most Traveled) May 22, 2009 at 4:19 am #

I so need to do this with my 4 1/2 year old; he is obsessed with gardening for some reason!

2. Sylvia May 26, 2009 at 7:17 pm #

Karen,
    I’m proud of you both. You’re welcome to bring your new gardner over anytime. I could use the help. What she’ll really need to love is picking weeds. That’s the difficult part.

3. Edna June 1, 2009 at 12:24 pm #

Kudos to both of you for finding a fun outside activity to do. My daughter and I have found an outside activity too, but it requires a pool,a good book, a float, sunglasses and sunscreen ! I love the type of gardening that you dont have to get too dirty and maintain too much…..ummm they make beautiful “fake” flowers and vines….I have window boxes to prove it, just ask my neighbors…they comment on how beautiful my flowers are growing…yes I have been known to switch out the smaller one for one just a tad bigger under the cover of darkness ! I also leave the watering can and the container of Miracle Grow on the porch, I never said they were real, see what happens when people assume ! Enjoy your garden with Baby ! Oh yeah and the lawn thing, that is just NEVER going to happen ! !

4. Karen Hartzell, Graco June 2, 2009 at 12:42 pm #

As our traveling to Atlanta gets closer, I am getting more excited to get planting again. Baby and I are discussing planting cherry tomatoes…her favorite veggie lately. Auntie Kimmy even offered to bring some cucumber and watermelon seeds when she meets us in GA. Get your shovels ready!

5. garden tool suppliers December 18, 2009 at 6:21 pm #

Thank you for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbour were just preparing to do some research about this. I am very thankful to see such great info being shared freely out there.

6. bass guitar dvd May 1, 2010 at 12:01 pm #

My partner and I agree together with your results and can anxiously look in advance to your future revisions. Merely expressing numerous thanks may never merely be sufficient, for your exceptional lucidity your own writing. may straightaway grab the give food to remain up-to-date of all updates. Great work and much achievement with business endeavors! Toodles!

7. aerobics fitness February 25, 2011 at 1:01 am #

I simply wished to thank you so much all over again. I am not sure the things that I could possibly have sorted out without those hints documented by you regarding that area. It truly was a very intimidating situation for me, however , witnessing a specialized style you solved that took me to cry for delight. I am grateful for this support and then hope that you realize what a great job you happen to be undertaking training others thru your blog. Most likely you’ve never come across all of us.

8. windows 7 keys July 20, 2011 at 8:16 pm #

I think this is one of the most important info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But wanna remark on few general things, The website style is ideal, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers