Grandmother Names-What should mine be?

whatsmynameIt didn’t occur to me that I would have to pick a new name for myself, but one of the first questions everyone asks me when they learn of my impending granddaughter’s birth is “Do you know what you want to be called?”

My first reaction is to let her name me. Shouldn’t that be one of the benefits of being a first-born? That’s what I got to do – I named my Grandmother “Mamie” because I was first-born and that was my early attempt at saying “Grandmom”, so it stuck. Do I really have to pick my own name and then tell everyone that’s what I want to be called? It feels strange to me. Is this how it is usually done?

If I go with the first approach, I won’t have a name until she begins to talk. When R&B let me hold her, I don’t want them to say “Here, BGT – go to that lady who shall remain nameless until you come up with something cute and original”. I think I would like to be called something unique like my Mamie was (but not off the wall). I can’t be called “Mamie” – she was one of a kind. My other grandmother was called “Nana”, which has a nice ring to it. My mom is “Mom-Mom”. Should I be “Mom-Mom-Mom”? – no that’s just silly. “Grandma” is so, I don’t know…. regular. “Grammy” feels old, but it is kind of cute. “Me-Mom”? — probably not, because it naturally evokes “Pee-Pop” for Hubby. He’s already calling him self P-Daddy, so that will probably stick. Why is he having fun with this, but I seem to be mired in angst?

One of my brothers-in law is called Papa` (accent on the last syllable) by his grandchildren and I just love that. Mama’, however, reminds me of the Addams Family, so that’s out. I’ve got a few months to figure this out, but I’d love to hear some stories of how you and yours have named the grandparents in your world and get some suggestions.

11 Responses to “Grandmother Names-What should mine be?”

1. Stephanie June 23, 2009 at 11:33 pm #

Let’s see. My MIL kind of “named herself” (which I appreciated). She is “Ma” and my FIL is “Pa.” It fits them perfectly. They’re down-to-earth, loving, involved grandparents with a laid-back “cowboy” kind of lifestyle.

My mom is “Gram” and my dad is “Gramps.” I chose those titles because they didn’t make any suggestions…and they said they liked it when I suggested those names. I’m not sure if those names will “stick” or not though. My sister is due with her first baby in December so we’ll see what she and her husband come up with. :)

2. Donna Donnelly June 24, 2009 at 8:29 am #

Thanks Stephanie. Those are cute. “Gram” is as cute as “Grammy”. I just found out that the Obama girls call the First Grandmother “Glam-ma” That’s hilarious!

3. beth - total mom haircut June 24, 2009 at 11:52 am #

My mom decided ahead of time that she was going to be “Grammy,” but when my first child started talking he quickly dubbed her “Meme.” And of course my mother loved that more than anthing she could have come up with on her own. It might not be up to you:)

4. Donna Donnelly June 24, 2009 at 11:56 am #

Thanks! That would be perfect. I’ll pick out a name for now and then let her name me later.

5. Wendy June 24, 2009 at 11:59 am #

I am the oldest in my family and I was able to name both sets of grandparents. For some reason, my dad’s parents are Nana & Pop-Pop. But for my mom’s parents, hold on – - ready? Originals – Monga and Pata. Yup that’s right! Original all around. Enjoy your new grandbaby!

6. Donna Donnelly June 24, 2009 at 12:04 pm #

That’s Great Wendy!! I love it. There must be a bigger story around those names?

7. Kristen June 25, 2009 at 2:28 pm #

My mom is Marmie. She had four daughers, her “Little Women,” so it fit as her grandmother name.

My kids call my MIL Nana and my sister-in-law’s kids call her Grandma. She wanted to be called Nana like her mother, but my SIL wasn’t into that. Our kids came along 8 years later and she wanted to be called Nana. No problem. Except now she refers to herself as Grandma around my kids and Nana around the other. LOL

8. Kathleen June 26, 2009 at 10:12 pm #

This is such an interesting topic, as my son is 1 and we’re not sure what the grandparents will be called. So far, with my in-laws it’s grandma and Poppy, named by my niece. With my parents, my mom likes GG, which is easy to say and is kind of flirty, like Gigi. My dad so far is just Grandpa, but we’ll see what happens when my son starts talking more.

9. Donna Donnelly June 27, 2009 at 4:16 pm #

So you’re leaving it up to him! I like it. On the one side you’ve got it covered already. I am hearing so many GiGis these days. I’ve got to say it had not occurred to me. Maybe I could be DD or Dee Dee like my initials. This should not be this difficult. Maybe I will wait for her to talk!!

10. Словарь Юриста July 23, 2009 at 7:01 pm #

списки кандидатов, выдвигаемые партиями политическими и избирательными объединениями (блоками) на выборах в представительные органы, проводимые по пропорциональной избирательной системе.

1. Graco Heart to Heart Blog - Wondrous Wednesday #89 - December 22, 2009

[...] 11th, 2009, at 12:01 pm, weighing in at 8lbs 1oz and 20.5 inches long, and according to “Nonna,” “looks just like her mom (only with [...]