My Last Pregnancy???

melissa-pregnantAs my pregnancy is coming to an end (6 more weeks to go!), it has been making me wonder if this is the last time that I will ever experience all of this: the baby kicking, moving, flipping… My pregnancy with PP was complicated. There were concerns about placenta previa, low amniotic fluid and finally (and the thing that caused me to have an induction), poor fetal growth. Needless to say, every doctor appointment I went to was followed by a trip to the hospital for another ultrasound. (I think this is why PP loves having her picture taken!)

With this pregnancy, everything has been “normal.” I haven’t had many ultrasounds (one at 6 weeks to check viability and another one at 20 weeks). Because I think I was having ultrasound withdraw (and I wanted to do something special to document this pregnancy), I had the 3D/4D ultrasound at 28 weeks.

Also with this pregnancy, I was really sick from weeks 5-10 but felt completely fine after that. Compared to my first pregnancy, this one is a “breeze.” Which made me think to myself, will this be the last time that I carry a child??? My husband thinks it is, but I have my doubts (don’t tell him I said that).

But, talk to me after labor and delivery and in 3 years when I am refereeing fights between my two girls….

Take our survey and be entered to win!

11 Responses to “My Last Pregnancy???”

1. Kristen June 30, 2009 at 2:33 pm #

I’ve been wondering the very same thing recently… and my answer is similar to yours – hubby says this is it, but I say let’s just wait and see! :)

Interestingly enough, I’m beginning to wonder if this pregnancy #2 will EVER End? I’m now officially 7 days overdue and this baby has no intention (or so it seems) of making his way into the world anytime soon. Can’t stay in there forever little man! My first son was 4 days overdue, but I’m definitely in uncharted waters at this point.

Here’s to wishing you better luck than I’m having on delivering close to your due date! :)

2. Heather June 30, 2009 at 3:09 pm #

HEY! I voted for Paige. That was one of “our girl” name and I love it! Can’t wait to find out!!

3. Tiffany June 30, 2009 at 4:12 pm #

My last was my last. The health risks are just too great for me to go through it again. If I were one of those women who can have blissful healthy pregnancies and easy breezy deliveries, I’d probably have an army of kids. But it’s not in the cards for me….

4. Stephanie June 30, 2009 at 5:12 pm #

Hi Melissa!

We have two little girls also (a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 1/2 month old).

I was blessed to have had two healthy pregnancies and deliveries, except that I had MISERABLE (as in “throwing-up-nonstop-all-day-long-and-losing-weight” sick) morning sickness for the first four months of each.

During this last pregnancy, both my husband and I were about 98% sure that it would be our last. But now – 3 months later – we’re not so sure. This second baby has been pure joy and who is to say that another one wouldn’t be equally sweet and delightful?

5. Melissa L. July 1, 2009 at 8:18 am #

I am glad to see you are doing well, Melissa! I have had many of the same feelings as you. With my first (Lovey), things went pretty well. With my second (who is now already 4 months old!) we had some pretty big scares early on…the first ultrasound revealed a rather large cyst on the umbilical cord suggesting all sorts of scary stuff. Because of my age, they had me do a bunch of genetic testing even though I told them that I would not make any “selection” decisions according to the results. When the cyst miraculously resolved itself, they discovered that I was at risk for placenta previa so I had to discontinue my work travel and really take it easy for several months. Needless to say, she is beautiful and perfect and all the worrying turned out to be unfounded-it is easy to talk about having a strong faith but when it comes right down to it…

My husband and I have decided that we are done. I have had several emotional moments in realizing that I will never take part in such a wonderful miracle again…but I also realize just how blessed I am to have the two beautiful girls that I have been charged with.

Take care-

Melissa Landis

6. Melissa Parlaman July 1, 2009 at 9:49 am #

Thanks to everyone for sharing their personal stories. This little gal will be here before we know it & I look forward to spending time with my expanded family!

7. T with Honey July 1, 2009 at 2:15 pm #

I’ve found myself contemplating the exact same question about once every few weeks. But I also wondered if it would be the last time when I was pregnant with Princess since it isn’t the easiest getting me pregnant.

I think my blog has helped a lot. Even though I haven’t been writing about this pregnancy as much as I wanted to our thought I would I’ve documented a lot more than I ever did when I was pregnant with Princess.

And according to my doctor I’ve got 2 weeks to go at the most. This morning she checked after doing the strep swab and told me I’m 1-2 cm dilated already. I can’t believe we’ll be a family of 4 sometime in the next week or two!

Hope you’re not melting in GA! On the few hot days I’ve had to experience I’ve been miserable. So even though it is now July and it is raining with temps barely making it to 70 degrees I refuse to complain.

8. T with Honey July 1, 2009 at 2:17 pm #

Oh, I forgot to mention the picture! I see you’re holding PP. Doesn’t that just freak other people out when you pick up your first born?! I gave Princess a big hug and picked her up when I dropped her off at day care the other day and I thought the adults in the room were going to lose their eyeballs.

9. Rob July 2, 2009 at 11:55 pm #

I think Melissa should remember how difficult it is to carry a child, then decide if she should have another child. I voted for Lila as the name b/c I think Lila Bella Parlaman is a name that has potential for greatness. Or, Lila Belle Parlaman. It just flows and sounds like someone who will be famous. What do you think?

10. Steph @ Problem Solvin Mom July 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm #

I’ve been having similar thoughts, though I’m pretty sure this will be our last pregnancy, so I’m trying to be especially mindful of treasuring all the little kicks and turns…I’ve loved being pregnant both times, though this one included much more morning sickness the first trimester. I wish we’d gotten started a bit sooner – whenever I bring up the subject of another, hubs reminds me he doesn’t want to have to leave a nursing home to attend the littlest’s graduation! (silly man, I told him the kiddos would keep him young, no?!) ;)

11. Lorina Fiorenza August 7, 2010 at 2:15 pm #

This is a very important article. It is extraordinary how you boil down your point and make it easy to understand! Thanks!