My Top 5 Favorite Summertime Things to do with Kids

summertime-postBeing new in Atlanta, it’s an odd feeling having school starting so early. I mean c’mon, it’s August! We still have an entire month left of summer! I’m not ready to go back to school . I have so many of our usual fun summer activities yet to be done in our new town. EGAD! Excuse me while I breathe into a paper bag and try and come up with a plan to squeeze them all in on the remaining weekends!

Ok, I feel better now after sharing my momentary panic-stricken reality moment from time flying by so fast I can barely stand it. Without further adieu, here are my top 5 favorite summer delights:

1. Carnivals
Hello??? Who doesn’t love seeing the happy faces on kiddie rides and yummy fair food like funnel cakes and cotton candy?

2. Fireworks
Typically a 4th of July thing, but since we missed them at that time, hopefully we can find some locally for the Labor Day holiday.

3. S’mores
Either made over a gas grill, campfire, an indoor maker, or even in the microwave they just scream summer to me.

4. Back to school shopping
This is not just the shopaholic in me talking, though I have had lessons from the best. I really get nostalgic remembering all the shopping trips to find the perfect lunchbox, trapper keeper and first day of school outfit with my great Aunt Sophie. BTW…my Walton’s lunchbox in 3rd grade RULED!

summer-25. A day at the beach
I love everything about it. My toes in the sand, comfy beach chair and a People magazine good book, all make for a great day under the shade of a colorful beach umbrella. We won’t talk about the difference of the day I list above and a beach day reality with DH and the kids. Please let me have my moment.

I know you all have your own favorite summertime activities. Whether the events are deeply rooted in your own childhood memories or a new idea shared from a neighbor or friend. I would really like to hear what your favorites are. I would love to add more ideas to my own list and really pack in the fun for the last few weekends of the season. Before I know it, I’m sure they’ll be gone.

10 Responses to “My Top 5 Favorite Summertime Things to do with Kids”

1. Neil August 21, 2009 at 8:02 pm #

This brought me back. My little one isn’t school age yet, but I’m still looking forward to all of these activities when she gets older.

2. kim August 26, 2009 at 7:24 pm #

HO-BOES!!!!!

3. Karen Hartzell, Graco August 27, 2009 at 7:30 am #

Mmmmmmm….hobos…those wonderful foil packets of a hamburger patty, veggies and potatoes all cooked on an open campfire…they were so good! I wonder how they would cook in a gas grill? I just may be buying a little regular charcoal grill this weekend now. :-)

4. Edna August 27, 2009 at 7:42 am #

1. Building castles on the beach, 2. Catching lightening bugs, 3. Family picnics, 4. Camping in the backyard (for only a few hours then finding them on the family room floor), 5. My all time favorite used to be the first day of school after a long long tiring summer and the rituals that went along with it. I am sure they remember me doing it every year ! My classic first day of school big breakfast with all the trimmings followed by my comment, “now your on your own!” lol

Now that my oldest is in the work world, my middle child is in college and my baby in her last year of high school :-( , I just enjoy them coming home for dinner ! Or wanting to go out to dinner with us so we can catch up, its worth every penny ! Enjoy every minute it flies by like the lightening bug that is just out of reach and can’t be caught…..

5. Tiffany August 28, 2009 at 4:39 pm #

Oh gosh, I am NOT a summer person. Probably because I live here in the South (and I know, Atlanta is The South too, but ya’ll get snow..and ice…so you’re more North in my mind!!). But when it’s over 100 degrees with 100+% humidity, I can’t bring myself to enjoy ANYthing outside. We hibernate in the AC until late Fall.

6. Karen August 28, 2009 at 8:45 pm #

1.You have to goto Wildwood and ride the rides at Morey’s Pier. 2.Whitewater rafting and camping(guess we don’t do that anymore, but we will when the kids get old enough).
    3. Beach day( my girl is the best beach kid, she plays the whole time in the sand and doesn’t bother me at all)
    4. Dutch Wonderland, they still have the cow that you can milk, I have pics of me when I was little.
    5.Last minute day trips, this year we went to every zoo in the area, took the train into Philly for the day, Crystal cave, Sesame Place, Cabella’s, Carlo’s Bakery,and Sea Isle City.

7. Karen Hartzell, Graco August 31, 2009 at 8:06 am #

What awesome ideas…even about staying in the AC! It has been awful humid here lately. lol

BTW…Baby spots lightning bugs out the window before going to sleep most nights in our new house. So sweet and a fun way to end the day.

8. Sue September 1, 2009 at 7:38 am #

A few activities I like but don’t get to do real often since our kids never seem to be home all at the same time…lol
    1) family bike ride 2)going out for ice cream 3)a day at the amusement park 4)going to a ball game 5) family vacation at the beach (this is a must every summer!) and finally drum roll please….sitting on the patio watching my kids run around the yard playing while I get five minutes of R & R and the chance to etch a memory of this moment in my mind.

9. Auto Salvage Parts August 29, 2010 at 11:37 am #

Found this site on Facebook, and I just wanted to say thanks for the information!

10. Black Evening Shoes October 8, 2010 at 9:33 am #

Found this site on Twitter, and I just wanted to say that I appreciated the information!