Goodbye Graco

Well, the time has come- I am “officially” saying goodbye today. And I will say goodbye in typical Lebresco style- from the hip and from my heart… (and a little rambly at that)

Nearly 7 years ago when I started at Graco Children’s Products, I was a twenty-something, passionate, junior marketer full of ideas and the desire to learn. On top of that, I was a newlywed with no plans for babies in the near future. In my first few months, this combination made it clear that not only did I have a lot to learn as a professional, but I had a lot to learn about all this “baby stuff.” Now, as I depart, I’m a thirty-something, accomplished and confident marketer with 2 beautiful children, a head still full of ideas and a heart still full of passion.

swingThe fact is, I grew up at Graco. Yes, it was only 7 years but I can tell you the moment it happened- February 7th, 2005 at 2:57am – the moment my son, my first child, was born. 19 months later, when my daughter arrived, my shifting perspectives on life and work at Graco, were cemented.

Years ago, when I sat at my desk and had my mail delivered in a stroller, I thought that was pretty cool. And the year I incorporated one of our baby swings into my Halloween costume, I thought that was fun too. And of course the letters that would come across my desk from grateful parents who believed our car seats helped save their child’s life were incredibly moving.

carseat1But, it wasn’t until I strapped my own 7 pound baby boy into a Graco SnugRide that I GOT the significance of my job. With each product I used that year and then the year after that, my pride as a Graco employee grew. These products played such an important role in my life as a mom and they’ll forever be a part of the memories I have as I look back.  I used to joke to Melissa that I was a “lifer.” “They should just give me my parking spot now because I plan to be here for the next 30 years,” I would joke. Well that is not to be. Today is my last day as a Graco employee.  See, my husband and I chose to stay here in Exton as many of my friends (along with my kids’ playmates :( )packed up and headed south last month. Leaving friends, family and our precious cul-de-sac life would have been too jarring for my “lifer” way of thinking. :) Our roots are deep- deeper then I ever realized until faced with the choice to move.

thegirlsWhile choosing to leave Graco was tougher then I expected, I truly believe I am privileged to have at least worked here. I learned so much- some of which is still working itself out. I have made some of the best friends I will ever know. And, to work for a company full of caring, wonderful and generous people working toward a common goal of making life a little easier for new parents was an honor. And it was wonderful to become one of those new parents while working here – a beautiful synchronicity for my life.

bdayAnd probably the best part of all of that was that I got to share that synchronicity here on this blog with all of you. Thank you for listening, engaging and being real with me here over the last 18 months- it has meant more to me then you’ll ever know.

Of course, as you know, it’s not like I’m the only one blogging here. This blog is like a little “village” (as my son calls the neighborhood where we live)- it’s a collection of Graco people and perspectives. It’s funny- I’ve come to feel like this blog is my 3rd baby. And, as they say, it “takes a village to raise a child” so I happily turn the blog over today to the “village” here at Graco, led by the new lead blogger, Kelly Voelker.

And though I may not work here anymore, every day when I strap my kids safely in their car seats, Graco will still mean the world to me.

Thanks for everything!

27 Responses to “Goodbye Graco”

1. Dawn August 28, 2009 at 3:11 pm #

Awesome post… best of luck.
    You will certainly be missed!!!

2. Jim Deitzel August 28, 2009 at 3:11 pm #

Lindsay, we’ll miss you being part of the Newell Rubbermaid team. I enjoy the conversations online and offline and learned much from you. Thanks! I hope the next seven years are as good.

3. Lindsay Lebresco August 28, 2009 at 3:16 pm #

Thanks Jim! I hope the next 7 years are as good- just not with 2 more babies 19 months apart! :) Great working with you

4. Mom101 August 28, 2009 at 3:16 pm #

I can’t even imagine a Graco without Lindsay! You’ve been such a fabulous face of the brand for bloggers for so long, you are leaving some tough shoes to fill.

Best of luck to you.

5. Jen Callaghan August 28, 2009 at 3:21 pm #

Lindsay,

I love this post. It took me back to my own great experience at Graco, and the amazing friends I had there. You’re passion will stay with the people you’ve touched, and you will always carry a little piece of it with you. Best of luck in this new chapter!

6. Ed Nicholson August 28, 2009 at 3:29 pm #

Lindsay
    You’re a smart woman, who’s going to bring energy, passion and intelligence to whatever you do. You’ve done a phenomenal job here, and someone’s going to be very fortunate to have you on their team.
    All the best.

7. Jeremy Pepper August 28, 2009 at 3:40 pm #

It was great seeing you again this past BlogHer, and, well, at almost every BlogHer I’ve been so far.

Good luck on your next thing, and I’m sure it’ll go amazingly well as this did for you.

8. Heidi August 28, 2009 at 3:53 pm #

This post truly goes to show that people (and places of employment) leave meaningful footprints in our lives. I’m waiting (and looking forward) to that moment when I officially ‘grow up’ at the end of January. It has been a pleasure working with you Lindsay, and best of luck to you in your upcoming endeavors.

9. Heather August 28, 2009 at 4:01 pm #

Awwww, Lindsay! I will say my farewell with a quote, “How lucky am I(you) to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” (from play/book “Annie”). You are inspiration and an even better friend! Cheers!

10. Laura Levitan August 28, 2009 at 4:26 pm #

Lindsay – I wish you all the best movng forward – you have been a wonderful asset to Graco and truly brought the brand to life. I hope we can stay in touch!

11. Shannon August 28, 2009 at 4:55 pm #

awww… Lindsay….. such a great post. we will surely miss you at graco, but know we’ll still be connected in the blogoshpere.

12. Kim @ What's That Smell? August 28, 2009 at 7:35 pm #

Lindsay,
    You will certainly be missed! Good luck with what the future holds for you.

13. Amy from Occupation: Mommy August 28, 2009 at 7:54 pm #

Lindsay, I truly wish you the best in your future endeavors. You have been the face of Graco to so many bloggers, especially in the Philadelphia area. You will be missed!

14. Jen @ One Moms World August 28, 2009 at 9:16 pm #

Here’s to the best future ever Lindsay. It definitely will not be the same around the social media scene of Graco! I hope you will still be around in the social media community though :)

15. casual friday every day August 28, 2009 at 9:25 pm #

Lyndsee, I will truly miss your presence here on the blog. I wish you all the best. Your post moved me to tears. Wherever life takes you, I know it’ll bring true happiness and success.

Much love,
    Nell

16. Lisa@Pampers August 28, 2009 at 10:10 pm #

Lindsay – best of luck to you and I hope our paths cross again sometime in the near future!! Welcome, Kelly – you have some big shoes to fill :-) but what I’ve seen so far has been great!!

17. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls August 29, 2009 at 1:11 am #

This was beautiful, Lindsay! I am so happy to have gotten to know you through Graco and to have had the chance to meet in person last month at BlogHer. Good luck to you and I hope that you will keep in touch with all of us. :)

18. Kim Lefko August 29, 2009 at 1:48 am #

Lindsay, we are really going to miss you. Your passion, insight and drive have been so refreshing and took us to new places. I especially want to thank you for your friendship – you welcomed me into the ‘working mother’ club and taught me a lot. We will be excited to see you next time you’re in Atlanta. You will always be a part of the graco family.

19. Dixie August 29, 2009 at 3:40 pm #

Lndsay you will be missed. I never went out and read the blog but when you stated your good bye letter was out there I thought what the heck. Let me see what she had to say. I guess I can offically say I blogged and it was because of you. Seriously your smile and passion will be missed.

20. Lindsay Lebresco August 29, 2009 at 10:56 pm #

Thank you so much for the kind words everyone! It has made departing just a little easier for me. I also appreciate you taking the time to make these comments for me (especially the first-timer, Dixie!!) to see. The beauty of social media means no one can get too far away so I will be seeing all of you somewhere in some way. Thanks again everyone!!

21. Lindsay Lebresco August 29, 2009 at 11:17 pm #

By the way, ignore that picture :) That’s obviously not me. (Sorry Anne Marie!) That was on my list of things to fix that I never got around to!

22. Buck "Daddy" Rogers August 30, 2009 at 12:58 pm #

You will be missed, and feel free to email or tweet me anytime, would love to stay in touch

23. Karen Hartzell, Graco August 31, 2009 at 8:12 am #

You will be missed and I am sure you will continue to do great things in the SM arena! Wish you much happiness!

24. Kristen August 31, 2009 at 8:37 am #

A fond farewell to someone who has certainly touched my life!
    Thank you for everything. Keep in touch and best of luck in all you do!

25. Bert DuMars August 31, 2009 at 9:09 am #

Lindsay – We will definitely miss you. I know you will be close by at Converseon but it was sure nice having you as a part of the Newell Rubbermaid family. You have become a good friend over the past two years and we will definitely stay in touch through our social web and social networks. Also, an occasional phone call is expected.

Wishing you nothing but success in your new role and the next phase of your career.

26. Monica ~ MommyBrain August 31, 2009 at 10:54 am #

Lindsay,

I can’t imagine you not being at Graco! You have done an amazing job bringing Graco into Social Media! Although I’ve never had a chance to work with you as a blogger, I’ve enjoyed meeting you at a couple of events and know you’re going to have great success in whatever you decide to do next!

Congratulations on 7 very amazing years! Wishing you many more!

~Monica @ Mommy Brain Reports

27. Stephanie September 2, 2009 at 12:21 am #

Goodbye, Lindsay…and Best Wishes! Where are you headed from here?

P.S. You will be missed.