Love at First Sight?

kkmvThey say the purest form of “love at first sight” is when you see your baby for the very first time. Since I’ve never had a baby, I’m not sure I can speak from experience, but I think I’ve come pretty close.

As many of you know, I’m getting married next weekend. Mike and I didn’t exactly meet in the most traditional way… but you might say it was love at first sight.

It was the Thanksgiving weekend of 2005 when I hopped in my Camry in Roanoke, VA to drive back to Atlanta from my parent’s house at the time (they live in Charlotte now). It’s a long drive, and I’d been in the car for several hours when I glanced over and saw a very cute guy driving in the car next to me on I-85.

We passed each other a few times, glancing at each other and making stupid faces when Mike finally pulled out a piece of paper, wrote, “Where are you headed?” and held it up in the window for me to read.

I laughed, (was this seriously happening!?) and held up my own sign that said, “ATL, you?”

He was headed to Atlanta too, on his way home from his parent’s house in Raleigh. It went on like that, holding up notes to each other as we sped along, until I finally held up my number in the window for him to call me (in retrospect, all of this maybe wasn’t the safest idea…).

He called, and it was a pretty funny way to start a conversation:

First, “Hi. Um… What’s your name?”

And then, “Do you always pick people up on the highway?!”

After that, we instantly hit it off.

We talked for the rest of the drive – two and a half hours – about who knows what. All I remember is that we laughed a lot and time flew by. Once we got back into Atlanta, my phone died and Mike wrote one last note saying he’d call me some time (I thought, yeah right – like this guy who I met on the HIGHWAY is going to call me again…) but he actually did!

He asked me out, and here we are almost four years later getting ready to walk down the aisle.

We still laugh about it every once in a while. Did we really meet on the highway!? We’ve decided it had to be destiny to meet like that. Love at first sight even. And even if you don’t believe in either of those things, you might want to keep a pen and paper in the glove compartment, juuuuust in case :)

What is your “love at first sight” story? And what was it like when you saw your baby for the first time?

Editor’s Note: While all of our wonderful Graco contributors keep adding content on the blog, I’ll be out until Sept. 29 for my wedding and honeymoon. Looking forward to sharing stories (and pictures) when I get back!

8 Responses to “Love at First Sight?”

1. Todd Wasulko September 4, 2009 at 1:24 pm #

Kelly,
    I haven’t seen you in years but I had to comment and tell you that I think that is a very funny but cute and awesome story! Congratulations and wish you two the best of luck and hope the stories never stop!
    Todd

2. Lisa@Pampers September 4, 2009 at 1:31 pm #

What a great story, Kelly! looking forward to reading more!!

3. Heidi September 4, 2009 at 2:24 pm #

What a great story, Kelly! I am looking forward to my ‘love at first sight’ in January when the little one comes along!

4. Kim @ What's That Smell? September 4, 2009 at 7:16 pm #

Wow that is a great story.

I met my husband at a local bar (I never go to bars) but I met up with a couple of friends on a strange evening where we were all bored enough to go to this place. One friend showed up with her brother, who was in the Navy (and happened to be drunk at this point in the story). While there, an old timer fell off a bar stool and cracked his head open and my friend’s brother was right there holding a towel up to this guy’s head while they waited for the paramedics. I was smitten, despite the intoxication.

Before the night ended he gave me his phone number. I actually called him, and he said he couldn’t talk (he was at work) and could I call him back. He thought he blew it by not getting my number but I called him back. And again he couldn’t talk. Third time was a charm. We were married a year and a half later. That was over 9 years ago. We’ll be celebrating 10 yrs in June.

Congratulations Kelly!

5. Naomi September 4, 2009 at 11:35 pm #

What a great story! My grandparents met in a similar way only it was during WWII and my grandpa was with three of his buddies in a convertible, chasing my grandma and her three friends… Three of the couples who met that way ended up married for over sixty years. You never can tell when you’ll meet the right person!

6. Shannon September 5, 2009 at 1:10 pm #

That is one of the best “first meeting” stories of all time! Congrats on your wedding! Enjoy.

7. Tina September 8, 2009 at 8:19 am #

What a great story! That is definitely one to tell to your children and grandchildren! Congratulations and best wishes for a Happily Ever After. I’ll bet in the next few years we’ll all be reading about your Love at first sight with a newborn. Good Luck.

8. Stephanie September 9, 2009 at 2:16 pm #

Your story totally made me smile. Your future kids are going to love hearing it. :)

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, by the way. Marriage is marvelous.