That Was Deee-licious!

Yay! I finally did it! I finally got a “Yummy. That was Deeee-licious, Mommy!” in reference to a dinner I cooked. This was overly exciting for me since:

1.  I’m not a cook (although I have mastered hot dogs on the grill)

2.  I haven’t had to cook dinner in 2+ years (yay to hubby working from home and boo that he’s now in an office again)

3.  I’m typically a crazed lunatic after picking up 2 hungry kids from daycare and making a civilized dinner before 7pm (I’ve been known to stop at Dunkin Donuts to keep the hunger cries at bay for 15 minutes)

Plus, you should know that I made my masterpiece super fast (under 15 minutes), did it in 1 pan with NO measuring. Basically, it was super easy, no-stree, and un-screw-up-able.  Seriously.

graco-big-macNow, I know you’re wondering “what is this wonder meal?”, this piece-de-resistance (pardon my lack of French here), this marvel that makes mouths water and children cheer for more? Drumroll please. . . it’s my world famous “Big Mac in a Pot!” That’s right. Not very sexy sounding, but o-so-tasty!

I first had it as a Girl Scout and I’ve dreamed about it ever since. I hadn’t had it since I was 8, but it struck a total taste bud in my mind. And I’m happy to say that it totally delivered against my memory from, let’s just say, 20+ years ago. Now, my dilemma is that I have only ONE strong meal in my repertoire (OK. Two if you count my hot dogs, which my kids do).

So, in exchange for the recipe below I’m asking for a little something from you. . . . PLEASE send me your simple Deeee-licious recipes that I can use to wow my 3-year old. Thank you and ENJOY!!!!

BIG MAC IN A POT

1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
Couple Handfuls of Ripped up lettuce
Couple Handfuls of Shredded cheese
Couple Handfuls of Tomatoes (I cut cherry tomatoes in half)
Generous spoonfuls of Thousand Island Dressing
Hamburger Rolls

Brown ground beef in a skillet.
Drain off excess fat and remove from heat.
Stir in lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and Thousand Island dressing. Add in more to suit your taste.

6 Responses to “That Was Deee-licious!”

1. Amy September 25, 2009 at 11:34 am #

Forgot to mention. . . spoon mixture onto hamburger roll. Yum!

2. Monica Filyaw September 25, 2009 at 12:32 pm #

Sounds yummy – I will pass it along to my hubby – I’m not the cooking type either. I got this one from Christine, but I beat her to the comments and she probably has about 50 great go to recipes.

“Pasta” – as named by Brianna (nothing else is pasta)
    ~1 lb of tomatoes, any kind (fresh from the garden is best), with or without seeds your choice, chopped bite size or smaller (grape are a little small, roma work well)
    1/2-1 lb mozarella cheese (fancy soft kind or store brand – again your choice), cut smaller than bite size
    4-6 T olive oil
    2-4 T balsalmic vinegar
    1-2 cloves garlic
    1-2 tsp red pepper flakes if you like spice
    Toss it all together, cover and let set at room temp

Make pasta, enough for your 4 people, any kind, we like rotinni or bow tie. Drain. Toss in bowl above. Serve. The warm pasta will just start to melt the cheese – mmm.

You can also add chicken or sausage for more umpf or a salad.

My kids started by just eating the cheese, then they added pasta, then tomatoes. Now Brianna (6 yr old) eats more than my hubby and begs for it every week.

3. Francoise September 26, 2009 at 1:12 pm #

I’ll have to try that recipe! Always looking for something different.
    I’ll share some soup recipes that are big hits with Nick, Natalie, and Noah. They forget they’re eating veggies.
    Cauliflower soup: wash and cut cauliflower into smaller pieces. Put in pot and place enough chicken broth so you do not quite cover the veggies. Heat with lid until cauliflower is soft. Blend either in a blender or with a soup stick blending item (no idea what it’s called). It should be too thick. Add some milk to desired consistency and lots of cheddar cheese. Heat and stir until melted. That’s it. Also works with broccoli, though you may need a little flour and butter to begin with; lots of cheese. Also works with carrots: 1-2 pounds of carrots, a couple of apples, broth, and curry (start small -maybe 1 teaspoon – you can always add some more); no cheese, but some cayenne for adults may be good. Feel free to add onion to cauliflower or broccoli, though it’s too strong of a flavor for Natalie.

4. Lindsay Lebresco September 28, 2009 at 10:54 am #

Oh that sounds great! I’m totally trying that! Not sure my DS would try it but the rest of us will surely enjoy ourselves. I love the “couple handfuls” measurement- so my style!

5. Mom aka Grammie October 6, 2009 at 8:34 pm #

Wow, I am so impressed that you remembered this tasty dish from Girl Scout days. Everyone laughs when I tell them about this particular meal which can feed a troop (or large family) very easily. So glad the kids enjoyed it. Have you tried the banana boats yet? when they are older we’ll move on to buddy burner breakfasts! Love, Mom

6. Lashay Wolf January 15, 2010 at 3:15 pm #

Highly impressed, found your blog on digg.Glad I finally tested it out. Not sure if its my Explorer browser,but sometimes when I visit your site, the fonts are really small? However, love your post and will return.See Ya