Yes, you heard correctly. I’m ashamed to admit it – I’ve never actually set foot in a Babies “R” Us. That is, until today. And what an eye-opening day it was. For my first day back from my wedding and honeymoon (more on that later!) I finally took my first trip to the land of all things little ones.
As I walked through the doors and took a look around, I couldn’t help but whisper, “Woah…” The place is MASSIVE. I mean, more baby things than you could ever even imagine in one place. And at that moment I felt like I could finally understand what it’s like to be pregnant for the first time and shopping for the soon-to-be most important person in your life. Can you say a little overwhelming?
Here are a few things I learned today:
1. Bottle nipples come in an insane number of sizes, shapes and materials.
2. That little squishy circle thing with the pointy tube is actually used for baby boogers.
3. Your stomach dances a little when you buy “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” (This might be because I’m not actually pregnant, but I have a feeling I’d still get a bit of a twinge even if I was. This one’s next on my reading list now. Can’t wait to share the tidbits I learn there!)
4. That you will say, “Ohmigod this is soooooo cute,” at least 45 times before you even leave the first aisle.
5. You need to use a totally different kind of laundry detergent when you have a baby. (No, I did not know this.)
6. Organic EVERYTHING is so in.
7. You can buy tampons, toothbrushes, and lots of other unexpected, non-baby related items at Babies “R” Us.
8. When I finally do have a baby, I will 100% dress them in some kind of fruit or vegetable Halloween costume.
9. Thinking about buying a car seat for your child is definitely intimidating! (Our goal is to help you in that area )
10. I can’t wait to go back!
And I just skimmed the surface today. Now that I’ve had my introduction, I’m ready to really learn more about the details behind each of the products out there. I’m sure I’ll have even more enlightening moments to share as I get into the nitty gritty…
What was your first experience shopping when you were pregnant OR are you pregnant now and getting ready for your first trip out to look for baby gear? Would love to hear your stories!