From Bump to Bundle

mother-daughter1Well She’s Here! You may have seen Love Bird featured in Wondrous Wednesday #89, or you may have seen me tweeting from the waiting room…

Starting from the moment I learned my DD was being moved during a possible version procedure (turning of a breech baby) into the O.R. for a C-section, I am learning what it REALLY means to be a grandmother.

ultrasound-14-wks1Throughout Bunny’s pregnancy, I watched the “bump”grow. I worried a lot about how it would all transpire and how my DD was doing. I’m not sure why, but I didn’t really worry about the baby, I worried about Bunny and her pregnancy. I signed up on Baby Center for “My Pregnancy Week to Week” and voraciously followed the developing fetus, trying to picture the little one that belongs to us. I hung on to the reassurance that all was perfect with each doctor visit update and reports from DD that she was doing and feeling great. I drooled over the ultrasound pictures. I read stories to the bump and it thrilled me to have the privilege to touch it. I was so excited when I first felt Love Bird move. How different from feeling it from the inside! It really was a picture perfect pregnancy.

Finally, I was able to give up my worries after she passed the 36th week and the baby looked to be a good size and had all indications of every great chance of survival. I was ecstatic with anticipation and basking in my non-worry until we learned that she was breech. This news shocked and alarmed me at first as my mind raced backwards in history to all of the horror stories from the “olden days.” I was downright scared.

Over then next week or so, as matter-of-factly as I could, I listened to Bunny give me the updates from the series of appointments she and SIL had with ob-gyns, perinatoligists; receiving ultrasounds, getting fluid measurements and weighing advice. They eventually decided to elect for an external cephalic version procedure (version).

my-1st-hold1On the day of the procedure, about 10:40 a.m., I received a call at work from Bunny letting me know they were going in for a C-section at 11:00. I quickly shut my computer down and raced to the hospital as fast as I could. They hadn’t yet taken her into the O.R. by time I arrived, so I got a chance to see her. She was calm, confident and happily excited. She went in to the O.R. a little after 12:30 and I retired to the (eerily empty) waiting room which very was nicely appointed with wireless and pulled up Twitter.

This particular hospital plays Brahm’s Lullaby over the P. A. system whenever a baby is born and I heard it at just after 12 noon. That must be our baby already!! Tweet Tweet….I anxiously awaited word on mother and baby, but nothing…. I began to worry (again!!) Gradually, other family members arrived and we began to worry together. Finally, sometime after 2:30, SIL sporting the hugest grin I ever saw him with (and he is a smiley guy), came to get us. We all scurried through the hallways to their birthing suite. I cannot describe the feeling of seeing my daughter sitting peacefully holding her own daughter. It was surreal, yet at the same time, as if life had always been this way. The Miracle of Life never ceases to be a miracle, no matter how many times it happens.

9 Responses to “From Bump to Bundle”

1. Bobby October 9, 2009 at 6:37 pm #

Thanks for your story. It is always good to hear a happy ending. Today breach babies are safer than ever with all the advanced medical proceedures available. Also, not enough people acknowledge how hard childbirth can be for grandmothers. After all, they have two babies to worry about.

2. Lindsay Lebresco October 9, 2009 at 10:45 pm #

Oh man Donna- you tell a good story! I’ve got tears in my eyes. I just love hearing your point of view- it makes me appreciate my mother and MIL that much more. Bobby (above) is right- you have 2 babies to worry about- I guess I hadn’t thought of it like that. I’m so happy for you. And you might be the coolest Nonna ever- pulling up Twitter in the waiting room?! You rock!! (and not like other grandma’s in rocking chairs- like in social media!) :)

3. Kayla October 11, 2009 at 7:54 pm #

This is such a wonderful story and thank you for sharing it with all of us! Enjoy every minute with the new grandbaby!

4. Tina October 12, 2009 at 8:29 am #

Congratulations on the birth of your grand daughter. What a great story!

5. Tamar October 12, 2009 at 1:59 pm #

Donna… your story brought a tear to my eyes… and made me think about my mother when she became a grandmother to my little girl and the absolute joy and love in her eyes when she laid eyes on her first grandchild. Someone told me once that the love of a grandparent is the purest love… I can see that every time I see my parents with my kids.

6. computer backpacks April 22, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

Considerably, the post is in reality the top on this laudable topic. I match in with your conclusions and also will eagerly look forward to your incoming updates. Saying thanks will not simply be enough, for the incredible clarity in your writing. I will certainly at once grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Pleasant work and much success in your business efforts!

7. white leather chaise lounge September 15, 2010 at 9:21 am #

You will discover absolutely a lot of details like that to take into account. That is a good point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are actually questions just like the one you bring up exactly where the most necessary factor will be working in honest excellent faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged around things just like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game.

8. car motion sensor alarm September 15, 2010 at 11:05 am #

Comfortabl y, the article is really the sweetest on this precious topic. I concur with your conclusions and also will certainly eagerly look forward to your upcoming updates. Just saying thanks can not just be sufficient, for the phenomenal clarity in your writing. I will directly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any kind of updates. Pleasant work and much success in your business endeavors!

1. Graco Baby - October 12, 2009

[...] Travel More infos are available here: Learn more about the type of backpack Backpacking Travel Graco Heart to Heart Blog From Bump to Bundle I found some cool stuff here: Graco Heart to Heart Blog From Bump to Bundle [...]