Five Ways to Announce Your Baby’s Gender

borgIs it a BOY? Or a GIRL? It might be one of the most anticipated announcements. When my cousin, Rachel, was pregnant for the first time a year ago, we were so excited to find out the baby’s gender. Everyone was making bets, checking the “signs,” (She’s carrying high, right? Is she craving sweets? How about morning sickness?!) When she told us little Kaitlyn was a girl, we were ecstatic! Now that she’s expecting her second, we started that game all over again. We recently found out that Rachel and Dan are having a little boy and they are thrilled!

They found out the baby’s gender together, but if you want to make it a surprise for your friends and family, here are five cute ways to say “It’s a Boy!” or “It’s a Girl!”:

- Order custom fortune cookies with the gender inside. Reveal your good fortune by having everyone over to open them at once (with takeout of course!)

- Put the doctor on the phone with your local bakery to secretly tell them the sex – no one finds out until the cake is cut to show bright blue or pink filling inside

- Have the doctor write the gender on a slip of paper for you and your partner to take home and open together to privately celebrate

- Invite friends and family over and fill the house with blue or pink helium ballons to cheerfully spread the news when guests arrive

- Put together a mix of music to play in the background – for a girl, choose songs like “My Girl” and “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun,” for a boy, try “Let’s Hear it for the Boy” or “Bad Boys.” See if people pick up on the hint – if not, share the news at the end of the night!

How did you announce your baby’s gender?

Also check out our post on Top 10 Ways to Announce, “We’re Pregnancy”

15 Responses to “Five Ways to Announce Your Baby’s Gender”

1. Cat October 12, 2009 at 6:09 pm #

Is is terrible that I’m racking my brain to remember?

With Kaydee we announced to our grandparents with a little blue gift bag and green tissue…inside were two pink bibs that said “I love my Grandma” and “I love my Grandpa”.

It was funny seeing their faces looking at the blue and them just assuming we were having a boy. My inlaws looked really disappointed thinking they had another grandson on the way….until the opened the bag of course.

2. Joanna Price October 12, 2009 at 6:30 pm #

That’s cute, Cat! These are all some great ideas.

My husband is in Afghanistan so I had the doc write it down in an envelope (a thick one, otherwise I definitely would have peeked!) so we’d find out together when he called. We’re getting another little boy! I’m bad at secrets though, so I started telling people immediately, no cute story. =)

3. Kelly Voelker October 13, 2009 at 7:22 am #

I LOVE these stories! Too cute.

4. DesignHER Momma October 13, 2009 at 7:25 am #

I love the pink or blue cake idea – brilliant! Wish I would have thought of that!

5. Kelly Kuch October 13, 2009 at 10:59 am #

Great ideas! I’ve also heard, if you live out of town and away from your family, of sending your parents “Baby on Board” pictures in a Grandparents picture frame. More of a fun surprise than just telling them over the phone.

6. Stephanie October 22, 2009 at 12:57 pm #

I love tip #3. I think I’m definitely going to do that for baby #3 (there is no baby #3 yet, by the way…but maybe in another year…). It would be so much more special to celebrate privately rather than to hear the news in that impersonal ultrasound room.

Thanks for the ideas!

7. Jen September 7, 2010 at 5:03 pm #

My mom had bought the baby a Build-a-Bear bear. At the store they had t-shirts that say “It’s a Girl” and “It’s a Boy.” I got a friend to go dress the bear and put it back i9n the box so I could not see (I gave the friend the ultrasound my doctor put in an envelope.) We had family and friends over and opened the box in front of everyone so my hubby and I were surprised too! My mom videotaped it so we could send to out of town family. Everyone thought it was a lot of fun.

8. Sara January 28, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

Jen above is my sister. That party was a lot of fun. I got pregnant 6 months after her. I made eclairs the day before my ultrasound appointment. After my husband and I found out the gender, I went home and made some colored whipped cream to fill the eclairs. We took them to my mom’s house for dessert after dinner that night. It was fun watching people rush through their dinner because they couldn’t wait any longer. We had a countdown so everyone would bite into their blue whipped cream filled eclairs at the same time.

9. Kelly Voelker January 28, 2011 at 9:59 pm #

This is SUCH an adorable idea! I might have to steal that when that day comes someday!

10. Jeannine McCoy September 2, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

I wanted to memorialize the way that we announced the sex of our baby. I put together a short and creative video that we could share on YOUTUBE with our friends and family that documents the day we found out what we were having. You can check it out by searching “Baby McCoy: Boy or Girl” on YouTube or by clicking here: http://youtu.be/V6ITSDu2D_Q

11. CBradbury January 4, 2012 at 10:46 pm #

I’m 20 weeks today and just had my ultrasound. The technician placed the results in an envelope and my husband and I are going to dinner tonight to reveal to one another in a more intimate setting.

We started a gender reveal countdown on our family blog – http://rock-a-byebradbury.blogspot.com/2012/01/baby-boy-or-girl-countdown.html and our office has weighed in on the votes.

We plan to reveal clues tomorrow, the ultrasound pics and video from the dvd we received.

On Friday, we are going to reveal the gender via video. We plan to buy a pack of white t-shirts and write something like the following on the shirts…

1) It’s that time….
    2) Am I a boy or a girl?…
    3) Cars and sports or shoes and tiaras?
    4) Drumroll……………….
    5) I’m a BOY!

6) SYKE! I’m a GIRL!!!

(or something similar depending on the sex of the baby)

I am going to have all 5 shirts on in layers and then continue to pull them up to read the results and in the end reveal the baby’s gender while my husband commentates. Hopefully, if all goes well you can view the reveal on our blog this Friday – http://rock-a-byebradbury.blogspot.com/

Since my mom isn’t that computer savy, I’m planning to send her pink or blue flowers, depending on the sex of the baby. With a card that either says “It’s A Girl! Sugar & Spice Baby Girls Are So Nice” or “We Have Been Blessed With A Boy From Above. A Precious Son For Us To Love” or something similar.

12. Brittany January 23, 2012 at 6:25 pm #

I find out next week what were having but, Me and my boyfriend plan to get a bunch of “its a boy!”(I have a very stronge feeling its a boy) balloons and copy pictures of the ultrasound to tie on each balloon. Then put them on our families door steps to surprise them. I know it sounds like a lot of work driving around town and all but I think it would be a good surprise and a cute way to announce the sex.

13. Ashley February 24, 2012 at 3:05 am #

When I finally found out what I was having (a girl) I immediately went to buy neutral color cards to send to my family. Even though they live nearby I wanted to make it somewhat fun. I put pink confetti in the cards, so when they opened the card they knew!! I didn’t even tell them when my doctors appointment was either, so I wasnt harassed with those phone calls! Lol! So it was a complete surprise to them when they got the card!

14. http://andrewscott556.webgarden.com/ June 27, 2014 at 3:48 pm #

Howdy! I simply want to offer you a huge thumbs up for your excellent
    information you have right here on this post.
    I’ll be coming back to your website for more soon.

Here is my homepage :: like this (http://andrewscott556.webgarden.com/)

1. Graco Heart to Heart Blog - Top 10 Ways To Announce - “We’re Pregnant!” - December 22, 2009

[...] Also check out our post on Five Ways to Announce Your Baby’s Gender [...]