Car Seat Safety Tips – Week 1 Recap

nautilus2We’ve been posting car seat safety tips on Twitter (follow us!) for the past week or so, and thought it might be helpful to capture them here on the blog each week. We know it’s not easy to know all the answers, especially when it comes to the safety of your most precious cargo, so hopefully we can offer some help.

Here are tips from the last week:
- NHTSA recommends that all children 12 & under be buckled up in the back seat

- Manufacturers put expiration dates on car seats. Be sure to check the date to be sure yours hasn’t expired

- Never use BOTH the vehicle seat belt and LATCH to install the car seat. Choose only one installation method and install accordingly

- To install a car seat you must first read the instructions for BOTH the car seat and the vehicle

- For up to date information on booster seat laws in your area, visit www.seatcheck.org

You can also check out several videos from Graco to help you with installation, demos and more, and we have an entire site dedicated to helping you choose a car seat and help answer your questions.

If you have car seat-related questions, feel free to comment here and ask. We’re happy to answer any questions we can about Graco car seats! (and if you’re following us on Twitter, you’ll see 5 more tips next week!)

15 Responses to “Car Seat Safety Tips – Week 1 Recap”

1. BRIDGETTE October 30, 2009 at 7:33 pm #

Where can I order a snugridge car seat replacement cover?

2. Kelly Voelker November 2, 2009 at 4:46 pm #

Hi Bridgette – The easiest way is to fill out at form on Graco’s Contact Us page: http://www.gracobaby.com/ContactUs/pages/ContactUs.aspx?page=ContactUs.

The team should be able to help you from there!

3. Gina Caldwell December 7, 2009 at 7:36 am #

We were given a new seat for our child but it has a very hard to latch, plastic latch (above the base) latching point. We’d like to replace this with a snap-latch like our other graco seat – where can we order this?

4. Car Instructions February 2, 2010 at 11:39 am #

Fixing the problem is easy but understaning it is the problem. As soon as you know what wrong with it i think you are done. Thank you for your post, very informative. Alex

5. Colleen Perkins February 17, 2010 at 7:08 pm #

Where do you find the expiration date on car seats? We have Graco car seats from 2003, 2004 and 2005.
    We are having another baby and are wondering if we can use them.

6. Danielle Smith February 17, 2010 at 11:19 pm #

We’re also looking for the expiration date. We have a Graco car seat and found the manufacture date of December 2004; is this still okay to use?

7. Kelly Voelker February 19, 2010 at 1:14 pm #

Hi Colleen and Danielle — Here’s another post that talks all about this topic. Hope it helps! http://blog.gracobaby.com/2010/02/11/car-seats-have-expiration-dates-too/

8. Joe Bullock March 26, 2010 at 11:53 am #

I was rear ended yesterday on my way to work. Fortunately, my child was not in the car, but her car seat was buckeled in the back. Is my car seat still safe of should it be replaced?

9. Kelly March 26, 2010 at 12:07 pm #

Hi Joe – NHTSA actually has some good guidelines on this. I’d check out this site to see if it applies to your situation. Thanks for getting in touch with us and I hope this helps!

10. Matt April 4, 2010 at 7:09 pm #

Can I use a SafeSeat carrier in a SnugRide base?

11. Erika July 18, 2010 at 10:11 pm #

My baby is only 8 months, but she weight 20 pounds, I want to know if it is safety tu change her to the car seat nautilus, or is to soon for her neck?

12. Heather July 24, 2010 at 6:08 pm #

Can this be a rear facing car seat??? I ont see anywhere on here about that and i need to get a rear facing car seat for my son who is 22lbs and is only 9 mths old……I love this car seat but I need to know if it can be rear facing???? Thanks!!!

13. L July 26, 2010 at 3:16 am #

We just got this awesome car seat/The only think is that our Honda Accord 2000 does not have LATCH system in it.Installation using Harness Seat belt does not give us required tightness of the Car seat/it loose.
    Does anyone knows how to fix it?

14. Kelly July 26, 2010 at 8:22 am #

Heather – Are you talking about the Nautilus pictured above? This seat is forward-facing only. If your son is still only 9 mos and 22 lbs he should still be rear-facing. Thanks for checking!

L – I would recommend looking up your local Safe Kids Coalition and asking them for help with installation to get the best fit. You can find a local office here: http://safekids.org/

15. Stephanie August 7, 2010 at 2:41 pm #

Hi, just wanted to add some advice for car seat safety. I have a Graco Nautilus and love it and have found with both it and my other car seat that to get it very snug, and I mean it does not budge, sit in the car seat and put all your weight into it while tightening the strap. Also, make sure to put the chest clip on their chest and make straps snug. Make your babies as safe as you can, a car seat will only do you good if it is installed and used properly!