Teaching My Kids to Give Back – Graco Get One Give One #10

This post is written by Ellen Gray, product coordinator for Graco. Thanks, Ellen!

“Build a strong foundation and the building can withstand any storm.”

“It’s the little things in life we do that matter the most.”

Help These are two common phrases in our household. They are also what Jim and I use as core principals to raising John, (age 9) and Katie (age 7). Our goal was to make “giving” a part of their everyday lives. In a world of plenty, many children (and adults, too) can easily become self-absorbed and unaware of the fact that life is not necessarily like that for everyone.

We have always tried to teach them it doesn’t have to take a lot of money or time to say thank you, or to spread kindness to others who may not have what they have.

We started out by baking cookies for people to say thank you. A simple gesture that made people happy. The children were thrilled to see how people reacted to something seemingly so small. They wanted to give cookies to everyone – everyday!!!

As they got older, I started to include them in some of the holiday activities my husband and I participate in, like donating food and gifts. This year, their school did a food drive – so off we went to buy food. Each of the kids made their selections and I purchased extras for our Church food pantry.

Imagine my surprise when I checked our pantry to pack the food for our Church pantry and all the food was gone! They had decided, on their own, that the collection boxes at school weren’t full enough and they wanted to make sure there was enough food for everyone!!

Having said all that, it didn’t really hit them until we recently volunteered at a food pantry. As much as they have always given – neither was prepared. Katie just couldn’t comprehend that someone couldn’t afford a box of Mac-n-Cheese. John couldn’t imagine that everyone didn’t have Toilet Paper (“Doesn’t every bathroom have TP!?!” he asked).

We thought we lived a life of “giving back”, but we had never put a face to it. When they saw the people starting line up they were shocked at the amount of families waiting and to see how many children stood in line.

As we continue the journey of raising our two little ones we are always in search of new ideas – new ways to incorporate giving and thinking of others in our lives.

Here are some other ideas on ways to give back with your kids:

- Ask your kids to set aside a certain amount of their allowance and let them choose an organization to donate the money to. Explain to them how the money will help someone else.

- Let your kids participate in “Random Acts of Kindness” like leaving quarters in gum ball machines, paying for a hot cocoa for the person behing you in line, or just giving a hug.

- Lead by example: Pick up litter, hold the door open for someone, or offer to help someone who looks lost.

- Bring your child along to spend time with someone who might be lonely this holiday season. Explain to them why their company is important to that person.

- Check out www.volunteermatch.org – this Web site allows you to do an advanced search based on your interests and location, and you can also find opportunities that are good for kids and teens.

We hope one day they will pass it along to their children – it doesn’t take a lot to give a lot!

How do you teach your kids how to give back?

NasalClear Battery Operated Nasal AspiratorToday’s Graco Get One Give One is a set of Nursery and Care items to help keep your baby clean and healthy! The gift includes LiteUps™ Clippers and Tweezers to help you see her tiny nails or splinters more closely, a 5-Second Thermometer to check if she has a fever quickly, and a NasalClear® Battery Operating Nasal Aspirator – a safe way to help clear your baby’s blocked nasal passages.

Comment below on who you would donate this product to, and you could win one for you and for them! For more info on the Graco Get One Give One program, click here!

Today’s contest ends at 4 PM – check back daily for additional chances to win and donate.

**COMMENTS ARE NOW CLOSED. PLEASE RETURN TO THE BLOG TOMORROW TO ENTER IN THE REMAINING 2 DAYS OF GET ONE, GIVE ONE! ALL COMMENTS CLOSE AT 4PM EST DAILY**

**UPDATE: Congratulations to JORDAN BARRAZA – You’re our winner!! We will e-mail you to get your address and send you your prize! Thanks for playing everyone – Check back tomorrow to see what our next GOGO product is going to be!**

25 Responses to “Teaching My Kids to Give Back – Graco Get One Give One #10”

1. Sara December 22, 2009 at 12:40 pm #

I would donate it to my friend, Paula. She is a new mom and very good at what she does! She became a stay at home mom, and they don’t make enough for the “extras” … I would love to be able to “here you go!”

2. Angela December 22, 2009 at 12:43 pm #

The local hospital has a program that gives baby items (diapers, blankets, etc) to new mothers that can’t purchase these items themselves. I would give the items to that program.

3. Anne December 22, 2009 at 12:44 pm #

I would donate this to my friend who is overdue a week. She has a much older child and donated (just last year) all of her baby stuff. Now, they are struggling to get everything again. And I could use this myself. My son is starting to catch everything from daycare and REALLY hates when I clean out his nose. It would be nice to have a way to check his temp quickly and clean out his nose more effectively.

4. Kelly Voelker December 22, 2009 at 12:46 pm #

Katie, Mindy and Tiffany – We had some technical difficulties and your comments got deleted – but don’t worry, they still count!!

Here they are:

- Katie: What great ideas! I would gift it to my friend, Tara, who is due the same day as I am!

- Mindy: I’m teaching my daughter the importance of giving back early. She’s only 7 months old and we made Christmas cards for a nursing home. I painted the bottom of her foot and made footprint faces. We did brown footprints for reindeer. (Her heel was the nose) And did Santa ones that were half peach and half white. (The pad of her foot and her toes were Santa’s beard) We had a lot of fun making them and she giggled when the paint brush tickled her foot. I plan on keeping this tradition up with her every year so she can learn the importance of giving back!

If I won I would give the products to a very close friend whose husband is deployed with mine so that she could give them to her daughter that is living with her. Her daughter had her baby when she was only 25 weeks pregnant. They should be able to bring him home very soon since he just got up to 5 lbs and is doing better everyday! I’m sure these products would come in handy once they finally get him home!!!

- Tiffany: I have a friend who just had a baby the other day, and her husband is in Afghanistan. We’ve been passing along all the baby stuff we can, so these would go to her as well. And for me? I’ve been curious about the battery-powered nasal aspirators ever since I first saw them. Anything that can possibly make baby colds easier to deal with I like

5. Vanessa December 22, 2009 at 12:48 pm #

Great ideas to instill in my children. Thanks for sharing. I would give the extra set to my friend who is due in February with baby #2.

6. Amanda December 22, 2009 at 12:49 pm #

These are such essential items to have. I’m pregnant with my fourth child. I could really use these. I would give the other ones to my best friend who is due a few months before me. Times are hard for us, this would be one less thing to worry about buying!

7. desi liddell December 22, 2009 at 1:01 pm #

i would give one to my friend who stays home and home schooles her olde sone because she cant afored to send the other one to daycair if she worked and to my cousin who has just had his fourth kid and him and his wife just got layed off and they could use all the help they can get.

8. Jennifer Penick December 22, 2009 at 1:01 pm #

We are always trying to teach the kids to give back. This year we went to Build a bear and got a bear for Toys for Tots. The boys (5 and 6) are very good about holding the door open for people, especially women, and are thankfully more polite in public than they are at home! lol

My donated package would go to my BIL and his wife who are expecting their first baby (a girl) via adoption in Feb!

9. Marina December 22, 2009 at 1:02 pm #

I would love to have one for myself – my baby is always sick and the aspirator will help a lot. I would give the other set to my sister in law who adapted a baby boy.

10. Jamie December 22, 2009 at 1:07 pm #

I would love to give this to a friend of mine who is about to become a new mom for the first time!

11. Shannon December 22, 2009 at 1:11 pm #

I would donate this to Texas Children’s Hospital for children in the NICU’s parents.

12. Nicole December 22, 2009 at 1:11 pm #

I would give one to my friend who is expecting her first child knowing that having these tools would ease her mind a bit if her baby gets sick.

13. Gretchen December 22, 2009 at 1:12 pm #

I would give these to my girl friend who is due on Friday! :) I absolutely love mine!!!! They make it so easy to cut their nails while they are sleeping!!!! I would give the get one to another friend of mine who is expecting her first baby in April!!! :)

14. Kathleen December 22, 2009 at 1:24 pm #

What great ideas for teaching children about giving back. My toddler is a bit young, but I hope to develop a sense of charity in him from the start, by modeling generosity in all forms.

That said, I’d love to include this set with the large gift basket my employer/employees give to a family in need every year. They tend to be ones with children, so this would be great for that family to use.

15. Megan December 22, 2009 at 1:40 pm #

I would give a set to a local women’s shelter and the other set to a local crisis pregnancy center.

I hope that I can instil a sense of giving to others in my little ones. They are under 2 and really don’t understand the concept yet but I hope that it becomes second nature to them.

16. Jordan Barraza December 22, 2009 at 1:51 pm #

I’d love one for my nephew whos 9 months old now and isnt in day care but keeps getting hit all of a sudden with everything out there. Hes had swin and everything under the son that is bad for babies to get back to back. So we’d really love to get one of these to make him feel a little bit better with temp time he just crys when we take his temp. And then I’d give one to My other sister in law whos exspecting her first little one next year. And she would love thins she is workign 2 jobs to make ends meet now and my brothers pulling extra hours as well and going part time to college to get his diploma so he can get a better job and join the Navy. Both familys would be so greatful since they both stuggle day to day.

17. Marie December 22, 2009 at 2:18 pm #

I would give one to my son’s family. He has two babies in daycare and they seem to be sick all the time!

18. Gayle December 22, 2009 at 2:25 pm #

I would like to share this awesome gift set with my Mom she’ll be a New Grandma in April!!! Just knowing that she has the right stuff at her house to keep my baby healthy when she visits is a huge relief!

19. Laura DeLuca December 22, 2009 at 2:37 pm #

This type of thing is great to have. I’d like one to my new baby and the other I would like to donate to my local church

20. Renee December 22, 2009 at 2:43 pm #

I would like to give the set to my mother-in-law. She often babysits her three little grandchildren and she would love to have a set like that. I would love to use one myself. My kids hate nail cutting with a passion. How awesome would it be to cut their nails in their sleep.

21. Karen December 22, 2009 at 3:53 pm #

I would give both of these kits to my daughters who have infants. I know neither of them have the nasal aspirators.

22. Delora December 22, 2009 at 4:04 pm #

I’ve never found an aspirator that works before; would love to win this. I’d give the second set to my friend, Thien Kim.

23. ana December 22, 2009 at 4:09 pm #

i would love this ,and i would donate the other to my friend who is truly struggling at this time!

24. yurisa December 22, 2009 at 4:11 pm #

this is great i could use this! i would donate the other to a famil in need in a local NICU.

25. LUIS December 22, 2009 at 4:12 pm #

my child is in need of something like this i would dontate the second to my sister in law with twins!!