**SAFETY NOTICE FOR SELECT DESIGNS OF GRACO PASSAGE, SPREE AND ALANO STROLLERS – JANUARY 20, 2010**

**We have updated the images below to show additional hinge designs manufactured by Graco. Only strollers matching the top left photo are affected by this notice**

At Graco, we are committed to child safety and to providing the safest products possible for parents and caregivers. As another way to get the word out, we occasionally use the blog to share information on safety notices and updates.

Today we are announcing a voluntary recall for select Passage™, Alano™, and Spree™ model strollers manufactured by Graco prior to March 2008. This notice is meant to inform consumers of a potential risk of injury to small children caused by the canopy hinge on these models.

Graco has produced two (2) different styles of the canopy hinge for these stroller model numbers (in the top two photos below). Graco has also produced similar-looking hinge designs on other stroller models. Strollers or travel systems with the canopy hinge shown in the top left photo are the only strollers involved in this notice. All other hinge styles are NOT affected by this announcement. You can check to see if your model is affected here.

Strollers with the canopy hinge design shown in the top left photo above are the ONLY models affected.

If your stroller is affected by this safety notice, there is no need to return your product. Graco will provide a canopy hinge cover free of charge upon request.

In the meantime, we’re advising consumers to stop using their strollers, and to contact Graco to order a protective cover for the hinge.

To order a canopy hinge cover immediately, you may fill out an online order form here or call our consumer service line at 800-345-4109. Please allow roughly 7-10 business days for delivery. To find your stroller’s model number and manufacturing date , it can be found on a sticker located on the lower, inside portion of the rear frame, above the rear wheels. If you have a serial number instead of a date, the serial number can help you identify the date:

In an effort to further assist our customers, additional information, video demonstrations and instructions specific to this issue can also be found here:

Frequently Asked Questions
www.twitter.com/gracobaby
Graco Recall and Safety Notifications Page
• Video Instructions on YouTube

If you have determined your stroller is affected, contact us to receive a protective hinge cover. Once you have received the cover, here are step-by-step instructions on how to apply the protective hinge covers to your stroller.

Step 1: Identify that you have the stroller model with the canopy hinge that is shown.

Step 2: Unsnap the protective cover and undo the hook and loop tape in order to place it around the canopy bar. Note the orientation of the snap for correct placement over the canopy hinge.

Step 3: Wrap snap end of cover around canopy bar as shown and fasten snap together.

Step 4: Close the canopy by pushing it toward the stroller handle. Facing the front of the stroller, slide the protective cover down the canopy bar so that the bottom portion of the protective cover is positioned as shown. MAKE SURE that the hook and loop tape of the protective cover are directly around the canopy hinge.

Step 5: Tightly wrap the protective cover around the canopy hinge and fasten the hook and loop tape by pressing firmly along entire length of it.

Step 6: Rotate and position the protective cover as shown making sure that the hook and loop tape and snap are inaccessible to the child. Verify that the canopy hinge is completely covered by checking that the snap and hook and loop tape are not visible.

Step 7: Repeat same process on opposite side of the stroller on the other canopy hinge. DO NOT REMOVE the protective covers once they have been installed.

Please see below for a video demonstration on how to apply the protective hinge covers to your stroller:

Have additional questions? Feel free to contact us in any of the following ways:
• U.S. consumer service line: 1-800-345-4109
• Canada consumer service line: 1-800-667-8184
Order form for protective covers
International contact information
Graco Web site
Graco “Contact Us” Page
Twitter
Video Instructions on YouTube

117 Responses to “Safety Announcement for Select Graco Passage, Alano and Spree Stroller Models – January 20, 2010”

1. Ashley February 6, 2010 at 4:21 am #

I don’t want this stupid hinge protector. It wont allow the canopy to go down all the way what a joke! i paid 180$ for this stupid stroller and travel system!!! If i don’t want to waist my time waiting and not being able to use my stroller for the next i dunno probably 3 weeks for the hinge cover to come can i just bring it back to the store and get a store credit and buy a new stroller??? my friend brought hers back to target and she was credited the money towards the store to buy another stroller? can i do this?

2. Amy February 6, 2010 at 8:37 pm #

I am extremely disappointed in the “fix” Graco has supplied. I have a dark blue stroller and there is no cover to match. I am expect to use a sage green cover. Really, I spent good money for this stroller. I would expect a quality fix in return. We are in the process of looking into a replacement stroller. I was going to purchase the Graco Mosiac but doubt I will after seeing the quality put into the replacement part.

3. Heather Hawkins February 8, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

I have a stroller for my 3 year old son and it has the snaps on the back and side of the stroller witch causes the stroller not to work at times an di wanted to know if the stroller was on the recall list, i don’t have ther exact name and model of it off hand but i just wanted to know if that paticular make of the snaps and velcrow was on recall, PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!

4. Anna Walker February 9, 2010 at 8:16 pm #

Three of us just went in on a graco winnie the pooh infant car seat for my best friends daughter,I would like to know if this car seat is on the recall list I have always stood by graco’s products they are made well but my chhildren are also grown up now so yes i am concerned,i would like to know if this is on a recall as soon as possible

5. Kelly Voelker February 10, 2010 at 3:35 pm #

Hi Anna – This site is probably the fastest way to find out if the stroller is affected. Please let me know if you have any trouble! http://pages02.net/newellrubbermaid/gracobaby/canopy1

6. Kelly Voelker February 10, 2010 at 3:36 pm #

Hi Heather, I’m not sure exactly which stroller you are referring to. Is there any more info you can share? The only ones affected by this recall match the top left photo in the images above in this post.

7. Kelly Voelker February 10, 2010 at 3:41 pm #

Tammy – We definitely should not be out of stock of the covers. Please let me know if you continue to see that message and I will also check on this. Thanks for getting in touch with us.

8. Ashley February 14, 2010 at 2:11 am #

I contacted the actual graco company and complained and there now sending me paperwork to return my “device” as they called it for a refund. i suggest you all do the same!!!all they needed from me was my serial number and model number.

9. jessica February 16, 2010 at 12:53 am #

hello i have one of those travel strollers wath do i need to do i take it back to target will i get a refund back or what

10. Jay February 19, 2010 at 8:04 pm #

Hey – I commented earlier. I just brought mine back to Baby’s R us for a “Trade in” Got credit off…Now it’s their problem. Gotta JEEP!

11. Sid February 26, 2010 at 11:32 am #

I am disappointed in GRACO! I bought the travel system, high chair, swing, and play pen all at one time. I paid 180 dollors for the travel system. My son got the end of his finger piched it bruised it for about 2 weeks. Its fine it did not amputate it so i guess we’re lucky. I called the 1800 # and was told if I send it back they will replace the device with another stroller. I would rather not have another GRACO device. I would rather have a refund so I can go to the store and buy another brand of stroller. I have a 1 and 2 year old not having a stroller is like not having a car seat. I can not go anywhere including for walk down the street. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED!!!!!! I have a sister and a friend prego already told them not to buy graco. Thier baby showers are next month I wrote on the invites don’t buy any graco products. I know they don’t want to loose money on a 2 year old device but they should stand behind thier products. You usually buy a stroller for the first 2-5 years so those strollers are out there. I hope for thier sakes no other children get injured. Lord knows how many other parents don’t know about the recall. I’ll be praying for the children of GRACO PRODUCTS AROUND THE WORLD!!!

12. LAURA February 28, 2010 at 8:20 pm #

Hi, I have two strollers that were affected by the recall. Luckily we had no accidents with my daughter, but my finger had two accidents when skin was sliced off and I was bleeding. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong because the shade seemed impossible at times. Im glad Graco is finally coming forward with a fix, even if it is not optimal.

Unfortunately, only one stroller was I able to find a cover to ‘somewhat’ match (but it’s the pink stroller and we just had a boy a few weeks ago–go figure!)

The other stroller has NO options that match! The stroller in question is model 7F02GLM3, a tan with black and cranberry plaid. The instructions show a tan cover, and yet the order site doesn’t! I am not pleased about the ugly ‘fix’ but even more so that there is no option for my stroller. If I am unable to find a decent cover for my second set I would definitely like a replacement or refund! This is unacceptable!

13. Jamie Shreeves March 11, 2010 at 7:37 am #

I would like to say that after speaking with the Graco customer service they have definitely stood behind their name and their product. Grace does an excellent job in backing up their products and they do build among the safest products in the industry. I would buy from Graco again in a heartbeat without question. Thank you for being such a great corporate citizen and if more companies were like Graco the economy probably wouldn’t be in as bad a shape as it is today.

Keep up the great work Graco!

Jamie Shreeves

14. Janel March 20, 2010 at 3:33 pm #

I recently added a Graco Spree Travel System, Days of Hunny stroller to my registry and then when I went back to the store it was gone. I haven’t been able to find it anywhere. I have the UPC# (4740610528), that is on my registry, but I don’t have a model number. How can I find out if it was one of the strollers in the latest recall? And if so, will they be fixed and put back on the market?

15. Sintia March 22, 2010 at 8:11 pm #

I live in Brazil. What number do I call to order the free protective cover repair kit?

16. Rosalie March 30, 2010 at 8:59 pm #

I bought a travel system in 2006 for my son. I know that was 3 almost 4 years ago but still. Last year Simplicity had a recall on a crib and they gave me a store credit even though the crib was 3 years old. I don’t see why Graco can’t give refunds. I still used this stroller until today. I babysit a 2 year old little girl and use this stroller with her everyday but not now. I just seen the recall and I am glad I did. I am very disappointed in Graco. Everything I have for my 6 month old is Graco. I want a refund to buy a better product, not something that is in bad shape to have a recall.

17. Rosalie March 30, 2010 at 9:52 pm #

So I got to check all the codes on the products I have and I have 2 strollers that are on the recall list and my sons high chair. He just started using it like a couple of weeks ago and they say something about the back legs coming out and the child falling. I so want a refund. I may still use Graco products for my youngest child but if I don’t get a refund, Graco can kiss my business goodbye. Im calling them tomorrow to see what I can do. This is outrageous.

18. Rosalie March 31, 2010 at 8:35 am #

I just got off the phone with Graco and they said they will send me an authorization to return the strollers. They won’t give a refund but they will send me a new stroller. Its gonna cost me that much to mail the stroller back to them. I could go buy a new one for what I am going to be paying to mail it back. Why can’t they just give a refund or at least a partial refund since it is an older model (2004, 2005). They are still good strollers and still worth something but if you can’t use the canopy, they are useless. If I do mail them back, the only thing I will do is sale the new one I get. Im still disappointed in Graco.

19. Meghan April 10, 2010 at 4:21 pm #

I’ve just today tried to install my free hinge covers, and am extremely disappointed. I came to this site to see if others had reported the same problem I’ve had. Appearance isn’t much of an issue to me–I was able to get covers to match, and my almost-five-year-old stroller has had worse insults to its appearance, believe me. However, I am incredibly annoyed that the “fix” makes the canopy VIRTUALLY UNUSABLE. I removed and reinstalled the covers four or five times, played with moving the canopy around to stretch the covers, etc. The canopy simply WILL NOT stay fully open with the covers on! My youngest (six months old) is about to outgrow the matching car seat, but I need to use this stroller for at least another three years, and as a stay-at-home mom, don’t have the money to waste on another “good” stroller, when this one is less than five years old! If I can’t have a working canopy to protect my fair-skinned baby, I might as well just use my cheap, $11 umbrella stroller as my regular stroller–NOT AN ACCEPTABLE OPTION. I consider myself pretty low-maintenance as far as baby products go–I’m just happy if they’re safe and basically functional. My stroller–the one piece of baby equipment that gets used the longest–has now become neither of these. Graco will be getting a call from me on Monday. BTW, I wonder how many adults have injured their fingers while trying to install/remove/reinstall these covers?

20. bulk acrylic picture frames April 13, 2010 at 11:10 am #

Intimately, the post is actually the sweetest on that worthw hile topic. I harmonise with your conclusions and also will eagerly look forward to your incoming updates. Saying thanks will not simply be enough, for the extraordinary clarity in your writing. I will correct away grab your rss feed to stay informed of any kind of updates. Solid work and also much success in your business dealings!

21. D April 14, 2010 at 10:54 am #

I sent my information in January 10, 2010 and STILL haven’t gotten the repair kit. I’ve moved, but my mail has been forwarded. What is going on Graco? My son is five months old now and I’d really like to use the stroller before he outgrows it!

22. Kelly Voelker April 15, 2010 at 8:36 am #

Hi D – I’d call our main customer service line at 800-345-4109 to check on this. It definitely should have arrived by now. I hope this helps and thanks for getting in touch.

23. D April 15, 2010 at 7:34 pm #

Thank you, Kelly!

24. Doug April 19, 2010 at 12:38 pm #

Every time I try selecting the repair kit, the shopping cart comes up empty? I’ve tried with every color available, but nothing ends up in the cart.

25. Lori April 29, 2010 at 8:52 am #

We were very disappointed when we received our hinge covers yesterday and the grey does not match the grey on my stroller. Also, the canopy was unusable. I was, however, very happy when I spoke to the customer service rep. She was very helpful and I will have a mailing label sent out to send my affected stroller back and will have a replacement w/in 2 weeks. After having more than a few items recalled since my daughter was born in 2007 (bottles, crib, etc.) I have to say that Graco was by far the easiest and most pleasant company to deal with – especially with daughter #2 due in a matter of weeks. Thank you Graco!

26. Kelly Voelker April 29, 2010 at 8:54 am #

Hi Lori, I’m so glad to hear it. Thanks for your comment – we really appreciate it!

27. D May 9, 2010 at 1:31 pm #

I *finally* received the hinge covers and now the canopy doesn’t work with them installed. I’m calling customer service to see if they can be of any help.

28. Danielle May 10, 2010 at 10:31 pm #

I have the 7G01CRL3 is it one of the recall?

29. Doug May 21, 2010 at 10:08 am #

Seems like the shopping cart’s working now. Thanks Kelly.

30. adelia June 12, 2010 at 2:15 pm #

gostaria de saber onde adquiro os produtos aqui no brasil
    tem algum representante? ou pelo site?
    aguardo retorno,
    obs. minha filha esta gravida e gostaria de adquirir o carrinho, o bebe
    é para setembro

31. Angela July 5, 2010 at 2:13 pm #

Im looking for a parasol for my stroller which is Graco but cant find anywhere on here, can anyone help as i need one as the one i had has broken and i live in Gran Canaria in the hot hot sun and need protection for my baby while out and about…..

32. Susan August 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm #

I, too, couldn’t get the repair kit/hinge covers to work properly (i.e., the canopy no longer stays open). Customer service sent me a letter saying I could return my stroller for a replacement, but when I discovered it would cost me at least $162 to ship (UPS), I wrote again and this time they said just send the fabric and wheels. Much better. And then I had to write again, because getting those wheels off is beyond me! Aaaagh. They’re trying, but not too competently, over at Graco.

33. Jennifer September 11, 2010 at 12:50 am #

I ordered the covers & received them promptly after getting a letter in the mail about the recall. However, the covers do not allow the canopy to stay open completely, leaving my daughter in the sun. I have checked the installation and they were installed correctly. I see others are having the same problem that I am having. Who should I contact to take care of this matter?

34. cloth diapers bum genius October 14, 2010 at 4:55 pm #

im a great fan of your website! i read your articles daily and you have some very interesting topics!

35. Porfirio Woodby October 16, 2010 at 11:27 pm #

Be glad of life simply because it gives you the chance to adore, to deliver the results, to play, and to seem up at the stars.

36. Christina Hibbert October 22, 2010 at 9:20 am #

I am also very uncomfortable with ordering a “repair kit” to fix this issue. I purchased the Graco Metrolite stroller when my oldest son was born and had a scare with him. When my youngest was born, I was very concerned about using the stroller but when faced with purchasing a new one for $170+, I decided to try it again but to be very watchful. Now that I’ve seen this recall, I have no intention of using it for my new baby. The repair kits are unacceptable in my eyes and they don’t match my stroller. I want a refund so I can buy a stroller that I feel comfortable placing my baby in. And…I do not intend to spend as much to ship it back as it would cost to just buy a new one. I expect Graco to make this right.

37. Shrewsbury Dentist December 4, 2010 at 10:31 am #

Wow I just stumbled across your blog via Yahoo, and I must say, this stuff is great.

38. Las Arenas Hotel December 14, 2010 at 12:28 pm #

Thanks for the update, I have a spree model, thanks

39. nanaimo escorts February 25, 2011 at 12:34 am #

I very pleased to find this website on bing, just what I was looking for : D too saved to fav.

40. Traveling with Babies October 22, 2011 at 9:15 am #

Hey there, You have performed an incredible job. I’ll certainly digg it and in my view suggest to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this website.

41. Baby Video Monitor With Camera November 4, 2011 at 11:54 pm #

It?s really a great and helpful piece of info. I?m glad that you just shared this useful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

42. polishing pads for November 22, 2011 at 7:14 am #

Thanks for some other informative website. The place else may just I am getting that kind of info written in such an ideal manner? I have a project that I’m simply now operating on, and I’ve been on the glance out for such information.

43. peter gerard scully November 23, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

I have been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours today, but I by no means discovered any interesting article like yours. It’s beautiful price enough for me. Personally, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content material as you did, the web will likely be much more helpful than ever before.

44. cure for insomnia December 17, 2011 at 8:17 am #

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my website thus i came to ¡§return the favor¡¨.I am attempting to find things to enhance my website!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

45. online rent December 19, 2011 at 10:36 pm #

That is very attention-grabbing, You’re an overly professional blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to searching for extra of your magnificent post. Additionally, I’ve shared your website in my social networks

46. credit repair business December 20, 2011 at 12:34 am #

Thank you, I have just been searching for info approximately this subject for a long time and yours is the greatest I have came upon till now. But, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you certain concerning the source?|What i do not understood is actually how you’re not actually much more well-favored than you may be now. You are so intelligent.

47. Chante April 24, 2013 at 6:10 am #

Both drugs have also been denied FDA approval the first time
    around and are awaiting news on their second attempt.

In fact, I always suggest to those overweight vegetarians to keep to a max of 4 pounds
    a week so you won’t suffer loose skin post weight loss. Expect to lose all that extra flabbiness as you melt off all your unwanted fat.

48. http://www.electronichouse.com/ April 25, 2013 at 6:52 am #

With Apple Motion, you work by developing text and graphical items in a modified two dimensional space.
    While some games may protect children from the undesirable elements at the arcades, the effect
    is largely the same. This application is difficult and requires and incredible amount of power from your Mac, but some experience will help you out quite a bit.

49. Sidney May 7, 2013 at 3:57 am #

It really is developed in this type of way that it makes the driver comfortable and in charge as
    if they are driving an actual car. Car kits are Utilized by the users in their Auto mobiles to Find
    the way through directions and keep on connected with the
    Cell phone continuously. Building a better Naga – I’ve always really liked Razer’s Naga
    (and I’ve used nearly all of them at some point), but I have to say that the G600 is hands-down my pick.

50. kostenlos spielen May 12, 2013 at 5:12 am #

Upon examining some etymological dictionaries, one can conclude that games are
    a creative expression of the human spirit through the creation of an activity that has an entertaining, instructive and competing element.
    Port forwarding lets you specify which ports the
    game needs to perform at it’s best. People are now looking to be able to connect to things like their vehicles through their smart phones, and now Buick has announced the release of their new e – Assist Fuel Effeciency smartphone games.