An Inside Look at Fashion at Graco

**Thanks to Jessica DiGirolamo, Channel Manager at Graco for this post!

Anyone who knows me will tell you that it is no secret how much I love all things fashion related… and I am certainly not ashamed to admit it! There is something so great about the search for the perfect item to reflect and highlight your personality. The same thing can be said about finding the best pattern or print for baby gear that reflects you and your little one.

Ever wonder how Graco stays ahead of the trends and helps you nest and connect in style? Our very own fashion designer, Deanna Wagner tells all below!

When did you know you wanted to work in fashion?
Actually, my degree is a BFA in Art & Design, so I hadn’t thought much about working in the fashion industry. But I knew I wanted to do something creative and sustainable, as well as rewarding in my career. Working in fashion has filled both of those desires!

How long have you been working in fashion?
I have been working in fashion for 6 years now and I really enjoy it – more than I realized I would. In this position here at Graco, it is fantastic to see my designs being used in every day life and knowing that my art is a part of a great product.

What inspires you?
Of course shopping the retail stores, looking at fabrics and following trends inspire me, but also (probably because of my art background) I get a lot of inspiration from every day life. Sometimes it can be an ad in a magazine, other times it is a neat architectural building and quite often it’s a person’s fashion I see on the street.

What is your favorite Graco fashion?
This is a hard question to answer! We have had so many fantastic fashions over the years! I am not sure I can pick just one, so I will give you a couple. I love Pagoda which is a fashion we have at Target. I also am really fond of Deco, which has been in BRU for some time now, and Zarafa which can be found in our Specialty line.

What is your favorite trend going into 2011?
Well anyone that knows me can tell you that I am a big fan of GREEN! It is by far my favorite color (even though I love all colors) and I am excited at the depth of shades that are on trend for 2010 & into 2011. Paired back with Black & White it looks fantastic and you will be definitely seeing this look in our new lines.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “An Inside Look at Fashion at Graco”

1. Bree March 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm #

I hope the Nautilus will get some fun patterns and colors. A green Nautilus would be great!

2. Val March 9, 2010 at 2:18 pm #

here, here! Let’s see some fun prints on the Nautilus. We’ve had enough gray on gray with gray trim. The chocolate brown ones aren’t any better (brown on a gray base? ick!).

3. Roe March 9, 2010 at 4:10 pm #

This is AWESOME Deanna! One of our own is famous at Graco! Great interview my friend! :)

4. Kathleen March 9, 2010 at 7:31 pm #

I like that Graco has been incorporating some really cool designs in their products over the last few years.

I’m also quite fond of green this season too.

5. Heather March 10, 2010 at 4:12 pm #

My nephews would love some cars or airplanes, or something nice and boyish on the Nautilus. There’s enough butterflies and flowers for girls, but nothing great for boys.

6. Jennie March 10, 2010 at 4:16 pm #

Graco has some great patterns, but there need to be more COLORS on the Nautilus! Enough gray and black. What about blue? Green? Red? Deco???? PLEASE. PLEASE liven up the Nautilus. Your customers will thank you.

7. Mindy March 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

Add some green to the Nautilus!! I would love to see it with some fishes or lizards or even cars. It can have fun print too, can’t it?? Boys like fun prints just as much as girls like flowers and butterflies!!

8. Anne March 10, 2010 at 4:58 pm #

Amen. Can we have some non-pink girl patterns too? Dori is close but not quite there. I love the Deco MyRide because when you take the infant insert out there’s still a pattern! Amazing to think that maybe big kids (and big rear-facers!) like pretty seats as much as or more than little tiny babies who fit the inserts. ;)

While we’re at it, can we stop making BACKLESS TurboBoosters with patterns aimed at 3 year olds? Please? Some of the solid color ones are very nice for the older kids who SHOULD be using backless boosters but Dora the Explorer makes me wince.

9. Alisha March 10, 2010 at 5:50 pm #

Another vote to liven up the Nautilus. Grey, grey, grey, grey and pink. Ugh. I love Graco products, and for the most part the patterns/colors on them. But there has got to be a way to make funner seats for the little boys. My youngest is rearfacing in a Deco Myride65 right now, but when he outgrows it I don’t know if I will stick with Graco for his next seat if there isn’t a fun boy pattern available.

10. Stephanie March 10, 2010 at 7:38 pm #

I am in love with all the new Graco seats that are now coming out and frequently recommend them, but I find it hard to get parents to want to purchase the seats with the horrible color choices available when compared to other brands. Parents tend to pick colors over longevity of a seat and even safety sometimes. There are no real boyish patterns and the girly patterns are all very pink.

Some suggestions: Purple, butterflies, your airplane turbo colors on your nautilus or even the myride, green, something that doesn’t contain nasty graco grey, animal prints so they are uni-sex, even a simple red/green/blue pattern that is more boy-ish.

My kids over age 3 who aren’t girly girls or who are boys flat out hate the graco seats and want their other brand seats because they have prettier colors!

11. Katie March 11, 2010 at 12:33 am #

Another vote here for different colors on the Nautilus. Green, red, orange, dark purple, fun patterns, all of those would be great.

12. Laurie March 11, 2010 at 10:40 am #

I would love to see a cool boy pattern on the Nautilus! Anything that make the seat more attractive to the big boys.

13. Maddie March 11, 2010 at 10:44 am #

Another vote for some of these adorable patterns to go on the Nautilus!!! PLEASE!! We have a brown Nautilus cover, but it looks so bad on the grey plastic.

14. Sarah March 11, 2010 at 10:58 am #

Yet another vote for more color on the Nautilus! And some fun boy prints would be awesome as well. Airplanes, camo, cars, trucks, etc. Little boys like fun stuff too =)

15. Coleen March 11, 2010 at 11:40 am #

Those of us who are CPSTs are recommending the heck out of your Graco Nautilus, but we’re tired of hearing ‘But it doesn’t come in a fun color!’. PLEASE help us, and your sales of the GREAT Nautilus seat, by putting some boy fashions on it that are NOT ‘Graco Grey’! Lizards in line is fantastic, as is Let’s Go, but they’re on your boosters, which are for OLDER children. The younger kiddos we want to get into Nautiluses are 3,4,5 year old boys. They want camo, planes, lizards or dragons, superheroes! Please!!

16. April March 11, 2010 at 11:58 am #

I think the Rittenhouse line was my favorite ever. Loved that cover on a SafeSeat! We have owned three Nautilus’ and three Turbo boosters, and I have to agree, I would love to have some fun boy cover options on the Nautilus. You’ve done great on the turbo, I love Lizards in Line and Let’s Go, but my boy’s are stuck in their boring grey Nautilus’ while my daughter has a pretty Mariposa one. PLEASE Graco, no more grey!

17. Danyal March 11, 2010 at 12:35 pm #

I 3rd the request to stop putting patterns on the backless boosters for preschools, put them on the Nautilus/my ride where that age group should be riding!! Go Lizards in Line!

18. Christina March 11, 2010 at 12:51 pm #

I would like to suggest a Superman, Batman or Star Trek Nautilus! And I want to agree with another comment about the backless booster designs. The backless should be black, tan, grey etc. to match vehicle seats because backless boosters are for older children.

19. Krista March 11, 2010 at 5:26 pm #

I have to agree with the others about the Nautilus. It is a GREAT seat that my son & I both LOVE. However it needs some cute BOY patterns. He would absolutly LOVE a seat with Airplanes, Cars, Puppy Dogs, Paw Prints, Lizards, Robots, Racing Stripes, just pretty much anything that screamed BOY on it. I also agree that the backless boosters need to be in solid colors, not toddler prints. Kids that like Dora, Cars & other things like that are like 2-3 year olds & all of those in that age group should be harnessed. So move then cute prints to the Nautilus. Please make some cute boy prints. The girls have flowers, butterflys & pink, but boys get nothing.

20. Joya March 11, 2010 at 6:00 pm #

Please add some orange or red to the Nautilus! I would love to see it with some Airplanes or Lizards or Robots. Even a Cars Nautilus would be great. Just something for the boys! My 6y/o has been begging for a fun cover since we got the seat two years ago.

21. Jessi March 11, 2010 at 6:23 pm #

Another request for some cute, fun boy options, especially for the Nautilus. ***cough*** Lightning McQueen, Mater ***cough***

22. holly March 11, 2010 at 9:30 pm #

I’d love to see some “boy” covers for the MyRide. Blue and grey do not equal “boy pattern” when there are a half dozen girl patterns with flowers and other designs. Cars, trucks, planes, bugs, dogs… any and all would be cute. The Nautilus could use some livening up as well.

Also, please, PLEASE, stop putting preschool patterns on backless boosters. Your backless Turbobooster is rated from 40 pounds. Most of the kids who would be drawn to thos patterns do not need to ride in a backless booster. They still need to be in a Nautilus or MyRide.

Thanks!

23. Chieko Brisco March 13, 2010 at 12:37 am #

admirable article here at http://blog.gracobaby.com/2010/03/09/an-inside-look-at-fashion-at-graco/ . Thiking to translating your writing into japanese for our visitors. Will let you know after I talk to our writers. Thanks.

24. Kat March 14, 2010 at 4:35 pm #

Graco, when will you learn… we do NOT care about what fashions are “IN”… we want fashions that will please our little wild monkey children during their carseat/gear years.

You do great with the infant seats… you do OKAY with the turboboosters… but with the myride, cargo, and nautilus, you FLUNK OUT…

Our boys want masculine prints, our girls want something other than just pink (not that there aren’t plenty of girls who love pink, like my daughter), and of course we would love to see some fun gender neutral options…

where are the orange, yellow, green, blues, PURPLES, the plaids, the animal prints??

We are glad that you pay attention when we want covers for our girly girls… but come on… you gotta listen when we want the same attention for our boys and our tomboys.

25. Emily March 14, 2010 at 4:42 pm #

I admit I didn’t buy a nautilus for my son because at the time it came in gray, pink, gray, purple, and gray and the interior of my van is tan. By the time the brown one came out he was close to being too tall for the harness and I couldn’t justify buying it.

I also HATE pink and will not buy a pink set for my daughter but still want something girly.

26. Jessica March 14, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

I want to second the the idea of “PLEASE do not put toddler/preschooler prints on BACKLESS boosters. Those boosters should be for MUCH older children, and putting a disney princess on it makes a 25 lb 2 year old WANT It REALLY BADLY, and parents who don’t know better buy them. Backless boosters are for much older kids…..you should be putting the prints that 8 year olds want on those!!! Also, PLEASE make more covers available for sale at a reasonable price. That pink cover is great, but when a little boy comes out 3 years later, we don’t want ot have to rebuy the whole seat, just the cover!

27. Kristen March 14, 2010 at 7:25 pm #

I am also going to chime in and BEG you for more intersting patterns for boys! I was bummed to see how many great girl patterns you had out in your safeseat and snug rides and yet nothing really screamed “boy” to me in those same seats:( Boys like patterns, too! (As do their mothers!)
    Also, I have to agree on the nautilus front. It would be fantastic to see more color choices for boys with this seat. It is a great seat, but I had to get a matrix and a bravo…my boys wanted different seats, and the brown one is HIDEOUS…so they both have gray/silvery seats…what about RED? BLUE? GREEN? And yep, maybe even a cool toddler pattern?
    Thanks!

28. Christy March 14, 2010 at 7:33 pm #

More love for better nautilus covers!! Get some COLOR in there!! And most DEF agree with the backless boosters. They shouldnt be aimed toward toddlers/preschoolers.

29. Pamela March 14, 2010 at 9:30 pm #

I am sick of puke pink, or blah grey/browns for choices for my girls. How about something fun that doesn’t involve pink. And I am a big fan of gender neutral for longevit, but there are plenty of ways to make gender neutral fun too … nice blues, greens, orange, etc. And NO commercialized characters.

30. Molly March 15, 2010 at 10:52 am #

Graco does a great job with cute baby gear!
    I am going to have to agree with the others though….bring on the cute boy covers for the nautilus!!! LOVE the lets go turbo…bring it to the nautilus or something with cars, truck and planes!

31. Kelly Voelker March 24, 2010 at 2:49 pm #

Wow – What an amazing response to this post! Thank you all so much for your feedback and we will be sure to share this info with our Fashion Team here at Graco. Stay tuned for more fashion posts (& info) coming soon!