Raising Daughters

When I first entertained the thought of becoming a mother, I thought ”I hope to have a set of twins – 1boy and 1girl”.  This would get it all done with one pregnancy! … and then we’d go from there.  I thought a nice family would be 2 or 4 children.  DH and I made a pact that he’d name the boys and I’d name the girls.

AND, I thought, if I don’t get that wish and all my children have to be the same gender, I wanted them to be girls.

So, from my lips to sealed in fate…. I was blessed with three lovely daughters.  It all happened so fast. I can’t be certain, because I didn’t have any sons, but I believe that raising girls is a completely different career than raising boys.

Here’s how I remember the blur….

It’s a girl! – “Isn’t she lovely”

It’s a girl! – “How cool is this”

“Hat Trick”!

My Little Ponies, Barbies and Dress up and random Barbie appendages
French Braids and Pony Tails – “no bumps please”
Dance class, more dance classes, more dance classes
Hand Clapping Games
“Star Sprinkles”
Fears and Tears
Fights, Fits, Giggles – Hysteria
Clothes flying out the upstairs window
Sharks and Swimmers
Porcelain Dolls
Daisies, Brownies, Junior Girl Scouts and Cookie MOMster
Daddy’s Girls
Puppy
Hermit Crabs
Kittens!  x 3
Hamster in the bedroom – nope… hamster in the basement – where is that hamster anyway?
Sharing rooms and (not) cleaning rooms -
Second Phone Line, Nextel Talkies, 10 IM windows open

Sleepovers

Best Friends

Boyfriends

Dried Flowers

Prom dresses

Grad gowns

More grad gowns

Wedding dress!!

Granddaughter!!!!

It was fun and fast and furious!  We are truly blessed and so pleased about how it all has turned out.  We have three great daughters that are best friends/sisters and now a lovely, lovely granddaughter too!

I wish you daughters!

13 Responses to “Raising Daughters”

1. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls March 11, 2010 at 3:48 pm #

I’m a mom with 3 daughters as well – although my oldest is only just turning 9 this year. I love your list and am looking forward to so many of those same experiences. It’s good to hear from a mom who’s survived the teen years – that’s something I’m definitely dreading, lol.

Right now we’re right in the middle of the My Little Pony/Barbie/pony tail/Daisies/Brownies/hysteria phase! :)

2. Kim @ What's That Smell? March 11, 2010 at 7:12 pm #

Well, I have a son and a daughter, and she is only 2 so we haven’t touched on much of those things yet, and I look forward to most of them but I do draw the line at hermit crabs. (creepy)

Wonderful tribute to your daughters!

3. Amanda Andrews March 11, 2010 at 11:23 pm #

I am the oldest of 5 girls and 1 boy. I am only 23 and the youngest, my brother, just turned 6! And from experience with that, boys and girls are completely different! Us girls went through pretty much that exact list you have. :) And we were close. But I have always had a special place in my heart for my brother..plus he was SOOOO much easier. No drama. No real preferences. Playing in mud makes him happy, so he is way less expensive, too! So when I became pregnant for the first time, my husband (who is the only boy of 5!) and I kind of hoped for a boy…and we now have an 18 month old son! :D He is for the most part, extremely easy. I do not know what I would do with a girl..and I think the Lord knows this because when we found out that we were having twin BOYS, I couldn’t have been more shocked..or happy! This is my last pregnancy..so no girls in the future for us…but we both have plenty of sisters to make up for that. I’m ready to experience all the BOY stuff now.

4. Lindsay Lebresco March 12, 2010 at 10:03 am #

That brought tears to my eyes Donna! From the start I knew I wanted a boy first because I had an older brother to “protect” me- we were lucky to have a boy the first time around. But what’s a big brother without someone to protect? Second time around, a girl- lucky, lucky us. However, like you describe it, I’ve never experienced, nor will my kids, the thrill and awesomeness of sisterhood. I love that you clearly love your girls. It’s such a wonderful thing!!

5. Megan March 12, 2010 at 4:09 pm #

I have a 2 year old daughter and am expecting a second daughter in May. So many people give me sympathetic looks and ask if we are going to “try for a boy” when I say that we’re having another girl. Truth is, I couldn’t be happier to have two girls. I look forward to so many of the activities and events that you mention in this post!

6. Kate March 16, 2010 at 11:17 am #

I love the “no bumps please” comment – so real!! :) I remember telling my mom that…

7. Lara Greenlief March 19, 2010 at 7:14 pm #

the perfect post. Just like what you said. I have nothing to add. I’d like to elaborate a bit. This post is so well written it’s almost perfection itself. I feel that if a leave a comment it will stain the carpet and mess the overall grandeur of the blog. I beat a hasty retreat. But I come again to check how the author responds to commenters.

8. Melissa Parlaman March 23, 2010 at 11:54 am #

Donna–i teared up too which is a difficult feat! I so look forward to the awesome times with my two girls. They are already having so much fun with each other. PP already says that she is going to have a tea party & play dress up when Pinkie Pie gets “bigger & bigger.”

9. Kelly Voelker March 24, 2010 at 2:35 pm #

Wow! Tears from MELISSA!!? :) This post is adorable and I have loved having a sister. We had so many of the same experiences you mention up above and I can’t wait until we both have kids to relive it all over again!

10. pre approved bad credit auto loan December 15, 2010 at 7:41 am #

Just simply located this website throughout Aol these days. Also been following this stay at this point. Good web site. Added! :) I will likely be backside!

11. wiki links August 17, 2012 at 9:18 am #

Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this write-up
    and also the rest of the site is also really good.

12. mens fitness workouts August 26, 2012 at 11:29 am #

Hi, just wanted to say, I loved this post.
    It was helpful. Keep on posting!

1. Bundles, Bumps & Babies! #24 | Graco Pack & Play - August 6, 2010

[...] SweetPea and my BooBear were born 17 months apart and I thought that was close!  At one point, my 3 daughters were all [...]