My Overactive Toddler

Jed is 18 months now. He is mobile, he is fast, and he is naughty. I use the term naughty because he looks right at you and smirks when he is doing something he knows he shouldn’t. You chuckle because you know the type. He knows what he shouldn’t do even at this age, and he loves testing his limits. This boy is t-r-o-u-b-l-e, with a capital T!

However, every day life doesn’t stop just because you have to keep your eyes on your wild toddler. You need to take care of other things around the house. Mine happens to be currently obsessed with jumping and climbing. I know what you’re thinking…oh, that’s just a boy being a boy. Cimbing I can handle. Jumping I can handle. Jumping from the coffee table to the couch face first…Houston, we have a problem.

My saving grace for wrangling my little wild one is our Pack ‘n Play®. I guess you can say I “trained” both my children to enjoy their playards. I started putting them in at an early age for short spurts. The more time they spent, the more they enjoyed it. It was wonderful knowing they were safe while I was in the kitchen.

Now if I am cooking dinner and turn around to find my wee one standing in the middle of the kitchen table, (yes, this has actually happened), into the Pack ‘n Play® he goes. I’m happy to know I can easily keep my apprentice ninja child safe when something needs to be done.

Do you have an extra active child? Do you have an always ready safe-zone for him?

8 Responses to “My Overactive Toddler”

1. Nicole Marie August 13, 2010 at 4:02 pm #

My child is extra active & my Pack n’ Play is a life saver. I take it to his grandmother’s house and everything! Like you, I started his play pen time early, so now he loves it! He goes in without a fuss. Thank goodness for Graco. My son’s play pen, high chair, stroller and car seat are made by them. :)

2. P&J August 13, 2010 at 8:10 pm #

Yes, Jed is active! However he is not naughty, but adorable! If he gets too naughty, we will come and take him off your hands asap! Just let us know!

3. onemotherslove August 15, 2010 at 1:27 am #

I have to get my 16-month girl off the dining table at least once a day. Wish I had a play pen, but I don’t think she’d be happy contained. She doesn’t like the gates we put up to keep her out of the office. We put her in the saucer to get anything done. My dad recommended a 14′ cattle panel to go across our open floor plan to keep her off the table!

4. Surprised Mama August 16, 2010 at 3:48 pm #

Oh my! I have a 10 month old and he seems to be just about as active. Thankfully, I also started him in his Graco pack & play early on so now that’s where he goes when he plays daredevil around the house. I’m a little nervous to see that they get more risky as they get older. Yikes!

5. Baby Games August 17, 2010 at 2:20 am #

Hi,

Your are absolutely right.. your baby looks very active.. I believe there’s a bright future waiting in him.. Keep him very well.. He is born to do greater things..

Thanks..

6. Karen Hartzell August 17, 2010 at 11:34 am #

So glad to see so many other parents have their challenges and are using their pack and plays!

P&J, you’ll see him soon enough in October! You can give me and DH a well deserved rest/night out. :-)

7. Pozycjonowanie December 4, 2010 at 10:47 am #

Unfortunately, I can’t agree with most of disturbing stuff here.

1. Wordless Wednesday « In the Kitchen with KP… - February 23, 2011

[...] If you know me in real life, you have probably heard me mentioned how active my 2 year old son is. I think the term I use most frequently is naughty as described in this post. [...]