Available Now! Graco Signature Series Smart Seat All-in-One Car Seat

Graco is extremely excited to announce the launch of the much awaited, all-in-one car seat, Signature Series™ Smart Seat™.

Working for Graco, I’ve used the full line of car seats — from infant car seats to convertible car seats and harnessed booster seats. But as a mom of two kids, let me tell you what I love about the Smart Seat: the versatility of it. The Smart Seat lets you easily and quickly adjust it to fit any size child from 5 lbs to 100 lbs.

This is the ultimate car pooling seat for the mom on the go!

Here’s a look at some of the best features from a mom’s perspective:

The Smart Seat is Easy to Use:
The Smart Seat features a stay-in-car base (we call it the Smart Base), which is installed once. And what we mean by that is that you don’t have to re-install the seat to move from rear-facing to forward-facing (and vice-versa). You can even buy an additional base for a second car! That means I could take PP to school in the morning forward-facing, and then pick up Pinkie Pie later in the day to bring her home rear-facing, WITHOUT reinstalling the seat.

Also, there is a no re-thread harness which automatically adjusts in height as you move the head rest up and down.

Multiple recline positions make it easy to accommodate the comfort level of your child, and it also helps with proper installation. And did I say recline? The Smart Seat also has what we call “on the go” recline, meaning you can recline the seat after it’s installed in case your forward-facing little one wants to lean back and rest.

For me, this makes it AWESOME for anyone with multiple kids, will be having multiple kids in the future or will be driving around multiple kids.

The Smart Seat is Built for Safety:
I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you about the safety features of this seat. The Smart Seat is definitely large and heavy, but it was made that way for a reason — the car seat is reinforced with steel (both the seat and the stay-in-car base) for strength and durability.

The Smart Seat has also been SafeSeat Engineered, which means it is Side Impact Tested, tested to 2x the car seat standard for crash force and is tested for performance in extreme interior temperatures in a car. It also has an EPS, energy foam liner.

If that weren’t enough, the Smart Seat features seat-to-base locking indicators to ensure that the car seat is locked into the stay-in-car base. You can install the seat using LATCH or the seat belt lock off, which makes seat belt installation easier (your choice on which one to use to install the seat). Once the car seat is installed, there is a level indicator on the seat to ensure that the seat is at the right angle and installed correctly. Correct installation = a safer seat for your child.

I have to say, this seat has everything (did I mention that it has flip-up arm rests that let you easily get your child in and out of the seat AND a handy harness storage compartment to use once you start using the seat as a belt-positioning booster? Oh — and don’t forget the cup holder!). With a life span of 5-100 lbs. and a ten year expiration date – this might be the only car seat you’ll ever need!

The Smart Seat is exclusively available at Babies “R” Us and is available for pre-order today. It will be available in Babies “R” Us stores in mid-February, but why wait? Order yours now!!

88 Responses to “Available Now! Graco Signature Series Smart Seat All-in-One Car Seat”

1. beth January 20, 2011 at 10:55 pm #

oh how i would love to test drive this seat!! with a daycare i am forever changing out seats!!!

2. Aura January 21, 2011 at 12:40 am #

what an ingenious car seat! Now all we need is a stroller that you can use this car seat as the seat

3. Nik January 25, 2011 at 8:58 pm #

I haven’t been able to figure out if it has a carrying handle for when you take it out of the base. I was hoping for the ultimate car seat – a carrying handle for the rear facing style, base, and convertible through all of the stages.

4. Melissa Parlaman January 26, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

@Nik
    Sorry, Nik, this does not have a carry handle. Please let me know if you have any other questions. We will be posting a “usage” video very soon so that may also answer any additional questions. Thanks for stopping by!

5. Andrea January 29, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

After months of research, I just purchased this carseat for my 10mo old daughter from BRU. This seat is beautiful, I love the pattern!!!

It has amazing safety features, is easy to use, it is heavy duty so it will last as long as she needs a carseat, & looks like it is easy to clean:-). Although it is a bit wide, it fits into my Lexus IS very tightly. It is less lengthy than others I’ve reviewed though. However, ive lost leg room in the front seats, but I’m sure the fit will be better once it is in the forward facing position.

It was VERY easy to install, my husband and I got it in securely in about 10 minutes. Way to go Graco! We upgraded from a Graco Snug Ride Travel system so right now we are using it in the rear facing position with the infant insert. I 1/2 way agree with the other reviewer, it would be awesome to have a matching stroller. But something lightweight, I couldn’t imagine hauling around this heavy seat! All in all, it appears worth the money!!!

6. Kelly Voelker January 31, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

Hi Andrea – Thanks for the comment and we’re so glad you like the Smart Seat!

7. Beard February 1, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

Which stores have it? How much is it going for?

8. Kelly Voelker February 1, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

Hi! The Smart Seat is available at Babies “R” Us and the price is $299. Here’s a link where you can check it out: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4360518

Let me know if you have any other questions.

9. Car Roof Racks UK February 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

I can understand how much comfy you can be while using the car seat. I wish to grab the same. Found your post really interesting. Thanks for the post!

10. Joni February 5, 2011 at 4:34 am #

I just seen the carseat at BRU today. I was soo tempted to get it for my little one but her father said he wanted to buy it (which keeps extra money in my pocket). I just showed him which one online and he is as excited as I am to get it. I can’t wait!!!! I know my little one will love it.

11. owenWH February 5, 2011 at 6:39 pm #

I’ve tried out the SS and LOVE so much about it… my only question/concern though… the harness straps seem very short? My daughter is only 17 months (and of average weight)and I have to extend the harness straps all the way to get her into the seat. When the harness is appropriately snug, there is only about 2 inches of “tail”. Is this normal? Also the LATCH strap is too short to use (but not a big deal, as I prefer seat belt install anyway).

12. Dana February 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Does anyone know what the height maximum would be for the child? My daughter is tall. She just turned 3 and is probably close to 40″ tall.

13. Melissa Parlaman February 8, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

hey Dana! the height info is printed on the seat label located on the outside panel by the head support area (if you need to reference it again):50” forward-facing using the harness & 57” using the seat as booster. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

14. June February 9, 2011 at 8:44 pm #

Does anyone know if this seat has to be installed into the base as a rear or forward? Is it possible to install without the base?

15. Melissa Parlaman February 10, 2011 at 4:48 pm #

Hi June!
    The Smart Base needs to be installed to use the Smart Seat in both Rear-facing and Forward-facing harness modes. When you are ready to convert to belt positioning booster mode, you can then remove the base.

The Smart Base is installed once & does not have to re-installed again to change to forward-facing. You can also purchase an additional base to use in another car so you can move the car seat back & forth between cars.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Melissa

16. owenWH February 11, 2011 at 12:41 am #

Hi Melissa, could you please reply to my earlier post re the length of the harness straps?? Are they supposed to be VERY short? Thanks!

17. Melissa Parlaman February 11, 2011 at 1:28 am #

Hi Owen. So sorry for the delayed response. Can you email us at blog@gracobaby.com & provide some pictures of the harness straps being too short on your child? We want to make sure we can provide you the best information for your question. Thanks for your patience!

18. owenWH February 13, 2011 at 1:21 am #

Thanks Melissa, I’ll take some pics tomorrow and email you :)

19. pattie February 15, 2011 at 11:21 pm #

Hello,

I’m a Latina blogger over at Living Mi Vida Loca and expecting my second child very soon (I have a three year old). Will Graco be working with any mommy bloggers on reviews and giveaways on this very awesome Graco Smart Seat All-in-One Convertible car seat? If so, please put me down on the interest list.

Thanks!
    Pattie

20. Sara February 25, 2011 at 12:39 am #

I looooovvvveeeeeeeee this idea! We will be purchasing a convertible car seat very soon! After reading reviews, here are my concerns/questions:
    1) One review I read reported that the seat “rattled” in the base when driving, even on smooth roads. Has this been a reported problem, or was that an isolated incident?
    2) The Graco MyRide allowed enough room to fit into more cars with comfortable legroom when in the rear-facing. How does this seat compare to the MyRide in the amount of space it takes up?

Thank you very much in advance for your reply!

21. Kelly Voelker March 1, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

Hi Sara – Thanks for your question! We’ve heard about that consumer’s comment that the seat “rattles” and we believe that is an isolated incident. As for your second question, if you are asking about legroom for the child rear-facing, there is as much if not more distance for the legs of a child to the vehicle seat back when you compare the Smart Seat to the MyRide65. As for adult legroom, the Smart Seat does take up more space than the MyRide, but it gives parents 5 recline positions to use. Depending on the make and model of your car, that should help. Let me know if there are any other questions you might have!

22. Sara March 4, 2011 at 6:57 pm #

Kelly,
    Thank you for getting back to me.
    Yes, I was talking about adult leg room when the seat is RF.
    How much less room is there than with the MyRide 65?

23. Judy August 13, 2011 at 7:08 am #

will there ever be a carseat frame stroller for this chair? like what the infant snugriders have

24. Brittany August 14, 2011 at 2:30 am #

will the Graco Smart Seat All-in-One Convertible Car Seat fit in a 2000 honda accord coupe which is a 2 door???

25. Melissa Parlaman August 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

Hi Brittany! We conduct “fit to car” testing on a variety of makes/models of cars. The best recommendation that I can give is to visit your local Babies R Us & ask them if you can try out the Smart Seat in your car to make sure that it fits. Hope you like it!

26. Melissa Parlaman August 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

Hi Judy! At this point, there is no Smart Seat stroller frame. Because there is no infant carrier handle (like what is on the infant car seats), the Smart Seat is not meant for portability (the base was created to help with transition from rear-facing to forward-facing, as well as switching from car to car). Thanks for the comment, Judy!

27. Erin August 19, 2011 at 8:32 pm #

I bought this car seat the first week that it was on the market and for the most part, it is great. My only issue is if you have to take the cover off to wash it (because it will get dirty one way or another). You can’t just take a piece off (if all you really need to wash is the back or the seat) you have to take the ENTIRE thing apart and then struggle to put it back together, which is not the easiest thing to do. It would be great if the parts that snap together acutally come off on their own instead of being a tease (like make the back and the seat two seperate parts instead of them snapping on the sides but being seamed together in the middle). Have you, by any chance, heard if anyone will be making a seat cover for this car seat? It might eliminate this problem.

28. Melissa Parlaman August 23, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

Hi Erin. Thanks for your feedback. We don’t know of anyone that also makes a car seat cover for this seat but we also don’t recommend using a car seat cover that does not come with your car seat when you buy it. All of our car seat testing is done with the car seat & the car seat cover on it. So, we do not advocate any after market accessories that have not been engineered by Graco. Sorry for the technical response but I hope it helps!

29. Ken August 24, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

Do you use the car’s seatbelt to secure the base, or are you able to use the “hooks” that are now in most cars?

30. Melissa Parlaman August 24, 2011 at 8:19 pm #

Hi Ken! You can do either: You can use the seat belt lock off on the Smart Base to secure the car seat to your vehicle OR you can use LATCH (the hooks you were referring to). Please utilize either method that your are most comfortable with & one that gets the car seat in tight (no more than one inch side to side at the belt path). Please remember not to use both methods–just one. Please let us know if you have any more questions!

31. Kimberly September 2, 2011 at 4:47 pm #

Are there crashtest studies on this seat i can read somewhere?

32. Carolyn September 5, 2011 at 11:25 pm #

We saw this today at Babies R Us. I can’t seem to find if this has been rated by NHTSA. Does anyone know if they’ve rated the Smart Seat yet? I like the concept as we have the Chicco keyfit now and like being able to move the carseat from car to car with a base in each car.

33. Melissa Parlaman September 7, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

Hi Carolyn. At this point, it has not been rated by NHTSA. There are a lot of reviews online from other parents that have purchased & used the seat, so you may want to see their feedback in the mean time. Thanks!

34. Cindy October 1, 2011 at 9:06 pm #

I was wondering when you take the Carseat out without the base can you use it in a shopping cart as well?

35. Melissa Parlaman October 3, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

Hi Cindy. To answer your question, no, you cannot take the car seat out and use it in the shopping cart. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

36. Maria October 12, 2011 at 6:35 am #

were else can i find the Graco SmartSeat All-in-One Car Seat “jemma” first seen it on line on graco.com but i will like to walking in the store and purchase it myself? Also i seen them at babysrus but they dont have the new patter “jemma”.

37. Melissa Parlaman October 13, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

Hi Maria,
    BuyBuyBaby will be carrying it online only (but they still haven’t put on their website yet). Amazon.com has it now:

Select specialty retailers will have it as well. If you go to the graco website:
    you can input your area code and if any retailers near you carry the seat in store, it will show up.

Please let us know if you have any more questions and hope you love the seat!
    Melissa

38. Maria October 16, 2011 at 11:52 pm #

I would love to know why you have to use the harness sholder strap covers when rear facing, i just got this seat today but I am thinking of returning it. The seat is great except this feature, it rubs my daughters poor little face pretty bad, they are so stiff and bulky. Everyone keeps telling me to just take them off but the manual says not to do that…

39. Stacey October 17, 2011 at 1:03 am #

I was wondering if this seat meets canadian safety requirements? We live in Canada but travel to the US, so we could buy the seat on the US side, but we want to make sure it’s something that is “approved” for use in Canada.

Thanks
    Stacey

40. Melissa Parlaman October 18, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

Hi Stacey,
    At this time, Smart Seat does not meet Canadian car seat compliance.

41. Melissa Parlaman October 19, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

Hi Maria,
    In reference to your comment regarding the harness covers, our testing shows that this is the safest way to use the seat. The harness covers provide additional padding and support, and not using the covers changes the dynamics of a crash. The covers have been tested to fit a variety of children and are required to use when rear-facing. I hope this helps!

42. Tonya October 20, 2011 at 7:33 pm #

when you take the smart seat out and use it in another car,
    do you have to use the base????

43. Melissa Parlaman October 21, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

Hi Tonya,
    When you are using the seat as a 5-point harness seat, you must use the base. When your child is big enough & old enough to use the seat as a belt-positioning booster, then you have to remove the base, place the harnesses in the integrated harness compartment & use the vehicle seat belt. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
    Melissa

44. Kristy October 31, 2011 at 6:59 pm #

Can the recline be used in forward facing position?

45. Stacey November 1, 2011 at 2:45 am #

I have purchased this carseat but absolutely cannot get the harness straps tight enough on my 17 month old’s chest. I can actually fit my fist under the straps. When I pull to tighten it the shoulders get tighter (he whimpers) but the chest area stays loose. Is this normal? It seems as though I’m not the only one to raise this concern. Is it fixable or should I return it and purchase something else?

Stacey

46. Melissa Parlaman November 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

Hi Stacey,
    Without seeing the issue, here is what our car seat engineer says:

This sounds like the head rest may not be in the proper position.
    If the head rest is still in the lowest position the harness would go around the shoulders and the down to about the small of the child’s back (depending on size) this may cause this effect of creating a tight shoulder effect without being able to adjust the chest belt area correctly.

I would suggest she repositions the Head rest so that the harness slot are at the child’s shoulder height for rear facing and if forward facing at or above.

If this doesn’t help please let us know.

47. Melissa Parlaman November 1, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

Hi Kristy,
    There are labels on the car seat that explain which recline positions can be used (they serve as good reminders!).

In rear facing mode – you need to use the level indicator for proper installation. So in some cars you may have the ability to use all 5 positions.

In forward facing mode – when the child is 20-39 lbs, all 5 positions are able to be used. When the child reaches 40 lbs-65 lbs, always use recline position 1.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

48. Doug November 19, 2011 at 1:04 am #

I need help!!! My daughter puked all over her awesome signature series car seat. We had to take it apart to wash the straps and now it seems to not be working properly since we put it back together. Is there a schematic to show how everything goes back in place??

49. Evenflo Triumph Car Seat November 20, 2011 at 3:58 am #

So good and well informed blog.I read this during my lunch break and I was surprised to find this.I think people will be helpful to read this.

50. Marie November 20, 2011 at 9:09 pm #

I am researching car seats. I looking at the Smart Seat Jemma for my 2 year old. I have read that you cannot use the harness covers when in the forward facing position. Is that right? I like to have covers on the harness to keep it clean and as more comfortable. If I cannot use the covers that came with the seat, can I use another set that I bought at the store?
    Also, I have read that it doesn’t fit well in booster mode and can push the child’s head forward. Because of this, is it safer to get the MyRide 65 (I loved the pink and purple one that we had), then a booster for after that?

Thanks!

1. Graco Answers your Smart Seat™ All-in-One Car Seat questions | Graco Heart to Heart Blog - August 12, 2011

[...] so you only have to install the base one time. The Smart Seat™ has been side impact tested & SafeSeat Engineered, and both the car seat & the car seat base are steel-reinforced for strength and [...]