Available Now! Graco Signature Series Smart Seat All-in-One Car Seat

Graco is extremely excited to announce the launch of the much awaited, all-in-one car seat, Signature Series™ Smart Seat™.

Working for Graco, I’ve used the full line of car seats — from infant car seats to convertible car seats and harnessed booster seats. But as a mom of two kids, let me tell you what I love about the Smart Seat: the versatility of it. The Smart Seat lets you easily and quickly adjust it to fit any size child from 5 lbs to 100 lbs.

This is the ultimate car pooling seat for the mom on the go!

Here’s a look at some of the best features from a mom’s perspective:

The Smart Seat is Easy to Use:
The Smart Seat features a stay-in-car base (we call it the Smart Base), which is installed once. And what we mean by that is that you don’t have to re-install the seat to move from rear-facing to forward-facing (and vice-versa). You can even buy an additional base for a second car! That means I could take PP to school in the morning forward-facing, and then pick up Pinkie Pie later in the day to bring her home rear-facing, WITHOUT reinstalling the seat.

Also, there is a no re-thread harness which automatically adjusts in height as you move the head rest up and down.

Multiple recline positions make it easy to accommodate the comfort level of your child, and it also helps with proper installation. And did I say recline? The Smart Seat also has what we call “on the go” recline, meaning you can recline the seat after it’s installed in case your forward-facing little one wants to lean back and rest.

For me, this makes it AWESOME for anyone with multiple kids, will be having multiple kids in the future or will be driving around multiple kids.

The Smart Seat is Built for Safety:
I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you about the safety features of this seat. The Smart Seat is definitely large and heavy, but it was made that way for a reason — the car seat is reinforced with steel (both the seat and the stay-in-car base) for strength and durability.

The Smart Seat has also been SafeSeat Engineered, which means it is Side Impact Tested, tested to 2x the car seat standard for crash force and is tested for performance in extreme interior temperatures in a car. It also has an EPS, energy foam liner.

If that weren’t enough, the Smart Seat features seat-to-base locking indicators to ensure that the car seat is locked into the stay-in-car base. You can install the seat using LATCH or the seat belt lock off, which makes seat belt installation easier (your choice on which one to use to install the seat). Once the car seat is installed, there is a level indicator on the seat to ensure that the seat is at the right angle and installed correctly. Correct installation = a safer seat for your child.

I have to say, this seat has everything (did I mention that it has flip-up arm rests that let you easily get your child in and out of the seat AND a handy harness storage compartment to use once you start using the seat as a belt-positioning booster? Oh — and don’t forget the cup holder!). With a life span of 5-100 lbs. and a ten year expiration date – this might be the only car seat you’ll ever need!

The Smart Seat is exclusively available at Babies “R” Us and is available for pre-order today. It will be available in Babies “R” Us stores in mid-February, but why wait? Order yours now!!

88 Responses to “Available Now! Graco Signature Series Smart Seat All-in-One Car Seat”

1. Sharla November 29, 2011 at 5:23 am #

Will the Smart Seat meet Canadian car seat compliance anytime in the very near future?

2. Melissa Parlaman December 5, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Hi Sharla,
    I don’t know when Smart Seat will be compliant with Canadian standards. Once we know, we will create a post specific for Canadian compliance.

3. Nikki December 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm #

hello,
    my daughter is 6 months old today and she is getting pretty long for her infant seat. i’ve been doing a lot of research on this seat and i really do love it. I was wondering how you carry this seat from the car to a grocery cart, will it even fit onto a cart? thats basically my only concern as of now

4. Melissa Parlaman December 12, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Hi Nikki. You actually cannot use the Smart Seat in a grocery cart. the portability of the seat (because of the available bases) is mostly to use from car to car (like you use your infant car seat). you do not get the convenience of the car seat snapping into a stroller or in a grocery cart but you do get the value of an all-in-one seat, on-the-go recline as well as the no re-thread harness (which is by far my favorite & most useful feature in my opinion)! I hope this helps!

5. Ultimate Car Seat Travel Bag December 17, 2011 at 8:04 am #

My brother suggested I would possibly like this blog. He was once totally right. This post truly made my day. You can not believe simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

6. Melissa January 3, 2012 at 12:57 am #

I just bought this a few days ago for my 13 month old son… and I loove it! He seems so comfortable in it, and I love the reclining feature! He fell asleep in it sitting up and i reclined it back for him and he was all snuggled up! I have a kia forte.. and I thought this carseat would be too big for it.. but it doesnt take up that much room, even rear-facing! I love that I can use this for such a long period of time, it makes it worth the money and not that this matters, but it looks sooooo nice! We were at the store trying the carseats out and I couldnt stop coming back to this one even tho it was the most expensive one there…babysrus has a coupon out right now that takes $10 off every $50 spent… so I got $60 off the price… which made this carseat a steal :)

7. DIANA January 7, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

I BOUGHT THIS SEAT BECAUSE OF ALL THE CONVENIENCE OF IT. I LOVED THEM, BUT I FEEL LIKE MY 12 MONTH OLD ISN’T COMFORTABLE IN IT. I HAVE IT REAR FACING AND SHE IS RECLINED, HER HEAD AND NECK LOOK UNCOMFORTABLE. I DON’T KNOW IF I HAVE THE HEADREST CORRECTLY PLACED FOR HER SIZE. IS THERE A PLACE THAT IS TRAINED IN HOW THE BABY S HOULD BE SITTING IN THE SEAT? I KNOW THERE ARE PLACES I CAN BRING THE CAR SEAT TO MAKE SURE IT IS PROPERLY INSTALLED, BUT THAT ISN’T MY PROBLEM. THE INSTRUCTIONS DON’T REALLY SHOW A GOOD PICTURE OF HOW A BABY SHOULD LOOK INSDE IT REAR FACING.

8. DIANA January 7, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

Melissa,
    As an extension to my last question I have a question about an earlier post about the harness. I am experiencing some of the same problems. I feel like I can’t make them loose enough to get my 12 month old in comfortably, I feel like I have to bend her arm a lot, especially with a winter coat on her. This was the post:

“I’ve tried out the SS and LOVE so much about it… my only question/concern though… the harness straps seem very short? My daughter is only 17 months (and of average weight)and I have to extend the harness straps all the way to get her into the seat. When the harness is appropriately snug, there is only about 2 inches of “tail”. Is this normal? ”

My daughter is younger and actually small for her age. Also, do I have to use the infant insert if she is rear facing or is it based on size? She is almost 21 lbs and about 27 in tall.

Please let me know

9. Heidi January 9, 2012 at 11:43 pm #

when will this car seat be available in canada?

10. Melissa Parlaman (Graco Contributor) January 10, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

Hi Diana,
    Hopefully I can address your questions. Regarding the difficulty with loosening the harness/fitting to your child, please try this:
    1. Loosen harness completely
    2. Raise the head rest
    3. Places child in the seat
    4. Put harness around shoulders and chest of child
    5. Lock buckle to harness
    6. Re adjuster the headrest so that harness webbing is below shoulders for rear facing mode and at or above for forward facing
    7. Slowly tighten central adjuster being aware of the location of the chest clip,
    8. As harness slack is reduced, attach the chest clip part together
    9. Completely tighten the central adjuster so that the harness is at the acceptable tightness with child.
    10. Re-adjust central adjuster so that it is at the armpit level.

To answer your other question regarding the infant insert, the infant body support is not required for rear-facing mode. It is an optional feature.

I hope this helps you, Diana!

11. Melissa Parlaman (Graco Contributor) January 10, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

Hi Heidi,
    At this point, we do not know when the seat will be available for sale in Canada. Once it is, we will write a blog post about it..Stay tuned!

12. Melissa Parlaman (Graco Contributor) January 10, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Hi Melissa,
    Thanks for stopping by & leaving a comment–we are so glad you love this car seat!
    Melissa

13. Katie January 15, 2012 at 3:43 am #

We are planning to buy this seat, but I’m worried about heavy it could be moving from car to car. We will be buying 3 bases because my husband needs one and my mom does also since she watches our 8 month old. Just wondering if I need to pump iron before buying:)

14. Tayelor January 16, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

Hello, I am wanting to purchase this car seat for my son to replace his KeyFit 30 when he out grows it. But the color options for boys are, to be quite frank, terrible. Living in the mid west, that black and brown contraption would simply cook my little one.

Will there be a greater color variety in the 2012 line? If so, when will that be availble? As a mother of a boy, it really irks me when companys only make interesting patterns for girls. Anyway, really hope there are some nice patterns on the way, otherwise I will have to find something else.

15. Melissa Parlaman (Graco Contributor) January 17, 2012 at 9:28 pm #

Hi Tayelor,
    I forwarded your comment to our marketing team regarding new colors for boys regarding car seats. At this point, what you see out in the market is what we have. We hope to get more color options out there soon but will let everyone know once we do.
    Thanks!
    Melissa

16. Tayelor January 18, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Melissa,

Thank you for your time and consideration. Really looking forward to what you all come up with!

17. Debbie January 29, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

What studies has Graco done about toxic materials used in the manufacture of the Smart Seat? I know some of your other seats fared will in the study by HealthyStuff.org, so I am inclined to go with Graco, but certainly don’t want any toxic materials near my babies. Thanks for any info you can share.

18. pauline February 5, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

Just a follow up of Debbi’s posting about Graco’s toxic study and results. I need to upgrade our infant Graco Snugride platinum to a convertible. We have looked into the Diono Sunshine Kids and Britax Marathon but decided against the two due to the Bromine level showin in HealthyStuff.org.
    I am leaning towards the Graco smart seat but there isn’t any comments regarding toxic level. thank you.

19. Melissa Parlaman February 6, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

Hi Pauline & Debbie,
    As a juvenile products manufacturer, Graco is subject to strict regulations, including a requirement for products to be flame retardant. All Graco products are in compliance with government standards, including the materials used to manufacture our products. The safety of the parents and children who use our products is our top priority.

20. Erin February 12, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

I am seriously looking into this car seat. It seams really great. My only drawback is the cost of the seat plus the bases. We are looking into buying an additional base so that their is a base in both my car and my husbands. However my mother will be watching my baby and needs a base too. We aren’t really thrilled about buying an additional base. Can the car seat be used in the rear facing position without the base?

21. Melissa Parlaman February 13, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

Hi Erin,
    The Smart Seat in rear-facing mode must be used with the Smart Base. You remove the base only when using the seat in belt-positioning mode when the child is older. Right now, Babies R Us is having their Great Trade In Event (now until Feb 20). If you have an old baby gear item, you can trade it in for 25% off of a new product. This may help with the overall cost of buying the seat plus the additional bases. Hope this helps!
    Melissa

22. Jenna March 4, 2012 at 12:51 am #

Can the Graco Smart seat fit the Graco Infant Car seat Stroller frame? (http://www.amazon.com/Graco-SnugRider-Infant-Stroller-Frame/dp/B0007KMUH4) If not, is there ANY other stroller frame known that will fit this seat? Ive ordered this seat, didnt mind the weight or size, but am disappointed to find out that carrying it is the only way to transport it.

23. Rachel April 3, 2012 at 12:37 pm #

I LOVE THIS CAR SEAT!!!! I bought one for my son when he was about 6 months old. He absolutly loves it. He doesn’t fight me to get in the seat and can seat in the seat for longer periods of time without getting fussy. He is now facing forward and loves that he can see out the window. The seat is safe and durable and it is awesome that it has a base so it is easy install in multiple cars. The only downfall is the straps can get twisted easily. I fixed this by buying strap covers that are terrycloth because they aren’t as bulky and the straps don’t twist any more. I recomend this car seat 100%!!!

24. Lily April 21, 2012 at 6:49 am #

Hi, we purchased this car seat for my 9 month old daughter a few days ago. I travel from New York to California often to visit family. Is there a travel cart for this car seat available?

25. Melissa Parlaman (Graco Contributor) April 23, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

Hi Lily,
    No, the Graco Smart Seat is not compatible with any strollers.
    Melissa

26. Tara May 1, 2012 at 12:59 am #

Is this seat going to be available in Canada anytime soon or will the seat meet Canadian compliance so that it could be purchased online or in the US?

27. Melissa Parlaman (Graco Contributor) May 1, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

Hi Tara,
    Unfortunately, Smart Seat does not meet Canadia compliance & is not available in Canada. At this time, I do not know when it will. Once we get more information on the Canadian compliance, we will post.
    Thanks!
    Melissa

28. Shelby Sides May 1, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

Hello we will be traveling by airplane and checking in our car seat. I was wondering if there was a travel bag to put the car seat in so it won’t get banged up. Thanks! Shelby

29. Melissa Parlaman (Graco Contributor) May 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm #

Hi Shelby,
    Unfortunately, we do not sell travel bags for our car seats. Have fun on your trip!
    Melissa

30. Rebecca November 20, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

Is this any closer to becoming available in Canada?

31. Chanel December 1, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

Can the Graco Smart seat fit the Graco Infant Car seat Stroller frame?

32. lisa mason February 9, 2013 at 4:19 am #

i bought this carseat because with my 1st child we have had to buy 3 carseats for her, my second one 3 carseats and now with my 3rd, i will never have to buy another one. while i understand some of the complaints etc, i have found this carseat to be by far the best! granted, i used an infant carseat for about the first 4-5 months and until we got the new van(dodge caravan) which the Smart Seat fits wonderfully in. i like the shoulder pads as they keep her head from drooping when she falls asleep. its so sturdy and i am glad it can stay rear facing, and harnessed for so long.

my only concern now, and would be with any carseat, is the new law for 2014 about the latch and the combined weight. does graco have a weight for the carseat and based and can it advise on when we should stop using the latch and switch to the belt once the combined weight reaches 65 lbs?

thanks for a great seat, i am so glad i did my research and got this from a company i have trusted for many years!

33. lisa mawson February 9, 2013 at 4:20 am #

ugh name is lisa mawson, not mason :)

34. Martina March 26, 2013 at 4:50 pm #

I noticed that it’s been nearly a year since this question was asked. So I thought I’d check again…
    Is this seat available or going to be available in Canada anytime soon or will the seat meet Canadian compliance so that it could be purchased online or in the US?

35. Melissa March 27, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

I was wondering if there is a difference between the signature series and the ones that dont say signature series…..the pics i have found are very confusing. For instance the “Jessica” version main pic does not say signature series but if you scroll down it shows a different pic stating signature series. I have googled this and can not come up with anything?

36. Mellissa August 6, 2013 at 8:49 am #

Wholesale Nfl Jerseys China ConquerThe Nike Wholesale Nfl Jerseys China Conquer QS is
    a versatile boot made for the winter with a high cut, rugged traction
    pattern, waterproof overlays and a heel viz
    180 Nike Air unit. As a treat, let’s take a look at the price tags and may find many other benefits of Nike Air Force 1 Premium and Air force 1 Supreme.

37. rachel September 12, 2013 at 4:45 am #

Is this car seat still available at all in the jessica print? I absolutely love it and I can’t find it anywhere! T.I.A.