We’ve missed you!

Gracie & I are back!  Did you miss us?  (Let me rephrase that: did you miss seeing adorable photos of my little one??  I know Gracie’s Aunts Minnie & Gal sure did.)

The last two months have been a whirlwind for my daughter and me: we sold our house, moved into temporary living (i.e., a cramped hotel), and are now settled into a lovely, new home.  Hooray!  Gracie has handled all of this change amazingly well; it really is something.

I feel the need to tell you all SO much: my absence from blogging means you’ve missed hearing about Gracie’s constant motion, her first words, her love of the “So Big” game, and more.  Let me just recap by saying this: my daughter is healthy and brilliant (at least, according to her mama) and continues to be an utter joy to me.

So now that we’re caught up, I do have a milestone to share with you: solid foods!  While pregnant – and even still while on maternity leave – I had plans to make my own baby food for Gracie.  Ha!   “With what time??” I now ask myself.  We’ve been more than happy with store-bought organic yumminess – my daughter has seemed to enjoy (or at least not refuse) everything I’ve gotten her.

But over the last two months, Gracie has also started showing an interest in grown-up food!  My family frequently eats dinner sitting around a large coffee table and one of Gracie’s favorite activities is to work her way around (she “walks” if she can hold onto something) and explore each of our plates.  Usually we’ll break off tiny pieces of bread or rice or pancake (her favorite) for her, but this past week she got adventurous:  Gracie wanted our asparagus!

To my astonishment and delight, Gracie was thrilled with her fun green snack.  I have a feeling my daughter is going to grow up and be a foodie!  Oh, the restaurants we will explore :)

Thanks for the messages asking how we’ve been doing – I’ve enjoyed reading them and we are SO glad to be back with y’all.

And now, please help me feel better: were any of you like me in planning big for making your own baby food (or using cloth diapers or any other truly wonderful sustainable living ideas)??  Or are you all SuperMoms out there?  If you know how to make it ALL work, I’d love any advice you have to offer!

Tags:

9 Responses to “We’ve missed you!”

1. Lindsay June 10, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

I just recently tried pureeing healthy fresh food for the little one (who had seemed happy to eat anything). I spent all morning on it.

He wouldn’t eat it.

So I snuck some into his store-bought stuff… and then was changing at least three poopy diapers per day.

I guess toddler knows best!

2. Kate Hong June 10, 2011 at 3:38 pm #

Lindsay, that’s awesome. THANK YOU for sharing that with me :)

3. Michelle Y June 10, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

I planned on breastfeeding, cloth diapering and making my own baby food. Instead, I have a very happy formula fed, disposable diapered baby who tolerates her store-bought baby food (wouldn’t touch the homemade sort). I’m a stay-at-home mom and still can’t seem to find the time (energy!) to follow my “well laid” plans.

4. Kristen June 12, 2011 at 10:53 pm #

I had 2 VERY different “baby food” days with my 2 boys. Colbmeister, my oldest, I worked full time outside the home and tried nursing and pumping and couldn’t do it all. So much for that. Thus he became a formula baby, in daycare (3 days a wk), and on store bought baby food until he FINALLY had interest in table food about 13-15 months old. Once he started eating table foods he was good to go and has preferences, but tries most things like a regular 4 yr old little boy.

My 2nd son, I was working from home and thus the nursing was easier. Once I got him latched I feel like he never left that position. He refused to take a bottle until 9 months old. I attempted making baby food for him in our newly bought “Magic Bullet” since I was home and that seemed healthier and cheaper. (I remember feeding my older son up to 6, 7, 8 jars of food a day b/c he refused table food and yet still needed to eat!) Yeah, I did all this work making baby food from scratch with healthy produce and what did he want… TABLE FOOD. Parkster went straight to table food at 8 or 10 months old and I never pureed another thing, just diced small and he picked it up and stuffed it in his face, mashing it with those tough gums. He still eats everything put in front of him and is now 2 yrs old.

BUT, wouldn’t ya know. My older son (the formula / jarred baby food boy) now LOVES regular milk, drinks it like we will never see another cow – ever!). PJ, (my breastfed boy until 9 months and specialty formula from there b/c of something I was eating that we found out he was either allergic to or being caused major reflux issues with) NOW does not enjoy milk. (I do my best to get his calcium in other ways now and sneak in milk hoping he will drink it.)

Thus, I don’t think there’s a “right” or “wrong” way. What works for your family works and who knows it may differ even then. Ultimately I think the baby will eat what they want when they want it and won’t starve themselves, but instead create preferences when offered variety. If what Gracie wants is Asparagus… feed her other random things she can pick up and nibble off on her own like green beans or peaches or a banana. Pasta is another great one my little boys loved at an early age b/c it was very independent! The less work you have by pureeing or buying or jarring the easier in my book!

Go with the flow is my answer! :)

5. Kate June 13, 2011 at 8:52 am #

Michelle – as adorable as your daughter is, she’s OBVIOUSLY happy with everything you’re doing!!

Kristen – I completely understand the message you’re sharing. And isn’t it amazing how the only thing that’s predictable is unpredictability??? :)

Thanks, gals!

6. Jetson November 20, 2011 at 7:50 am #

Most help articles on the web are inaccurate or incroehent. Not this!

7. kjnnamvmyj November 20, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

AA36o8 bynoiodlssrg

8. pbhsyxnqf November 24, 2011 at 6:34 pm #

8mNErv vgisogvpxioa

1. Crafts for Kids inspired by Pintrest - March 23, 2012

[...] but looking back they are some of my most favorite memories here at Graco.  Her posts were genuine and interesting and informative.  I’m sure you can probably tell by now that Kate has [...]