Top 10 Ways To Announce – “We’re Pregnant!”

People are always looking for creative ways to share the big news – here’s a great story from one of our Graco Contributors. How did you tell!?

Pregnant and overwhelmed by all the baby gear? Lean on us! Set up a Graco account and we’ll help you through it!

“Honey, I swear I see two lines! Do you?” The excitement burning inside, we are elated, giddy and the feeling comes; there is no way we can go 3 months without telling anyone. There is one upside about waiting 3 months before the big announcement…you have plenty of time to get creative.

We have 13 nieces & nephews and needless to say my brothers & sisters are extremely creative when it comes to announcing the news. My husband and I were anxious for the day it would be our turn…and how would we announce to our family?

I love this topic, especially now, since, not too long ago, we shared the news of our 2nd pregnancy with our family. (Baby #2 due in July)

This announcement was fun – we were celebrating our daughter’s 2nd birthday. Our entire family was coming into town; so we decided to do a “Year in Review” video for our daughter. It ended with her Goal List for 2008 — which included the hard task of “becoming a big sister.” Needless to say our families were thrilled, a lot of screaming, crying and hugging. (The “goal list” is another blog for another day.)

Announcing to your family takes one tone and announcing to your team-members at work is an entirely differently deal. I wanted to explain the reason for my growing waistline to my marketing team at Graco. You can imagine how news spreads in an office setting – and I wanted to be sure to tell everyone on the team ‘myself’. You should never break-up with someone via email; but nobody said anything about pregnancy announcement via email.

I was quite impressed with the response time to my email (especially given the timing of 5pm on a Friday) – I received a phone call within 1 minute of pushing send and that phone call was quickly interrupted by 2 young ladies screaming as they ran into my office. It’s fun to work here and even more fun working with the people on the marketing team!

So I had some fun pulling some of the best ways…and I have created a Top 10 List.

Top 10 Ways to Announce “We’re Pregnant”:
10. Email the ultrasound picture to your family
9. A picture says a thousand words, yes that’s the EPT test.
8. Wrap a baby shoe as a gift to your family or husband
7. If there is an older sibling – the t-shirt announcing “I’m going to be a BIG Sister/Brother” is a sure win
6. My sister-in-law gave my mom a teapot (she collects them) and inside was a note that read; “Time For Tea and Baby #3.” Clever!!
5. That same family (they have 6 amazing kids) – met my parents for dinner at a quaint restaurant and my parents were quite excited when they saw the Pink & Blue balloons at the table when they arrived.
4. From a dad-to-be to the future grandpa, “It looks like we will need additional Football Tickets this season
3. Put an ultrasound picture on your Holiday Card (“our special gift is arriving in July”)
2. Have a bouquet of balloons (pink & blue) delivered to work or a grandparent’s house
1. And the BEST announcement ever…Anonymous post on a Family Website “Guess Who’s Pregnant

Any additional ideas you could share with our parents-to-be??

Also check out our post on Five Ways to Announce Your Baby’s Gender

11 Responses to “Top 10 Ways To Announce – “We’re Pregnant!””

1. Jessica April 16, 2008 at 11:06 am #

Five years ago, I bought a home pregnancy test during my lunch hour at work and the idea was that I would take the test first thing in the morning the next day, with my husband standing by.

But I couldn’t wait. I peed on the stick in the stall of the office public restroom, saw 2 lines and then IMed my husband. He immediately called me, but we couldn’t really talk about it since we both were in cubicles with notoriously nosy neighbors nearby.

I then put the peed-upon stick beneath my computer and stole glances at my urine-soaked joy all the rest of the day.

2. Jamie @ Blonde Mom Blog May 12, 2008 at 10:05 pm #

With my first daughter, I wrapped a “I Love Grandma” bib and had my mom open it. She started to cry! Then we just called everyone (boring, I know.)

With my second daughter, I made a little picture with a baby graphic that said “Baby Number Two” and put it in a picture frame and wrapped one for each set of grandparents. It was great fun to see their surprised faces. :)

Our little nephew wore a “Big Brother” pin on his shirt to dinner at my inlaws one night and they took a picture of him wearing it and e-mailed it to friends and family to announce baby #2. It was really cute.

3. Lori September 23, 2008 at 12:48 pm #

For my first son I gave my mom a bag full of yarn and she figured out that she needed to make a baby blanket really quick without me saying anything. It was so cute and she cried so hard.

4. jaime December 24, 2008 at 11:34 pm #

for our first we had a bouquet of flowers sent to both sets of grandparents with the note saying something like “gran, i can’t wait to meet you. love, baby james”

with the second we had the oldest wear a shirt that said “i’m going to be a big brother”. it took them (all 4 grandparents) FOREVER to read it and figure it out. we videotaped the whole thing.

5. Kesha Varn December 18, 2010 at 10:08 pm #

Rattling clear site, thanks for this post.

6. Baby Birth Announcement UK July 26, 2011 at 8:45 am #

Great blog post, some of the comments are really cute aswell

7. Chris August 3, 2011 at 5:13 pm #

For our first we had a graphic artist at my wifes work make up a post card with 4 adult feet and 2 baby feet showing out from under some covers and it said “Our family is growing by two feet” at the top. We gave this to my dad on his birthday in an envelope with all the family around. It was great! Later when we found out it was a boy we had some cupcakes made with blue icing inside them and pink and blue icing on top. We always go the same restarant after church on Sundays so before Church I took the cupcakes over to the restarant and told them to bring them to us after we ate lunch later that day. When the the waiter brought them over no one really could figure it out so I had to just say if they wanted to know what was in my wifes belly they had to bite into the cupcakes! They did and all looked down to see blue icing! it was awesome….

8. Kristen August 11, 2011 at 12:08 am #

For our first son, we “announced” the pregnancy at Christmas by wrapping up framed photos of our first ultrasound for each of our parents. They both agreed that it was the best present ever.

Our second son we announced in a pretty comical, not really planned way. We’d taken our 15 month old trick or treating to the 6 or so houses on our street and put the pregnancy test in his plastic pumpkin that he’d collected candy in. When we came home to show the grandparents (who had been handing out candy at our house) all our ‘loot’ from trick or treating, we dumped the bucket on the table and out came the test along with the Snickers, M&Ms and Reeses cups! They were rolling on the floor laughing b/c at first my mother in law was like… who would give you that stick? Is it a glow stick? And then she realized what it actually was!! haha.

9. carrie November 19, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

I love the email!! I stole that idea to announce to my coworkers, volleyball team, and walking group! It is Perfect!

10. pet rescue saga zynga poker hack 2014 March 22, 2014 at 3:24 pm #

I’ve been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or blog posts in this sort of area
    . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this web site.
    Studying this information So i’m satisfied to convey that I’ve an incredibly excellent
    uncanny feeling I came upon just what I needed. I such
    a lot for sure will make sure to do not omit this website
    and give it a glance regularly.

1. Graco Heart to Heart Blog - Five Ways to Announce Your Baby’s Gender - December 22, 2009

[...] Also check out our post on Top 10 Ways to Announce, “We’re Pregnancy” [...]