Introducing Argos 70, our New 3-in-1 Harnessed Booster Seat!

We have been moving and shaking here at Graco with lots of new products. I am happy to announce our newest car seat innovation, the Argos 70, 3-in-1 harnessed booster seat. The Graco Argos 70 is a forward-facing only, harnessed booster seat that converts from a harnessed car seat (20-70 lbs) to a high back belt-positioning booster (30-100 lbs), then finally to a backless belt-positioning booster (40-120 lbs).

harness, car seat, harnessed booster, 3-in-1 car seatTo start, this car seat is steel-reinforced & Safe Seat Engineered (which means it has gone through many different types of testing, such as Side Impact Testing, extreme weather testing, and other important safety reviews).

There are many features about this product that you will love. First, there are higher weight limits for two of the modes of use. In the harnessed booster mode, your child can use the harness up to 70 lbs. When you use Argos 70 as a backless booster, the seat holds a child up to 120 lbs (which helps support the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation that children ride in a booster seat until they are 4’9″).  Must-have features like the front adjust harness, integrated cup holder, and side storage compartment are also an added plus to this seat.

But, my favorite feature by far is the Simply Safe Adjust harness system.

This harness system allows you to quickly adjust the harness height & head rest at the same time and with one hand–no need to re-thread the harness! This car seat is great for car-pooling since you can easily and safely adjust the harness height without un-installing the seat. I was able to easily adjust the harness height and head rest so my little ones could check out the newest car seat.

My daughter, “PP,” is shown in the picture here. She is 50 lbs and she fit in this seat really well (Argos 70 comes with a toddler insert for even more cushioning if you’re using the seat with a smaller child).

This car seat is sure to impress! Pre-order it now at  Babies R Us or check it out at your local Target.

Tags: ,

102 Responses to “Introducing Argos 70, our New 3-in-1 Harnessed Booster Seat!”

1. Melissa Parlaman January 3, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

Hi Maribel. You are correct that the buckle is different from the one that you had before on the infant car seat. We have changed the type of buckles used & you have to push at the very top of the red button vs. in the middle of the buckle (like your infant car seat).

2. Melissa Parlaman January 3, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

Hi Marible. here is more specific directions from our car seat engineers:

To unbuckle:
    1. Loosen harness straps
    2. Tilt top of buckle toward seat
    3. Press in at the top of the red button and pull tongues out of buckle

3. Melissa Parlaman January 3, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

Hi Maribel. For your question on FAA approval, you can use the Argos on an airplane as a 5-point harness car seat but it is not approved for use on an airplane in booster mode.

4. Brigette January 11, 2012 at 6:39 am #

Just wondering if/when this seat will be available in Canada? I really like this seat and am contemplating driving to the states to purchase one but I’m unsure if this is something I would be allowed to bring back across the border seeing as how it most likely wouldn’t be approved by the Canadian safety standards?

5. Melissa Parlaman (Graco Contributor) January 11, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

Hi Brigette,
    At this time, this car seat is not compliant with Canadian standards but we are working on it. Once the car seat is compliant, we will write a blog post on its availability in Canada.
    thanks!
    Melissa

6. Amy January 13, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

I have a 36″ 27.5 lb 3yr old (12/08). Would the adjustable headrest wings be something that he’d benefit from or is that something that is based on each kid’s preference? The crotch strap length has me a bit worried, too.

I’m trying to decide between a Nautilus and a Argos Elite as a 2nd seat for him (he is currently RF in a Marathon).

Thank you!

Amy

7. Melissa Parlaman (Graco Contributor) January 13, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

Hi Amy,
    To answer your questions, the adjustable head rest is up to each child’s preference for comfort. As for the decision between Nautilus and Argos Elite, I personally love the no re-thread harness on Argos. So, I would go with Argos simply for not having to ever re-thread a harness! Good luck and thanks for buying Graco car seats!

8. Mark January 14, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

Melissa – we bought the Argos 70 from BuyBuyBaby today. We felt it was more comfortable than the Nautilus & the Britax Frontier. The crotch belt does seem a bit tight, but I will trust your engineers’ judgement as to the fit – perhaps there will be more room without her winter coat on and without diapers. I have left the insert in – my daughter weighs 31lbs & it’s recommended until 35 lbs. That should allow some more room when that’s removed.

My question is about changing the position of the crotch belt. I have tried it twice (once on the Nautilus in the store & once on our Argos). Both times, it was a bear, seems near impossible. I did not complete it because I didn’t want to force it & possibly break it. Is it just a matter of muscling the metal plate sideways through the slot? Or perhaps there is a trick I am missing? A video of this would be very helpful!

Thanks – Mark

9. Melinda January 16, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

Is there any update on when the Argos Elite will be available? I’ve seen it for sale online, from a seller other than BuyBuyBaby, so I was curious.

10. Kisha January 16, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

Mark, I’m pretty sure husband busted our crotch strap. Now It is neither in nor out, the plastic has been stressed and frankly so have we. I’ve never bought Greco products before and I surely will not again. We will be returning this ASAP, but I’d love to know the ‘special trick’ if you find one. Btw my son loved his britax frontier (and marathon before that) and we wouldn’t have replaced accept we were in an accident recently and had to part with it.

11. Melissa Parlaman (Graco Contributor) January 17, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

Hi Mark & Kisha,
    Here are some tips from our engineers:
    – fold the metal stop (located on the underside of the seat) to be in line with the webbing, then turn metal stop so that the corner fits into plastic slot, you can then push the metal detail from the underside as you pull the crotch buckle from the top side 9not much resistant should be seen), after this is released you can then push the metal stop through the other slot is a similar orientation.
    Hope this helps!
    Melissa

12. Karen January 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

Hi! I am debating between a Nautilus, Argos and Frontier. I think that height will be the limiting factor for my children. Can you tell me what the height limits are for harness & booster modes? Thanks!

13. Melissa Parlaman January 31, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Hi Karen,
    Here is the height info for both Nautilus & Argos:
    With Built-In Harness:
    Height: 27 to 52 inches

Without Built-In Harness:
    Height: 38 to 57 inches

Without Built-In Harness and Back Support:
    Height: 40 to 57 inches

Hope that helps!
    Melissa

14. Sil February 3, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

Hi Melissa,

I’m just wondering wich car seat is the best for my kid, I’m looking for the nautilus and the argo, wich one o you recomend?

Sil

15. Jamie February 3, 2012 at 8:14 pm #

Hi Melissa!

I’ve been researching a few different seats for my daughter and have narrowed it down to the nautilus or Argos. My daughter is 8 mos old and weighs 21 lbs. she is also 29 inches. Do u feel it’s too soon to start using the Argos? I’m struggling with the infant seat because the belt is too tight, but I also don’t want to get multiple seats.
    Your input will be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Jamie

16. Melissa Parlaman February 6, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

Hi Sil,
    Both the Argos and Nautilus are great seats. I personally would recommend the Argos purely for the no re-thread harness option (it is called the Simply Safe Adjust harness system). I have two kids and its great to be able to adjust the harness for the different size children. It is even great for car pooling since you can adjust the harness height and head rest height based on the size of the child. So, that would be my vote (my personal opinion). Hope that helps!
    Melissa

17. Melissa Parlaman February 6, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

Hi Jamie,
    The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children should ride rear-facing for 2 years. Because of that, I would advise that you look into a My Ride 65 or any of our other convertible car seats in order to keep your daughter rear-facing for the full 2 years. After she reaches her second birthday & if you decide to move her forward-facing, then you can select a Nautilus or Argos which will last you until your child doesn’t need a booster seat anymore. Hope this helps!
    Melissa

18. Dustin February 28, 2012 at 5:21 am #

What is the difference between the Argos and Argos Elite models?

19. Melissa Parlaman February 28, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

Hi Mark,
    The Argos 70 Elite will have two upgraded features from the regular Argos. The first feature is the height & width adjustable head rest. That may help support your child’s head better if they happen to doze off in the car (it is similar to how airplane seats used to be..). The other feature is an installation feature: the seat belt lock off. The seat belt lock off helps make seat belt installation easier. I hope this answers your questions. Melissa

20. Melissa Parlaman February 28, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Sorry..the last comment was intended for Dustin..

21. Liza March 16, 2012 at 6:03 am #

Hi Melissa,

For Argus 70, is the crotch strap the same length with the Nautilus 3 in1? My child is 4 and around 40 lbs. We have tried the Nautilus but the crotch strap bothers him. Can we get a longer crotch strap?

Thanks.

carol

22. Melissa Parlaman (Graco Contributor) March 16, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

Hi Liza,
    The crotch strap length of both the Argos & Nautilus are the same size. Unfortunately, you cannot request a longer crotch strap. We have passed this information to our engineers for consideration. Thank you for the comment!
    Melissa

23. Jessica Smith March 26, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

Any idea when the Argos Elite will be available? I really need that seatbelt lock off!

24. Melissa Parlaman March 29, 2012 at 12:28 am #

Hi Jessica,
    The Argos Elite has pretty limited distribution (mostly through specialty stores like USA Baby). Please use this link to see if there is a specialty store that carries the Argos Elite near your house:
    Melissa

25. Rami March 30, 2012 at 11:52 am #

Hi Melissa,
    i would like to know if you have an affiliate program and how can i jpin it?
    thanks
    Rami

26. Melissa P March 30, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

Melissa,

I read your post after buying the Argos this weekend. Both my husband and I have wrestled with adjusting the crotch strap mulitple times in the past week and we are completely unable to get it to feed through. If we try to turn the metal clasp, the fabric bunches up too much to feed it through. I was very excited about a seat that didn’t require us to take everything apart to adjust the shoulder straps that I did not play with the crotch strap at the store. Can I contact graco for a new strap and just cut it off? I am planning on returning the seat this weekend if that is not possible.

27. Kacie McKee April 3, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

Hi Melissa,
    We appreciate you reaching out and we are sorry you didn’t have a positive experience. We do not recommend cutting off the strap, as this is a potential safety concern. If you could contact our Graco Customer Service Line at 800-345-4109, we will help you resolve this right away. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to reach out again.

28. Anjali April 27, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

Hi Melissa,
    There have been many complaints regarding the buckle and difficulty in opening. Do you think there is a chance of (a) it getting easier with use or (b) Graco issuing a replacement buckle that’s easier to open. I’d like to buy the Argos for my 2 year old and never have to worry about buying another car seat, but the buckle issue bothers me.

29. richard April 29, 2012 at 12:23 am #

my wife just bought this, but we are going to return it due to the crotch strap.
    when we sit our child in it, the top part of the buckle digs into her legs. if its tight and digs into her legs now whats going to happen when shes two or three. plus the the stress factor of trying to adjust the thing! I had very high hopes, really cool looking seat.

30. Melissa Parlaman (Graco Contributor) April 30, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

Hi Anjali,
    Based on feedback we received on previous buckle designs, we have updated the design on the latest car seats. One tip to make it easier to open is to press the button at the top of the buckle, where there is a small dimple area. Hope that helps.
    Melissa

31. Sara May 1, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

Hi Melissa,

After much research I decided to buy the Argos especially since it was on sale at babies r us. I needed a booster for my older daughter so my now 1 yr old could now use the convertible car seat. I liked the fact that I could use the 5 pt harness on her for a little while longer since she is still under 40 lbs. While I like how easy it is to adjust the headrest/harness shoulder straps, I am having trouble tightening the harness after I have strapped my daughter in the seat. I can get it tight at her shoulders but below the chest buckle is still too loose no matter how hard I pull on the strap adjustment. I am starting to regret my decision to purchase it.

32. Cristina June 6, 2012 at 2:40 am #

We recently bought Argo 70, BRU had a certain color on sale… anyways, boy did we struggle getting that crotch strap out. Seriously, we had to use pliers and i forgot what else we tried to get it out. the fabric got bunched up. I struggled with it for 30 minutes. Then my husband took over. We were ready to return it. i don’t know how he managed to get it out.

Now i’m debating if i want to buy a second Argo for my almost 2 year old. My 6 year old loves it, but that was a pain.

Another thing i really don’t like is that unbuckling it. When we were trying out other seats, the Frontier was simple. i could release it with one hand. With our Argo, i have to use both my hands and even then, sometimes i struggle.

33. Grandmother S June 10, 2012 at 3:04 am #

In one of your replies from April about the update to the elite carseat how will I know which is the most current & updated. We are torn between the Maxi Corso and the Argos 70 Elite. We want to make sure we are getting one that is safe, lite & easy to work with. Concerned Grandmother that had an 80′s baby when there was only a few car seats to choose from!

34. Stephanie June 18, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

Is there a trick to making the seat recline? There doesn’t seem anyway to grasp the bottom piece to pull it out. Thanks

35. DJ July 5, 2012 at 12:16 am #

After wrestling my Argos 70 around in the floor for nearly a half hour in an unsuccessful attemp to move the crotch strap, the light came on. Instead of trying to turn the buckle to a 90 degree angle then push thru the slot and being thwarted by the bunched up strap, simply fold the buckle back to the strap and insert the buckle thru the slot at the slightest angle you can. Dang, then it just pops right thru. No pliers, now screwdriver, no hammer, no problem! I went from being an idiot to being a genius! Sometimes simple escapes me………..

36. Jelliete July 12, 2012 at 11:57 am #

For the love of God, please listen to your customers and remedy the crotch strap and buckle!! Not only is it IMPOSSIBLE to buckle and unbuckle, it’s painful to older children whom the seat is supposed to accommodate. It is very concerning to have a buckle so tight (especially for boys in this region) and worried about unbuckling in an emergency.

37. Nichole July 19, 2012 at 12:45 am #

To DJ (July 5 2012)

THANK YOU!!!!!!! You were so right, that makes it just pop through in seconds! It was magic.

TO ALL others struggling with the crotch strap, please find and listen to the advice of DJ. It works with complete ease.

Good luck and enjoy your new car seat. Now, we can! :-)

38. Brad Doll July 30, 2012 at 9:39 pm #

To DJ (July 5 2012)

Thanks! I was ready to take it back too and was using a plyers. I actually frayed the belt some so I’m going to exchange it but now I know “the trick”!

39. Arnold August 2, 2012 at 1:33 am #

Hi Melissa. Is this car seat not yet available in Canada?

40. Jenn D August 3, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

Hi Melissa,

I see you mentioned in April the buckle has been redesigned. How do we know which models in the stores have this redesigned buckle? Is there a specific model number we can look for?

We are interested in this seat but have big concerns over the buckle as well as the crotch strap.

Thanks,
    Jenn

41. Jennifer August 9, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

Not sure what to do here. I loved the features of the Argos. I had to order it online since we live in a small town. My son will be four in October and is a little guy approx. 37 Lbs and thin. The crotch strap design is horrible! Manual says “close to, but not under”. Well this is not ging to last very long at all. Why is there not a third slot? Now I’m debating on if we need to go with a different brand we can’t afford so he can be safe. Any suggestions?

As for moving the crotch strap, I had no issue and had it moved within a minutes time. Pretty simple.

42. PG August 21, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

I spent an hour trying to take the crotch strap out and eventually gave up. I decided to call the Graco customer service and spoke with a very nice lade – Loius. And with her instructions over the phone that “frustrating” crotch strap came out of the slot in 10 seconds!!!
    So the trick is that you place the car seat upside down, front side facing you. Put one hand under the seat and pull the crotch strap down such that there is no slack and the buckle is laying flat over the slot. Use your other hand to slightly pull up the buckle and slightly turn it sideways to insert it into the slot, all the while maintaining the downward pull to the strap. Without any slack in the strap its amazing how easily the buckle just slides through the slot. I hope I explained it correctly and its helpful. If it does not help then pick up your phone and call the toll free number instead of struggling with it yourself. Peace :-)

43. Ashley September 1, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

I totally agree with the previous comments about the crotch strap. My 5 yr old is quite thin and it is pretty snug. Graco, please make a longer strap that we can use to replace the current one. We love this seat and intend to keep our son harnessed as long as possible. I really don’t want to return this seat.

44. Kristin September 1, 2012 at 7:24 pm #

I have the Graco Nautilus and have had no problems with it. We just purchased the Argos 70 for our other car, thinking since it was newer, it would be at least the same as the Nautilus if not better. The straps are extremely difficult to tighten. I can deal with the difficult and small clasp for snapping in the harness belts, but tightening the straps is ridiculous. I have read thread after thread of others with the same issue. Anyone have a trick for that? I cannot adjust the head rest easily with dd in the seat. I also don’t like leaving the straps as is when getting her in or out. It’s too hard getting her in and out without having the straps loosened. It just shouldn’t be soooo difficult getting them tight again! may just end up taking it back and getting the Nautilus again. This is so frustrating!

45. Stephani September 4, 2012 at 5:08 am #

Hi so my little guy just turned 4 years old and is almost 43 inches tall and is 38 lbs and I was wondering if I can use the 5 point harness on my little guy with this car seat?

46. karen October 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

Can I recline the seat after it is installed in the car or is this something I need to do before? Also what recline position is the safest?

47. Senthil October 2, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

Hi,

I would like to know the difference between
    Argos™ 70 Car Seat and Nautilus™ 3-in-1 Car Seat. Both looks same model except some texture for me. Please clarify on these two.

Appreciate your support.

48. Jelliete November 27, 2012 at 3:51 am #

Is that it then? Everyone is concerned about the crotch strap and buckle but there is no answer. My little one is now having an incontinance issue only in this seat, I suspect from the pressure placed in this region. He is well under the weight/height limits. I will be contacting customer service to replace this seat since now it is too old to return, too expensive to toss. Thanks Graco for your wonderful response 5 months and still no word.

49. Allison December 17, 2012 at 1:17 am #

Very disappointed in this seat. Nothing indicated it was not for rear-facing. New guidelines state for the child to be rear-facing until 2 years, but yet the weight starts at 20 lbs. I would really hope your 2 year old weighs more than 20 pounds. I had to drive 2 hours to the nearest Babies R Us to purchase this seat and have to make another trip to return it.

50. Kate February 24, 2013 at 1:54 am #

I wanted to know if the only difference between the Argos and the Nautilus is…

Weight range booster (lbs.)
    30-120
    30-100

Weight range harness (lbs.)
    20-70
    20-65

I ask because Consumer Report gives the Nautilus a better rating by 1 point. I purchase from Amazon and there is a Nautilus (Matrix) for $129.00 or (Garnet) for $174.98 and their Argos (Martin) is $199. That is a ridiculous price difference in the Nautilus design considering you’re simply paying for different colors. Seems to me, going with the cheapest, and best rated is the way to go… unless there is something I’m not getting about the Argos (because no 100-120 kid is going to use a booster… and it’s pretty dumb to pay $70 for an extra 5 lb limit in the harness.