September is a double whammy for safety, since this month plays host to National Child Passenger Safety Month and National Baby Safety Month. Since child and baby safety is at the center of everything we do at Graco, this month is one of our favorites! To get the conversation started, here are some things to think about this (and every!) month. Feel free to add your own in the comments!
- Install. Proper installation is paramount for car seats to work properly. Make sure that your seat is installed properly by referring to your instruction manual. If you’re still unsure, visit your local fire station or go to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for a check station near you (free in most cases!).
- Crawl. A great way to see what your child sees is to get down on your knees and crawl around the house. You’ll be looking at the world from baby’s vantage point, so you might find some things that you need to remove to “baby proof” your home.
- Survey. It’s important to take a look in the yard every time your children go outside to play. Make sure there’s no lawn equipment left out that could harm them.
- Eat Together. Don’t leave toddlers alone while eating—they still need to be supervised. Plus, eating together is fun!
- Little Savers. Getting a piggy bank is a great way to teach children about saving and to make sure that coins that might otherwise end up on the floor or in seat cushions (for little ones to find) end up safely away from little mouths.
Stay tuned to our Heart to Heart blog for more safety-related posts this month. What are some of your best tips for keeping your little ones safe?