Top Things to Know about Graco’s Harness Buckle Recall

We’ve been listening closely to all of your questions about the Harness Buckle Recall.  At Graco, we want to help ensure you are equipped with accurate information about your Graco car seat and in particular this recall. Here are the important things you need to know:

1. Knowing if your car seat is a part of the recall:  We are recalling the harness buckle in our toddler convertible and harnessed booster seats because some consumers told us that their harness buckles have become progressively more difficult to open over time or become stuck in the latched position especially if it gets clogged up with food or dirt. We want your car seat to operate perfectly. So, if your harness buckle seems sticky, Graco will send you a new replacement buckle at no cost.
  2. Ordering your new replacement harness buckle:  You can order your replacement harness buckle now by using this online order form. It only takes a minute. Consumers who have already registered their car seat with Graco will automatically receive a notification letter in the mail to order a replacement harness buckle – no action is needed.
  3. Reaching Graco’s Customer Service Team:  We’re sorry to say that we are experiencing higher than normal call volumes so we apologize for the long wait time. Please consider using this online form to order your replacement harness buckle — it will only take a minute. If you have questions, you can also reach us at blog@gracobaby.com. We’ll be happy to help.
  4. Waiting for your new harness buckle:  Graco can assure you that this recall does not impact the performance of your Graco car seat or its effectiveness in restraining your child. You can continue to use the car seat while waiting on the new buckle.  In the meantime, we recommend these tips to clean your buckle – it helps!
  5. 411 on the replacement harness buckle:  Based on consumer feedback, we have converted the harness buckles in many of our toddler car seats. So, you should check first to see if you need a new buckle or not. We began sending the new and improved harness buckles (with the red square button) to consumers who were experiencing difficulty opening their harness buckles in June. So far, we’ve received great feedback from consumers who have the new replacement harness buckle saying they find it easier to use.
  6. Replacing the harness buckle is easy:  We have created detailed instructions and a video to help consumers replace the harness buckle in their car seats. In most car seats, the process of replacing your harness buckle is similar to adjusting your harness straps and crotch strap position to accommodate a growing child or removing your soft goods to clean them.

Ashley Mowrey

Ashley is the PR and Consumer Engagement Manager at Graco. She loves catching up with friends on Facebook, relaxing at the beach and playing baseball with her three boys, Evan, Chase & Connor.

61 Responses to “Top Things to Know about Graco’s Harness Buckle Recall”

1. Sarah February 14, 2014 at 2:00 am #

The only issue I have is the strap is still stuck in my buckle. Is there anything safe to use to get it out like WD40 or do I need to get replacement shoulder straps too? At this point the only way I would be able to get it out is to cut it. Not getting a response from anywhere and very disappointed.

2. USA February 14, 2014 at 3:57 am #

What about us with seats bought in Canada?

3. Ashley Mowrey February 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm #

Great question. This recall is only covers car seats distributed in the US. However, if you have difficulty with your harness buckle, please contact the customer service team in Canada and they will be happy to help you.
    Tel: 514-344-3533 or 800-667-8184
    Fax: 514-344-9296
    Email: service@graco.net

4. Ashley Mowrey February 14, 2014 at 2:00 pm #

Thanks for reaching out, Sarah. We will reach out to you offline and are more than happy to help you with your issue. Thanks.

5. Crystal February 14, 2014 at 7:50 pm #

@Sarah, This occured for my daughter 2 years ago in her Nautlius Carseat (it didn’t have anything to do with food or liquids) and what worked for us was to press down on the buckle again (as if you were latching it) then try to press the release button. I hope it helps you while you wait for your replacement buckle.

6. Daniel Mejia February 14, 2014 at 10:35 pm #

What if i have bought a seat in the US but now I am living in Colombia south america

7. Larissa February 15, 2014 at 12:34 am #

I have had 3 buckles fail! First time both my car seats the same day! To different colors and 2 different manufacture dates. That was Oct. 2012 (not even a year after I bought them and 14 months after date of manufacture). Then my daughters fail again with her in it on Dec. 23! It was bitter cold and no fun!! Graco has been great and sent replacements (and they come with the shoulder straps). I

8. Mariano February 15, 2014 at 7:06 am #

Hi i am in same situation as Daniel, I boght it in US toy r us columus OH, but now the car seat is in Argentina (nautilus 3in1).

Any solution for us?
    Thanks in advance

9. Himani February 16, 2014 at 8:55 am #

Hi,

I purchased classic ride 50 with mfd date of october 2013 in India. What about the ones purchased outside Us/Canada? I am not sure if this one falls under recall category based on mfd date. The box is still unpacked so I am not aware if the buckle button is square or circular. However do I need to worry and unwrap the box if manufacturing date in oct 2013?

10. Christy smith February 19, 2014 at 12:17 am #

Is the my ride 65 included in the recall?

11. zann February 19, 2014 at 12:32 am #

I just want to say, and I will also be calling, I called Graco on this issue a couple of years ago. It started immediately after purchasing my sons seat, so nothing to do with food or drink. (Also, the only food or drink allowed in my car is water.) I was treated like I was stupid, told flat out that I wasn’t unlatching it properly, that it was ME. I finally got a new buckle, after calling 3 times! VERY unhappy with how I was treated.

12. Mariano February 19, 2014 at 8:31 pm #

Hi, I am in Argentina as commented in previous post.

I have found in Graco web site the international resellers list.

I contact and they give me a solution. As soon as they receive the replacement part from USA they will send it to me by post mail.

Grate customer service from Graco and local representative company Wayna SA.

link FYI: http://www.gracobaby.com/contactus/pages/contactusinternational.aspx

thanks again.
    Mariano.

13. Lisa February 20, 2014 at 9:25 pm #

I live in the UK. How do I get hold of a new harness etc. I have a nautilus and my buckle is the one pictured that is being recalled.

14. michelle February 21, 2014 at 5:59 pm #

I was planning on ordering a Smart Seat in the next few weeks. Will it have the appropriate buckle??

15. Me February 21, 2014 at 8:49 pm #

Apart from the buckle, when will Graco be RELEASING the My Size 70 car seat so that I can purchase one?? I’ve been researching on car seats for a while and decided that this is the seat I want. My son is a couple weeks from outgrowing his Graco infant seat. I need this new one. Can someone give me an approximate date or can I buy one directly from Graco??? Please, thanks.

16. Lauren Z. February 22, 2014 at 4:37 am #

I would also like to know when we’ll be able to purchase the MySize 70. Thanks!

17. Melissa McKay February 22, 2014 at 5:12 am #

I just bought 2 of the snug ride click connect 30′s as I’m due with twins. Mine werent listed on the recall list as they are infant seats but i googled and found a picture of the recalled buckles and they are the buckles on my seats. Am I going to have a hard time getting 2 replacement buckles also will I have a problem because the car seats I have aren’t mentioned in the recall even though they DO have the recalled buckles?

18. Melissa McKay February 22, 2014 at 5:20 am #

Whoops ignore that post I just ordered 2 for that style with zero problem… Thanks in advance.

19. brandi February 23, 2014 at 9:07 pm #

i was wondering how long before i get the replacement buckles

20. Krose February 24, 2014 at 10:43 am #

I have 2 infant sests (one being a entire travel system) I have researched the buckle of the recalled seats and it is in my opinion that my seats have this exact buckle. I dont feel comfortable replacing a recalled buckle as I am not trained nor qualified to do so. Doesnt make sense for me to replace a recall buckle when if there is a serious issue with the replacement or how it was installed I am liable and not graco.

21. Angelle February 25, 2014 at 12:56 pm #

Hi,
    I went online and filled out the form to receive a new buckle for my child’s car seat. I received a letter from Newell Rubbermaid telling me ” please package the product and affix the enclosed label to the outside of the package. Please include this letter with a brief description of the problem. Take the package to the appropriate carrier or call the carrier at 1-800-go-fedex to schedule a pick up.
    Upon receipt of your product, it will be evaluated for manufacturing defects. IF a defect is found, we will gladly handle the issue for you. If no apparent defect is found, we will contact you.
    If replacing the product, we are unable to guarantee the same exact product, color, or pattern. We will do our best to match what you have.
    Please include a copy of your sales receipt if possible.
    ****this offer is void 30 days after the date of issue. **

sincerely,
    Consumer Services
    Sara Jane
    ——————————————————-

This is completely unacceptable!!! I cannot take apart my child’s car seat that she is using! I am not going to buy another car seat in the interim! If Graco does not take care of this, I will NEVER buy another graco product. If someone from Graco doesnt contact me SOON, I will post this letter on social networking for everyone to see how a recall is handled by Graco! I cannot reach a Graco representative because its either busy or I get a message telling me to call back later or on another day! I am very dissappointed at the handling of this issue.

22. JAMES February 25, 2014 at 2:21 pm #

You are all bigger babies than your babies. Get over it you little brats. How do you leave the house if you are so petrified of a little inconvenience. Your children will be even sadder than you.

23. Angela March 2, 2014 at 10:29 pm #

How frustrating. I spent roughly $150 on the nautilus thinking it was the best choice outside of the britax. The buckle was always difficult compared to the other seat I have in my husband car, but it became so difficult that I ended up having to cut her out of it after about 30 minutes of doing everything imaginable to release the buckle. As she was wailing and panicked, I just gave up and figured it was my only solution and so that’s what I did. Then, what do you know, a few months later this issue comes to light and many other people report the same thing. We have since replaced the car seat, but what a major bummer to throw $150 away on a seat that I bought to grow with her. I guess that wasn’t actually going to be the last seat I purchased. Maybe I am just an impatient “whiny baby” as someone has so graciously pointed out above, but if you have been in that situation then it’s pretty frustrating to say the least and eventually when you just aren’t making any progress, you give up. I don’t really regret my decision bc in the moment there didn’t seem to be another way out, but I do wish that there were better follow up means as I bought the seat from Amazon and never once was I made aware of this recall. I didn’t find out about it until I was telling some other parent friends about it and they advised me of the recall. Couldn’t you or Amazon had made some effort to contact verified purchasers? Is that too much to ask? I mean, how hard would it have been to simply take the email address of every purchase and send a simple notice? Anyway, like I said, it was always rather difficult and often had me spending a few minutes getting her undone but toward the end there, it became so difficult that I felt I had no other choice. Oh well, right? My problem, I guess, but would have appreciated a proper heads up. I resent the suggestion that food and drink contributes to some part of the difficulty. Many of us parents are familiar with how dirty a car seat can get but please don’t pretend that there wasn’t some defect in the buckle itself. It’s just insulting. You had a part that just didn’t work very well. Own it. Even in the nastiest of nasty crusty juice and crumb coated buckle, it should never take 10-15 minutes to retrieve your child nor should your last ditch effort result in cutting them loose with scissors. Give me a break, Graco.

Sincerely,
    A whiny brat baby bigger than my baby, according to a man named James that wastes time reading recall notices on baby sites.

Angela

James, your outrage over these comments is just hilarious. Please have a seat.

24. Sue S March 3, 2014 at 8:52 pm #

I ordered a replacement buckle and have not received any confirmation that my request was received nor that it is being shipped. I did provide my email as requested on the form. I realize there are over 3million seats recalled, I just want to know when I should be receiving the new buckle for My Ride 65.

25. Mariah storey March 4, 2014 at 2:24 am #

Just read the explanation on why the infant seats are not included ie those kids do not eat and drink so they don’t need to be replaced. Wrong! My baby like many has reflux and his buckle is constantly being soaked in spit up.

26. Bridget March 7, 2014 at 6:07 pm #

I have 6 car seats between 2 kids and 3 cars. All 6 are Gracos. All 6 harness buckles have been recalled. I registered all 6 products when I got the products. Graco has NEVER contacted me regarding the recall (though their website says all registered product owners will receive notice). I had to call to get the replacement. I called 2/13/14 and the representative confirmed my products were registered (I couldn’t confirm at that time myself because I couldn’t get on the website..too much volume?)…yet I was not notified about the recall, much less sent any replacement products. So, the representative put in an order anyway. I have an order number, but no product. Has anyone actually received these replacements yet? I can also relate to another user who brought the issue up with Graco before the recall. I did the same and nothing was done about it. And, it is a big deal. As soon as somebody can’t get their child out of the seat in an emergency, there will be a lawsuit. I will also post this on social media since Graco is unresponsive.

27. Bridget March 7, 2014 at 6:17 pm #

and another thing…Graco says they have provided customers with a solution to replace the harness buckles since June 2013.
    1. When I complained in 2014 before the recall issue, I was not offered a replacement…just tips for cleaning
    2. If they did actually offer replacements in June 2013, then they were aware of the issue…so then why were car seats manufactured after June 2013 equipped with a defective harness? 2 of my 6 Graco seats were manufactured July 1, 2013. These 2 seats have the recalled harness buckle.

28. Tricia wojdon March 9, 2014 at 2:55 pm #

I completed the online form over a month ago and haven’t rec’d a reply or the replacement buckle. How long does it take to receive the new one and why haven’t I rec’d any communication from Graco about the status. Thank you

29. Tricia wojdon March 9, 2014 at 3:00 pm #

@ Bridget – I completely agree. If they knew about the recall why did they continue to manufacture the seats with the same buckle?? I am not happy and will never purchase another Graco product. That’s sad too b/c they were always a strong leader in the baby industry. Not to me anymore. I still haven’t rec’d my buckle it’s been over a month and no response. I had also registered my seat back in July 2012 and never rec’d anything. I am NOT happy!!!

30. Jeff March 10, 2014 at 6:17 pm #

I ordered replacements on 2/13. What is the time frame for delivery? Has anyone received replacements yet?

31. Mehnaz March 11, 2014 at 6:09 pm #

When will we be receiving the replacements??? It’s been a month and no feedback on the time frame we should expect.

32. Tim March 11, 2014 at 6:32 pm #

Apparently this has turned into a blackhole, very poor communication from the folks at Graco. I too ordered replacement harness’ over a month ago and have yet to receive any response, not even an acknowledgment of my order. Even tried to send an inquiring email, but the address above on the website is WRONG!, clicking on it will bring up the address blog@gracybaby.com which will bounce unless edited. Get it together Graco!!!

33. Shelby March 12, 2014 at 3:51 pm #

I contacted you guys over a month ago to get a replacement harness for my sons car seat and I still have not received it. How long does it usually take to be mailed out and delivered?

34. Olivia March 12, 2014 at 7:46 pm #

I called today and waited on hold to talk to a real person, and found out the buckles are going to take 6-8 weeks before they ship. I’m only on week 4. :(

35. Terri Sherard March 13, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

How long will it take to recieve the replacemt buckle after filling out the order form? I ordered mine a month ago so I was just curious how long it takes and when I can expect them.

36. Emily March 13, 2014 at 6:46 pm #

Why exactly is the Snugride 35 not on the official list? The reason given doesn’t make sense to me. 35 lbs means I used it well into my baby’s second year, and yeah they were able to eat in it, and I NEVER took it out of the car because I didn’t like that feature, I liked it to stay in the car permanently like a toddler seat. If this is a problem with the buckles, all the seats using the buckles should be part of the recall.

37. Jeff March 13, 2014 at 8:24 pm #

And I thought Cable TV companies were bad with communication. I’m glad I had this experience before purchasing our booster seats for my kids. They have definitely lost a customer.

38. Katie March 14, 2014 at 1:20 am #

When are replacements going to be shipping? I ordered these 3 weeks ago and still nothing. Can anyone confirm that they have shipped out?!

39. Rachel March 14, 2014 at 4:06 am #

Waiting here for the buckles too…… I love how the first two posts were responded to in a timely fashion but then total crickets. Graco – please let us know when we will receive our buckles. In the meantime, I’m keeping a pair of scissors in the car just in case I need to cut my kid out of his carseat!!

40. Melissa Palmucci March 14, 2014 at 10:37 am #

I submitted a request for two new buckles over four weeks ago and stil have not received them. When should I expect them?

41. S March 14, 2014 at 11:09 am #

“We began sending the new and improved harness buckles (with the red square button) to consumers who were experiencing difficulty opening their harness buckles in June.”

Funny.. When I complained back in the end of June about my buckle, I was sent a new buckle that was identical to the one I already had (and now has been recalled).

It’s been over a month since the recall and I still haven’t received my buckles. What’s the turn around time? I expected a couple weeks and it’s now been twice that long.

42. Meghan March 14, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

I ordered the replacement buckles for my seats WEEKS ago and have yet to see them arrive. I then returned the seats to Target and they refunded full retail value so I was able to get two new Nautilus car seats with the new buckle. Also our local Babies R us is allowing returns as well!

43. TK March 14, 2014 at 2:17 pm #

How about some feedback Graco. It’s been well over a month since requesting the replacement buckle for my RECALLED car seat and have received jack squat. Not even an answer to my three follow up email requesting information or an anticipated ship date. Your service and PR departments are a joke. You won’t even respond to your own blog posts.

44. Sue Volpe March 14, 2014 at 5:52 pm #

I have the Turbo Booster item #1774833. Is it on the recall list?

45. Lora March 14, 2014 at 8:07 pm #

I went online and filled out the replacement form. I got a responde email that they received it and will send my part immediately. It’s been 5 weeks and I still haven’t received my part.

46. Magan March 15, 2014 at 3:15 pm #

I filled out a request for straps on the 20th of February and I still haven’t received them? Do you know how long it’s taking?

47. Frank March 17, 2014 at 9:24 am #

Scissors for the belts on the car seats…check! I think Graco is laughing because the parts are never coming to us.

48. Sandra March 17, 2014 at 8:11 pm #

I’m aware of the recall, but since I already ordered replacement buckles, I decided to stop by the store to buy another Smart Seat for one of our other vehicles and the store said they were not able to sell me the car seat. When do you anticipate that retail stores or even online stores, such as Amazon, will have the car seats available for sale again?

49. Jim March 17, 2014 at 8:22 pm #

On 13 February, I ordered one replacement buckle under the recall, and it arrived in today’s mail.

50. April March 18, 2014 at 4:17 pm #

I hope the new replacement belt helps! I’m so glad for the recall! This has been a problem since day one of having the Argos 70!