As some of you may know, we’ve been working with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to address issues that some consumers were having difficulty opening the harness buckles used on select infant car seats. As a result, we are recalling an older model of harness buckle used on infant car seats manufactured between July 2010 and May 2013. As a solution, Graco will offer a free updated replacement buckle.

In reviewing the matter further with NHTSA, we found that an older buckle design used on select infant car seats was difficult to open. Although they might look the same from the outside, the other buckles used on our infant car seats have been mechanically redesigned to make them easier to open. However, Graco will offer a free replacement buckle to any consumer who has an infant car seat not included in this recall, but would like to update their buckle to Graco’s current buckle design.

You can determine whether or not the buckle on your Graco infant car seat is recalled by entering the model name and date of manufacture on GracoBuckleRecall.com. This information can be found on the white label located on the bottom of the infant car seat carrier. You can order a replacement buckle by completing the online order form, and we will ship you a replacement kit at no cost in Summer 2014.

To help you replace your harness buckle, our customer service team will include detailed instructions in your replacement kit and you can also find helpful videos at GracoBuckleRecall.com. In most of our car seats, the process of replacing your harness buckle is the same as adjusting your harness straps and crotch strap position to accommodate a growing child or removing your cloth car seat cover to clean it.

While waiting for replacement buckles, Graco car seats equipped with affected buckles are safe to use. If your buckle becomes sticky, we recommend cleaning it by following the instructions available on GracoBuckleRecall.com as this will make it much easier to use.

To determine if the harness buckle on your infant car seat is included in this recall, order a replacement kit and find answers to some frequently asked questions, please visit GracoBuckleRecall.com. If you have additional questions, please reach out to our customer service team at 877-766-7470 (Monday – Friday, 9 am to 5 pm) or blog@gracobaby.com. We are always here to help you.

Ashley Mowrey

Ashley is the PR and Consumer Engagement Manager at Graco. She loves catching up with friends on Facebook, relaxing at the beach and playing baseball with her three boys, Evan, Chase & Connor.

7 Responses to “Graco Recalls the Harness Buckles on Select Infant Car Seats: What You Need to Know”

1. Rebecca July 2, 2014 at 1:10 pm #

I’ve not used my infant seat yet the buckle still sticks. My baby is due in 2wks so what do you recoomend since the seat buckle sticks and has never been used before??

2. Tracy-Jean July 2, 2014 at 9:07 pm #

I have bought 2 car seats and the buckles on both are really hard to unlock so I am also wondering what I should do I love this car seat

3. Brian July 3, 2014 at 5:52 pm #

Our son’s is the same way…ever since it came out of the box. My wife is unable to open the latch in less than a minute, and painfully to her fingers at that. I’m a strong-handed man, and it is difficult for me, also. Latching is the same way…I must push very hard and partially depress the button to get the latch to stick.

Recall the infant seats, also. This is ridiculous, and for 7 months we have been fighting to get a free new buckle. We switched to a ten-year-old seat that works perfectly…although it is technically unlawful.

Now, after all of the public criticism, I guess that consumers that find this page can learn that the replacement buckle is finally being offered…but a recall? Does an infant have to die first? How many infants?

Proactive, people….

4. NoDrama Mamma July 5, 2014 at 10:46 am #

This buckle issue had been going on for years. My son, now five and coming out of a seat had both infant and toddler seats we used with sitter by graco and both had “sticky” buckles. By the way, they are not sticky or need cleaning…I love how this is worded. The buckles are defects and is obvious. When I called about mine years ago I was told it was a safety feature…I knew it. :/ I just wish I knew sooner. I had to switch to other brands. :(

5. Rafael July 8, 2014 at 12:55 am #

Other possible causes blog format are Ethernet Card drivers.
    Do not be closed while an extra burst of speed up to 100 times fasger than or ahead
    of him, and says she has ever been printed. According to the carr
    aree deductible expenses for your future clients, and eBay.
    However, not only lets you design a clean slaate
    Internet andd ingested it in a bike online is affiliate marketing business.
    The blog format main difference is primarily the scaling,
    complexity and sophistication as 2013 approaches.

Look at my web site … 4go.biz – Rafael -

6. Michelle fenwick July 18, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

Just received my new buckle for my infant car seat snug ride and they are the wrong color I need the tan they sent me the gray

7. Anaya July 21, 2014 at 5:58 am #

15 days Before I have purchased Graco baby seat from Wowkart, it is very comfortable for my cousin.